What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Goldie146 replied on 17/03/2021 13:41

Posted on 17/03/2021 13:41

Several pages of posts ago I talked about winning a raffle prize in a Zoom Bingo evening - my husband has just collected it (essential local journey) and it's not a pack of sauages as was suggested - but a 40 cm charcoal kettle barbecue (a Weber look a like). Plus tools.

We're not sure what we will do with it - we have a larger one for home, and a smaller one for the caravan. Maybe keep for big parties!

brue replied on 17/03/2021 16:23

Posted on 17/03/2021 16:23

Had a pleasant walk around NT Lytes Cary earlier today, not busy and it was good to visit a different place. We sat on a bench in the sun and had a coffee and cake, a lot colder this afternoon so glad we went in the morning. 

Last photo shows a field full of ant hills. 🐜

ABM replied on 17/03/2021 17:53

Posted on 17/03/2021 12:23 by Bakers2

ABM I feel your pain. Shopping is a nightmare. Sugar appears to be in everything especially the least likely products . so difficult. 

Posted on 17/03/2021 17:53

I've just spent a while on line, Bakers2, trawling thro the different s/markets and the cereals that they sell. Some mark them as anything from 6 to 11 grammes of sugar per serving ~~  it is only when you look rather closer that it becomes obvious that they use different amounts for a " SERVING" ~~ anything from two biscuits / 30 grammes up to 50 grammes.  Dammit I need to take a secretary / accountant with me !!

If I get these figures wrong, I can foresee a few dodgy early mornings on the horizon  !!

P.S. I forgot to growl & grouse about the manufacturers habit of using the term " No Added Sugar " ~~ in some cases they couldn't add more sugar if they tried without just increasing the size of a serving ,  mutter, mutter, growl, snarl.

Now I think I'll go and fry up a few Ice cream cones -- empty ones of course.

Brian wink

RedKite replied on 17/03/2021 18:09

Posted on 17/03/2021 18:09

Hi Brian sorry you have had a day sorting out cereals, OH is type 2 diabetes and has own brands of cornflakes nature over here and 1 portion 30g is 2g of sugar as he always looks at sugar levels carefully and usually here done by the 100g, he has quarter of a granny smith apple and 2 small clementines with the cornflakes plus milk used to have grapes but they are getting expensive but has had apples for about 15 years now, he does have 1 insulin dose in the morning and seem to be ok and the doctor is ok with his results. Hope this helps as he said most cereals over here are too sugary even the bio ones.

A cold breezy day here and getting colder through the rest of the week.

Glad you had a good walk around Lytes Cary brue I have memories of doing the edging around the yew trees in the garden.

Bakers2 replied on 17/03/2021 19:50

Posted on 17/03/2021 18:13 by RedKite

Forgot to say Brian I have porridge and that has 0.7g per 100g  but OH not to keen on porridge.

Posted on 17/03/2021 19:50

You beat me to it, I was going to suggest porridge, not up on sugar levels, thankfully, but it's very good for you and cholesterol levels. Make with milk or water, or a mixture. Quick in the microwave. I have with milled Linwood seeds stirred in and throw a few fresh or frozen blueberries on top. Not sure on their sugar levels, but I know grapes are high.

Of course you could soak oats overnight in milk/water/yogurt, stir in nuts, seeds??

It seems the only way to only have naturally occurring sugars is to start with the basic ingredients and batch cook and freeze so you've something to grab without effort all the time. One of my granddaughter's has several allergies and I'm glad I don't have to shop for her. Our daughter spends ages reading labels like you, but came a cropper recently as she grabbed what they usually have to discover, after a reaction, an ingredient had changed. Never ending... Sadly we have no constant labelling so quick comparisons can be made,.

I know you're very experienced ABM but it's good to hear you comment because it makes me grateful for not having to consider intake in such minute detail fingers and input crossed 😉

nelliethehooker replied on 17/03/2021 20:32

Posted on 16/03/2021 23:15 by Tinwheeler

Oh, I wish!  £53 p/m for us - metered 😧

Posted on 17/03/2021 20:32

We're less than half that at £22 pm, but it could well change this year as we've been home for about twice as long as in a normal year.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook