What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

replied on 10/02/2017 07:46

Posted on 10/02/2017 07:17 by Oneputt

Malc firstly what you doing up at 2am and secondly having just got over a life threatening situation your boss is OK with you going back to work tomorrow, don't you get the idea that he is using you and not at all bothered by your well being! 

Posted on 10/02/2017 07:46

Good morning, Oneputt. I did sleep for a few hours and then woke up feeling hungry so I made myself a sandwich in the night and then went back to bed afterwards. 

I must admit, I could do with a bit longer off work but unfortunately there's no sick leave or sick pay in this job and the bills will keep coming! I only recently paid £2900 to Mitsubishi for a new clutch and flywheel. I also have to pay £91 a week site fees for our present location!

The Ovaltineys replied on 10/02/2017 09:38

Posted on 10/02/2017 09:38

Malcolm, ISTM that this job is costing you money rather than providing it. If you had a job in a supermarket stacking shelves there would have been no need for expensive insurance/repairs/new car etc etc.

Do not return to work too soon otherwise you will only fall ill again.

huskydog replied on 10/02/2017 09:49

Posted on 10/02/2017 09:49

Malc , glad to hear you are doing well, but maybe this is time to look at your life and slow down ,find a less stressful job and enjoy life , please don't think we are having a go at you ,but we care about you , go back to work when you are ready , any decent boss would understand and not want you back until you are 100%.smile

JVB66 replied on 10/02/2017 09:53

Posted on 10/02/2017 07:46 by

Good morning, Oneputt. I did sleep for a few hours and then woke up feeling hungry so I made myself a sandwich in the night and then went back to bed afterwards. 

I must admit, I could do with a bit longer off work but unfortunately there's no sick leave or sick pay in this job and the bills will keep coming! I only recently paid £2900 to Mitsubishi for a new clutch and flywheel. I also have to pay £91 a week site fees for our present location!

Posted on 10/02/2017 09:53

Malcolm  Firstly i am glad you seem to be on the mend,but as numerouse of us over the past year have been adviseing,the "job" you have is for the benifit of the fast food chains you were contracted to at your expense ,which seems to have proved correct,with the ammount of money it has cost you, is it really worth putting your  health on the line for that, you would do much better at your age getting a job where you are not at the end of a phone waiting for work?

replied on 10/02/2017 09:56

Posted on 10/02/2017 09:56

That's very true, The Ovaltineys. The Shogun is a brilliant tow car for the caravan but has proved to be totally unsuitable for delivery work because of the high cost of fuel consumption and repairs, servicing etc. but we have now overcome that problem by purchasing a brand new Smart car for the delivery work and so no longer need to use the Shogun. The Smart car also has a service contract, so no bills to pay except fuel which at 65 miles to the gallon gives us a lot of mileage at about one third of the cost. This is the best we can get for saving cost on the deliveries.

replied on 10/02/2017 10:07

Posted on 10/02/2017 09:53 by JVB66

Malcolm  Firstly i am glad you seem to be on the mend,but as numerouse of us over the past year have been adviseing,the "job" you have is for the benifit of the fast food chains you were contracted to at your expense ,which seems to have proved correct,with the ammount of money it has cost you, is it really worth putting your  health on the line for that, you would do much better at your age getting a job where you are not at the end of a phone waiting for work?

Posted on 10/02/2017 10:07

Thanks for the reply JVB66. We try to work a way of squeezing other personal things that need doing in between deliveries such as housework, shopping etc. breaks for a cup of tea or coffee or something to eat. Sometimes we can get a two hour break between the time the lunchtime orders finish and the evening orders start and we do make use of that time for ourselves.

Anyhow, after much wrangling with the boss this morning, he has finally agreed to let us have one day off a week. He has agreed we can have Thursday off which will at least give us one day rest before the busiest days of the weekend start.

My wife has been arguing with the boss on several occasions about how unreasonable it is to expect us to work 11 hours a day 7 days a week. She likes to keep a tidy home and needs time to do that which we were previously refused. 

The Ovaltineys replied on 10/02/2017 10:30

Posted on 10/02/2017 10:30

Malcolm, without it sounding too harsh, the days of OAPs working 6 days a week 11 hrs a day are thankfully, for most people, consigned to the history books. I cannot see you being able to withstand these hours when you are 70 years old. So can I make an appeal to you:

1) Think about yourself and your wife.

2) Don't for one minute think about your boss, he is only thinking about himself anyway. No self respecting boss would expect an OAP to work the hours you do for little money. 

3) Please over the next few months find an alternative inside job, even taking two part time jobs if need be. You have qualities that can be used elsewhere. Do not think you can only do "fast food deliveries"

4) Bear in mind every company worth working for pays at least minimum wage.

Tammygirl replied on 10/02/2017 10:42

Posted on 10/02/2017 10:42

What a beautiful morning, we have a covering of snow and everything is white and sparkling as the sun is also out. I love days like this, much better than the dull grey days we've had. Back to Chiropractor this morning for another adjustment, feeling a bit easier after the last smile

On a sad note OH is going to a funeral this afternoon, one of his friends and colleagues pasted away last weekend.

Hope everyone has a nice weekend at home or away.

triky auto replied on 10/02/2017 10:46

Posted on 09/02/2017 19:06 by trellis

Triky , Your ETA is rather wishful thinking isn't it.?surprisedcool

Posted on 10/02/2017 10:46

wink NO ,,arrived at 12-05 !!laughing .Easy journey ,just pottering along really.

replied on 10/02/2017 10:52

Posted on 10/02/2017 10:30 by The Ovaltineys

Malcolm, without it sounding too harsh, the days of OAPs working 6 days a week 11 hrs a day are thankfully, for most people, consigned to the history books. I cannot see you being able to withstand these hours when you are 70 years old. So can I make an appeal to you:

1) Think about yourself and your wife.

2) Don't for one minute think about your boss, he is only thinking about himself anyway. No self respecting boss would expect an OAP to work the hours you do for little money. 

3) Please over the next few months find an alternative inside job, even taking two part time jobs if need be. You have qualities that can be used elsewhere. Do not think you can only do "fast food deliveries"

4) Bear in mind every company worth working for pays at least minimum wage.

Posted on 10/02/2017 10:52

The advantages of an inside job are just a dream to me at the moment. A job where you get proper breaks, time to use the staff toilets, it's just not possible in a driving job.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook