What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

brue replied on 16/03/2021 23:00

Posted on 16/03/2021 23:00

We have Wessex Water, our bill is just below the national average of £34 pm, it's £32 on a meter at present.

Tinwheeler replied on 16/03/2021 23:15

Posted on 16/03/2021 23:00 by brue

We have Wessex Water, our bill is just below the national average of £34 pm, it's £32 on a meter at present.

Posted on 16/03/2021 23:15

Oh, I wish!  £53 p/m for us - metered 😧

DSB replied on 16/03/2021 23:16

Posted on 16/03/2021 23:00 by brue

Posted on 16/03/2021 23:16

Good grief.... we are paying around £73 a month for water and 'drainage' - but we only pay 9 months - then we get 3 months off! - that still works out at about £55 a month over 12 months.  We're not on a meter, but perhaps this is something that we should look at.

David

SteveL replied on 16/03/2021 23:18

Posted on 16/03/2021 22:05 by nelliethehooker

Is that for a 10 month payment or like Kjell's 12 months?

We are on a water meter, but that was by choice soon after I retired and we knew we would be away from home for up to 2/3rds of the year in our caravan. We weren't for course expecting to have to stay at home so much because of Covid!!😡

Posted on 16/03/2021 23:18

10 months, fortunately. We don’t pay anything March or April.😀 Although they fitted a meter a few weeks ago, we don’t get charged on it. It’s purely part of their leak checking programme. They did about 50% of the road, the others were already on meters. The letter they sent did say we could opt to go on it if we want. Our water bill is £52 a month for 8 months, then 4 off.

Tinwheeler replied on 16/03/2021 23:22

Posted on 16/03/2021 23:16 by DSB

Good grief.... we are paying around £73 a month for water and 'drainage' - but we only pay 9 months - then we get 3 months off! - that still works out at about £55 a month over 12 months.  We're not on a meter, but perhaps this is something that we should look at.

David

Posted on 16/03/2021 23:22

Definitely, David. Your payments are about the same as ours if you take into account our Govt subsidy.

KjellNN replied on 16/03/2021 23:59

Posted on 16/03/2021 21:26 by DavidKlyne

Kj

I can well understand you not wanting to move, we feel very much the same, particularly whilst we have the motorhome which we wouldn't want to put into storage. There aren't many bungalows in MK anyway and those that are would cost more than our house would sell for. Our only real option to downsize is an apartment which we are not that keen on. The difference in price between 3 and 4 bedroom houses, when you take into account moving costs and possible refurbishment costs hardly makes it worth it. 

I am not sure how you get over the Council Tax system. You need some sort of tax to sustain local services and even CT does not pay anywhere near enough without further Government support. They tried Poll Tax but that wasn't acceptable to enough people for it to work so I am not sure what alternatives there are?  Is it unreasonable to expect those that have more valuable house to pay more than those in more modest properties? I don't think we will get any future  favours in terms of subsidies to pensioners as many politicians of all stripes seem to think we have had it good for so long? So I don't see anything changing in our favour.

Owning property does give us options however. It does give us the opportunity to move somewhere smaller and less expensive which could cut down on costs even if we are inclined not to follow that route. Anyone who owns a house outright as a valuable asset and there are many opportunities to take advantage of that asset value if you should want to without moving.

David

Posted on 16/03/2021 23:59

A local income tax would be fairer than a charge based on a calculated house value back in 1993 (was it 1993?)

People choose to spend their income in different ways, some save a lot, others spend it on frequent holidays, the latest phone or a huge TV, and some,  like us, chose to build or  buy  a larger home.  When we moved here in 1988 there were 5 of us.....the 2 of us, our son and daughter, and OH's Mum, we had 4 bedrooms and MIL had her "granny flat" with lounge,  bedroom, kitchen and bathroom, so it is quite a large property, but we seem to manage to use most of it one way or the other.  

However, just  because the house is large does not mean that we use a lot of council services.  With only the 2 of us these days, we generate very little refuse, and our water use is modest, so we get poor value for money in that respect.  When the house is sold it will quite likely be to a family, so they will use more water etc, but I would think they would need to have a household income of at least twice or three times ours to buy here, so with a local income tax they would be paying much more than us.

The Community Charge, which replaced rates for a couple of years, was more  favourable for us as each adult paid a fixed amount, I paid for the 2 of us and MIL paid her own, so each adult using council services was contributing, but a local tax based on income would be much fairer IMO.  In most countries there is a local tax levied to pay for local services.

I do think it is unreasonable to expect a householder to pay a tax based purely on the value of their property without taking their income into account.

We do look now and again at what is on the market locally, but there are very few "all on one level" bungalows, and like you we do not fancy a small flat.  Most of the bungalows around here have loft conversions, so are quite large, with a price to match.  Anything smaller seems to have very small rooms, and poor storage, so we remain here.

richardandros replied on 17/03/2021 06:12

Posted on 17/03/2021 06:12

"Wow, i knew Yorkshire was expensive, my sister lives near Malton, been advised our monthly will be £189 , do you live in a castle "

No Rufs - nothing liketongue-out Just a modest 4bed / 4 bathroom detached house on a new(ish) development after we supposedly downsized when we moved here 8 years ago.  What galls me is that there are just the two of us, both retired and our demand on local services is limited as compared with many others around here whom we're effectively subsidising - but then many of us are in that position so there's no point getting uptight about it but the way that CT is calculated, based on property prices is totally unjust.

brue replied on 17/03/2021 06:53

David

Posted on 17/03/2021 06:53

We're in credit at the moment, we're quite heavy users when our big garden needs water in the summer even though we store a lot of rain water. We don't waste water or worry too much about usage but a meter leaves us in control.

If deciding about a meter we could try it for a month and then reject it.

Our council tax is expensive so it's swings and roundabouts. 

Up early to get a delivery slot and sort neighbours out with theirs. It will be easier with just us in future! Hopefully trip to NT garden at 10am for first slot there!

Rufs replied on 17/03/2021 07:48

David

Posted on 17/03/2021 07:48

Get a meter, we pay £14 per month for water, £17 for waste water 12 monthly payments and we are currently in credit on our water wink

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook