What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

DavidKlyne replied on 17/03/2021 10:21

Posted on 16/03/2021 23:59 by KjellNN

A local income tax would be fairer than a charge based on a calculated house value back in 1993 (was it 1993?)

People choose to spend their income in different ways, some save a lot, others spend it on frequent holidays, the latest phone or a huge TV, and some,  like us, chose to build or  buy  a larger home.  When we moved here in 1988 there were 5 of us.....the 2 of us, our son and daughter, and OH's Mum, we had 4 bedrooms and MIL had her "granny flat" with lounge,  bedroom, kitchen and bathroom, so it is quite a large property, but we seem to manage to use most of it one way or the other.  

However, just  because the house is large does not mean that we use a lot of council services.  With only the 2 of us these days, we generate very little refuse, and our water use is modest, so we get poor value for money in that respect.  When the house is sold it will quite likely be to a family, so they will use more water etc, but I would think they would need to have a household income of at least twice or three times ours to buy here, so with a local income tax they would be paying much more than us.

The Community Charge, which replaced rates for a couple of years, was more  favourable for us as each adult paid a fixed amount, I paid for the 2 of us and MIL paid her own, so each adult using council services was contributing, but a local tax based on income would be much fairer IMO.  In most countries there is a local tax levied to pay for local services.

I do think it is unreasonable to expect a householder to pay a tax based purely on the value of their property without taking their income into account.

We do look now and again at what is on the market locally, but there are very few "all on one level" bungalows, and like you we do not fancy a small flat.  Most of the bungalows around here have loft conversions, so are quite large, with a price to match.  Anything smaller seems to have very small rooms, and poor storage, so we remain here.

Posted on 17/03/2021 10:21

I think Council Tax valuations were frozen in 1991. The Institute of Fiscal Studies has looked at the idea of a local income tax https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/14006 But as they point out it would work in some places but not others. So in better off areas it would be a good alternative to CT but in less well off areas it could actually make matters worse in terms of services. You could argue that some of the money raised in well off areas could be redirected to less well off areas but that would take away the localness of the tax. There is obviously a debate to be had re whether property should be taxed by value. But that is similar to the debate on whether the better off should pay more to support the less well off which is the system we follow in this country. Whether we like it or not most of the wealth of the country is tied up in property, some of that wealth almost gathered accidentally by the general increases in house prices. Obviously a different world from the average house owner but would it be fair for some millionaire who owned a £10 million pound mansion in London not to pay a property tax because he has no income in the UK? A local income tax would be fine if everyone in the country was in the PAYE system but so many are not and so you immediately have an opportunity for tax avoidance. So some things that seem simple are often not. 

David

milliehull replied on 17/03/2021 10:47

Posted on 16/03/2021 22:15 by ABM

Out fairly early tomorrow, Nellie, for some serious food shopping, then a decent lunch to build me up for the afternoon doing Council Tax &  Census On-line paperwork, if that makes sense money-mouth

At the moment I have BBC News @ 10 on with some film / videos of the victims of the war in Syria. It makes our C19 worries very small beer indeed.

Posted on 17/03/2021 10:47

I absolutely agree with you about the situation in Syria ABM. Our youngest son and DIL worked in Syria for a while before the civil war (in fact he proposed to her while they were living there). They made a lot of friends - some they are in contact with and they know they have managed to leave and are safe. Unfortunately others they have lost contact with entirely and have no idea what has happened to them.

Best of the luck with the phone conversation with the diabetic nurse.

Takethedogalong replied on 17/03/2021 11:00

Posted on 17/03/2021 00:27 by KjellNN

"Ours is the only house on our little street now that doesn’t have details of what we paid for it, some 37 years ago"

Ours does appear in the public records, but as it was only the plot that we bought, it is listed as £25,000!

Land around here has increased in value massively since then, you would pay at least £200,000 for the plot these days.

Posted on 17/03/2021 11:00

Same here K, if our neighbours knew what we got our house for, they would be astonished, a lot less than your plot! Old, and when we bought it, we knew it would be a long project to restore it. Interestingly, it’s in an old part of the town, just on the outskirts, near our Park and old museum, so houses around are mainly older type, with the odd new insertion as part of a garden grab. So the area is predominantly band B, unless like our neighbours, work has been done, extensions or additions have been carried out, in which case, they have been re rated, mainly D&E. But ours never has, it’s still B, which is a win for us. Never needed to get planning permission for anything we have had done luckily. Next door is a five bedroom detached, two up is a six bedroom detached, they are both E. Little anomalies. 🤫

ABM replied on 17/03/2021 11:36

Posted on 17/03/2021 11:36

Best of luck with the phone conversation with the diabetic nurse.

Millie,  The scamp tricked me  yell !  Arrangements were for the call to be next Tuesday but, just as I was getting the shopping tackle together she rang me this morning.   frownembarassedfrownembarassedfrown.

The net results were, weight good i.e. down 3 lbs over 18 months and that was the last of the good bits !!

Sugar levels variable but TOO HIGH so a change in shopping list demanded { Nursey says she wouldn't have Kellog's products in the house unless starting a fire  surprised due to exceedingly high sugar content }

MORE finger-prick blood tests required then as and when ( if  undecided ?) figures reduce the same can be done with the insulin requirements. Oh woe Is me, woe is me --I will be spending more time in the supermarkets / shops reading the content lists on cereal boxes than I spend eating the stuff . sealed

Do so hope you all are enjoying this slow journey to   F F Freedom  wink

Goldie146 replied on 17/03/2021 11:45

Posted on 17/03/2021 11:45

I sometimes think about downsizing - not that we can, the house is part and parcel of the farm. It dates from 1500’s with numerous additions over the years. Now there’s only two of us, so we don’t use all the bedrooms (5), but it’s good to know we can have large family gatherings. Or I can hide away in a far off corner. It’s a bit higgledy piggedly - so much so that a friend got lost on her way to her bedroom - with big rooms and smaller useful rooms (box room, hall pantry, top landing etc).  So I can’t really begrudge the Band E tax.

ABM replied on 17/03/2021 11:51

Posted on 17/03/2021 11:51

Goldie,  I don't honestly think that people really begrudge the Council Tax that they are paying,  more likely to be objecting to what it is spent  on or not  !!.  That's just the view of this 'Pothole Dodger'  yell

JVB66 replied on 17/03/2021 11:55

Posted on 17/03/2021 11:55

I have just been to our local Co op and saw a neighbour had not seen for months ,They have decided to move to Lincs ,Daughter has got planning permission to have a self contained "granny annex" extention on their house 

They bought their house (3 bed 1 bathroom mid terrace) just after we bought ours ,(similar price) and have sold it back to the council at £10,000 under market value for £375,000surprised

It has got us thinking again and ours being end terrace with room for an extention wink

we have looked at Park Home sites in the pastfrown 

Francis replied on 17/03/2021 12:12

Posted on 17/03/2021 09:20 by allanandjean

Was that the one in Salisbury David?!!!

Beautiful day again, saw three vapour trails yesterday, and been good on the get out and about front this week.

Trip out Monday cancelled but yesterday saw us at Talland Bay, for work, then down into Looe, passing Tencreek Holiday park, for a stroll along Hannafore and a 99 from the kiosk.

Eddystone was clearly visible and cant wait to see it from a BF ferry, preferably from a window seat whilst enjoying some great food and wine.

Today its Gunnislake then over the Tamar and down into Plymouth for shopping, tomorrow, another, medical appointment then on Friday its Talland Bay again and maybe fish & chips from the Coddy Shack in East Looe, near the clubs site.

Posted on 17/03/2021 12:12

When we stayed at the club site in Looe a few years ago we went to the CODY Shack  it was excellent we really liked it also loved the little 3 wheeler Reliant they had outside 

Bakers2 replied on 17/03/2021 12:23

Posted on 17/03/2021 12:23

ABM I feel your pain. Shopping is a nightmare. Sugar appears to be in everything especially the least likely products . so difficult. 

DavidKlyne replied on 17/03/2021 13:19

Posted on 17/03/2021 11:00 by Takethedogalong

Same here K, if our neighbours knew what we got our house for, they would be astonished, a lot less than your plot! Old, and when we bought it, we knew it would be a long project to restore it. Interestingly, it’s in an old part of the town, just on the outskirts, near our Park and old museum, so houses around are mainly older type, with the odd new insertion as part of a garden grab. So the area is predominantly band B, unless like our neighbours, work has been done, extensions or additions have been carried out, in which case, they have been re rated, mainly D&E. But ours never has, it’s still B, which is a win for us. Never needed to get planning permission for anything we have had done luckily. Next door is a five bedroom detached, two up is a six bedroom detached, they are both E. Little anomalies. 🤫

Posted on 17/03/2021 13:19

Don't forget that value at which a Council Tax band was decided was frozen at 1991 values in England. So providing you lived in the house after 1991 you could have doubled the size of the house, adding of course to it's value but you would still pay Council Tax based on the 1991 valuation. Personally I feel this is very unfair. We extended our house prior to 1991 and our tax band was increased accordingly. One of our neighbours extended his house by a much larger proportion than we did but after 1991 and still pays at his original tax band and over the years I reckon I have paid £3/4000 extra in Council Tax which I am a bit miffed about. Apparently I have no option to appeal because the tax was set correctly according to the rules at the time. It is only when the house is sold that the band is readjusted.

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook