What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

brue replied on 17/03/2021 20:48

Posted on 17/03/2021 19:50 by Bakers2

You beat me to it, I was going to suggest porridge, not up on sugar levels, thankfully, but it's very good for you and cholesterol levels. Make with milk or water, or a mixture. Quick in the microwave. I have with milled Linwood seeds stirred in and throw a few fresh or frozen blueberries on top. Not sure on their sugar levels, but I know grapes are high.

Of course you could soak oats overnight in milk/water/yogurt, stir in nuts, seeds??

It seems the only way to only have naturally occurring sugars is to start with the basic ingredients and batch cook and freeze so you've something to grab without effort all the time. One of my granddaughter's has several allergies and I'm glad I don't have to shop for her. Our daughter spends ages reading labels like you, but came a cropper recently as she grabbed what they usually have to discover, after a reaction, an ingredient had changed. Never ending... Sadly we have no constant labelling so quick comparisons can be made,.

I know you're very experienced ABM but it's good to hear you comment because it makes me grateful for not having to consider intake in such minute detail fingers and input crossed 😉

Posted on 17/03/2021 20:48

I like plain porridge with low fat milk, nothing else and the microwave has made it so much easier to make, no more sticky porridge saucepans. smile

JollyKernow replied on 17/03/2021 20:51

Posted on 17/03/2021 12:12 by Francis

When we stayed at the club site in Looe a few years ago we went to the CODY Shack  it was excellent we really liked it also loved the little 3 wheeler Reliant they had outside 

Posted on 17/03/2021 20:51

Hi

I've had several reliant 3 wheelers in the past, lovely little motors! Tried to buy that one from the coddy last year but they were having none of it.

Proper fish & chips though. I've seen queues of 50+ people there on a Friday eveningsurprised

JK

Takethedogalong replied on 17/03/2021 21:00

Posted on 17/03/2021 13:19 by DavidKlyne

Don't forget that value at which a Council Tax band was decided was frozen at 1991 values in England. So providing you lived in the house after 1991 you could have doubled the size of the house, adding of course to it's value but you would still pay Council Tax based on the 1991 valuation. Personally I feel this is very unfair. We extended our house prior to 1991 and our tax band was increased accordingly. One of our neighbours extended his house by a much larger proportion than we did but after 1991 and still pays at his original tax band and over the years I reckon I have paid £3/4000 extra in Council Tax which I am a bit miffed about. Apparently I have no option to appeal because the tax was set correctly according to the rules at the time. It is only when the house is sold that the band is readjusted.

David

Posted on 17/03/2021 21:00

Yes that’s right DK. Every house in our tiny street has been sold at least once since we moved in, we are the longest owning residents in street now. It’s something to consider when we move, likely to have to pay higher CT. 

Water meters are another thing for us to mull over. We have resisted so far, mainly because we used to keep animals at home, chickens and ducks, couple of ponds, at one time we had four vehicles that were washed at home. Got plenty of butts now for watering, no livestock, and less vehicles. Might be worth the metering now, and we can change back after within two years if it doesn’t suit.🤔 Plus we are away a lot more.🤔🤔

Wherenext replied on 17/03/2021 21:09

Posted on 17/03/2021 00:27 by KjellNN

"Ours is the only house on our little street now that doesn’t have details of what we paid for it, some 37 years ago"

Ours does appear in the public records, but as it was only the plot that we bought, it is listed as £25,000!

Land around here has increased in value massively since then, you would pay at least £200,000 for the plot these days.

Posted on 17/03/2021 21:09

I would suggest that it might be a good idea to get some Inheritance tax planning in place Kj. Mind you, you may already have it.

I remember telling my brother to do something about mentioning it to Sister-in-Law to broach the subject with her mother not long after his Father-in-Law had died. They lived in the same house and were due to inherit the house so in his interest as well. He put it off as the subject was so raw but unfortunately his Mother-in-Law passed away suddenly only a few months after her husband died. They were left with having to sell the house to pay a very large six figure tax bill.

So apologies if I'm sticking my nose in but I can see the consequences of not making some contingencies.

Wherenext replied on 17/03/2021 21:17

Posted on 17/03/2021 21:17

Been a very packed few days.

Both ladies were 'de-stressed so weren't distressed' and the locks made into double quilt stuffing.laughing. Happy bunnies.

MiL walked the 2 miles into town today with intention of catching a bus back. Buses not running to timetable and only half a service, if that, operating so a non profit making taxi service called on. The frequency of the local service has been decimated. A friendly driver saw her waiting at Bus station in town and explained he has to split his driving between 2 different routes now so only a service for each community and if he goes down with something no spare drivers.

Ongoing saga with energy company still ongoing. I will officially be able to write to Ombudsman on Friday so thought I might give them one last chance and tried to contact the person who rang me 2 weeks ago promising a resolution within a week. Can't get through to him but call handler has promised me a call, on the 2nd.April between 3-5 pm! Not kidding.

Wherenext replied on 17/03/2021 21:20

Posted on 17/03/2021 21:20

Ttda, is that new garden furniture or a stuffed dog on your avatar? You could always put a board on the top for a new table.laughing

nelliethehooker replied on 17/03/2021 21:32

Posted on 17/03/2021 21:32

More dental visits today. OH was due to have an extraction next week, but suffered toothache last night so phone our dental clinic before 9:00 this morning and was given an appointment for 11:40 today. While we were out on our morning walk the Dental clinic phone me to say that they'd had had a cancellation with the hygienist and would I like to take it up, so I was in for 11:30, and all sorted by just after noon. OH returned to the car about 12:15 minus a tooth but was very distressed as she'd suffered extreme pain with the first of her injections because of a deep infection in the root of the tooth that was to come out. Fortunately the tooth came out very cleanly, but lots of draining required to clean out the root. Thankfully, apart from a bruise jaw, the worst of the pain has subsided...thank goodness for paracetamol!!

Takethedogalong replied on 17/03/2021 21:36

Posted on 17/03/2021 21:36

Started off a bit grey here this morning, but turned warm and sunny midday, so we decided to head off for a bike ride. Stuck bikes on back of car, and parked up a few miles away on Trans Pennine Trail. We did nearly 13 miles of the actual trail, through some of our interesting local locations, including close by Ivanhoe’s castle at Conisborough, trail alongside Denaby Ings NR, we rode under the old railway viaduct that dominates the valley, and had our lunch down by the South Yourkshire Navigation Canal at Sprotborough. This is village Douglas Bader grew up in, his stepfather was the local Rector. Next time we might ride over the viaduct, but it isn’t for those who don’t like heights 😱 Lots of folks out, but plenty of space, and so much nicer than fighting it out on the roads. 

OH has ridden the whole length of the TPT, Southport to Hornsea. Interesting ride, some lovely moorlands.

nelliethehooker replied on 17/03/2021 22:10

Posted on 17/03/2021 21:36 by Takethedogalong

Started off a bit grey here this morning, but turned warm and sunny midday, so we decided to head off for a bike ride. Stuck bikes on back of car, and parked up a few miles away on Trans Pennine Trail. We did nearly 13 miles of the actual trail, through some of our interesting local locations, including close by Ivanhoe’s castle at Conisborough, trail alongside Denaby Ings NR, we rode under the old railway viaduct that dominates the valley, and had our lunch down by the South Yourkshire Navigation Canal at Sprotborough. This is village Douglas Bader grew up in, his stepfather was the local Rector. Next time we might ride over the viaduct, but it isn’t for those who don’t like heights 😱 Lots of folks out, but plenty of space, and so much nicer than fighting it out on the roads. 

OH has ridden the whole length of the TPT, Southport to Hornsea. Interesting ride, some lovely moorlands.

Posted on 17/03/2021 22:10

Fancy marking that poor dog of hours chase you all along the trail!!😁

Glad you had a good day out, ours was slightly different!!😡

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook