Benefits of using an Approved Workshop
Along with the requirements for technicians, each workshop must also meet high standards of competency and comply with an industry wide Code of Practice. This means that all workshops will:
- Display a detailed list of prices and labour rates
- Provide an estimate for additional servicing or repairs over £150
- Give a realistic estimated time for completion and collection
- Use genuine spare parts where available
- Make sure work is done using skill, care and professional judgement
- Always provide you with a checklist of work done
- Not start work without your express authority
- Contact you for authority to proceed if additional work is needed
- Notify you in writing of unrectified faults
- Provide you with an honest assessment of the urgency of further repairs
- Normally guarantee all repairs for six months
- Take all reasonable steps to protect any unexpired warranties
What happens if I am not satisfied?
Every workshop needs to have a positive approach to putting things right, and operate a clear and simple complaints procedure. In the unlikely event of a serious complaint that is not rectified through the workshop's own complaints system, the complaint can be investigated via the free conciliation procedure.
Motorhome base vehicle
While a few Approved Workshops also offer base vehicle servicing, in most cases a commercial vehicle specialist will be required. Several of the base vehicle manufacturers operate networks of recommended service and repair agents.
- Fiat Ducato motorhome service & repair outlets
- Fiat Fiorino/Scudo etc service & repair outlets
- Ford Transit motorhome service & repair outlets
- Mercedes van service & repair outlets
- Volkswagen van service & repair outlets
- Renault van service & repair outlets
Towcar (or other cars)
For general servicing and repairs, The Motor Ombudsman scheme (a subsidiary of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders), highlights around 7000 franchised and independent garages which have committed to high standards of service, and which are monitored for quality. These standards are documented in four Codes of Practice. In the event of any problems, the Ombudsman operates a Chartered Trading Standards Institute-approved dispute resolution service.
Towbar and towing electrics
For these issues, the National Trailer and Towing Association operate the Quality Secured Accredited Scheme of towbar fitters who are monitored for quality of service.