What are you all up to today? - part 3

RochelleCC replied on 14/06/2016 16:41

Posted on 14/06/2016 16:41

Hi everyone, as requested this thread has been started afresh, enjoy!

Wherenext replied on 26/11/2016 19:58

Posted on 26/11/2016 19:58

Drove home today from 6 night stop at Southport. Big frost overnight and some ice on roads near site but sunny for most of the way with occasional bits of fog.

Got caught up in traffic jams from Widnes to Runcorn. Anybody in the area should avoid like the plague until road improvements completed.

Unpacked. Feel so much more relaxed after week away. 

Bakers2 replied on 26/11/2016 20:20

Posted on 26/11/2016 20:20

Glorious sunset at the moment, cold day after frosty start no breeze, but clouded over early afternoon, which makes the sunset all the more surprising. 

Thought I was being excluded again earlier but noticed on latest activity that there's been none for anyone!

Gave up on knitting the socks, completed first row and although on three needles I still had a straight line . I certainly don't need the socks or know how to knit them. (My Gran used to always have some on the go, stemmed from the first world war and continued. My aunt told me if an army lorry went through she'd give them socks.) Was just a whim awhile ago, to buy wool which included the pattern, will find another use for the wool. 

On a brighter front I found an advent calendar I bought for us in the sales and hadn't made granddaughter's took precedence the following year so that will be my next project.

Went to a garden centre with cafe, really busy . There was a Father Christmas in residence already, appointments can be made online long queues to see him and to use the cafe! Bought lovely Christmas plant arrangement as a gift, just got to keep it flourishing .

Oh dear, B2, I think knitting is becoming a forgotten skill these days.

My Mum taught us all to knit (2 boys and 2 girls), I doubt my older brother can still remember, but I quite enjoy it now and again.  I even remember the special way of casting on that she taught me.

My 2 younger sisters are "knitting machines", they always have something on the go!  When the older one comes away with us we have to keep her supplied with wool so she has something to do.  This year she made us each a pair of thick cosy socks within a few days.

OH's mum was a great knitter too, OH's dad only wore hand knitted socks, so she always had a pair under manufacture, according to OH these were made from 3-ply wool, whatever that is.

In Norway we tend to only use the thicker wools, OH says it is "double knitting".

For socks we use 4 needles rather than the UK 3 needles, but the principle is the same.

Dare I admit it I was using four needles, three with stitches on and one to knit with, think I may have misunderstood the pattern instructions at this point I don't care!  I could have googled it but for once I was happy to accept my inadequacy . I don't usually give up but this time I decided I wasn't interested enough, if I managed one I'd got to do another . Yes your wife us right on the ply, I have 4 ply for the sock pattern, it will find a good use in time. I'm not nor ever have been a great knitter - I prefer sewing, you can cut out and pin together to see if it fits etc before spending hours making it only to find you could have made it longer/shorter. Delighted to hear you knit, sailors used to do it too. My mother kept us kitted out in home knit jumpers and cardigans until we were late teenagers, also her and my dad.

ABM replied on 26/11/2016 20:32

Posted on 26/11/2016 20:32

My  Aged  Sister  still  knits  for  others { I've  got  some  wool  here,  could  you  do  me  a  **********  or  whatever  Innocent}  so  on  my  normally  twice  weekly  visits  I  get  the  full  blast  of  both  barrels  !!  Mutter  mutter,  they  expect  me  to  knit  with  this  string,  grouse,  grouse,  groan   !  She  doesnt  really  mind  the  knitting  per  se,  she  can  manage  that  at  midnight  in  a  black  bag,  but  the  sewing  together  is  a  problem as  she  ages  and  her  sight  fails.  She  would  not  mind  really  but  the  worst  offender  is  her  daughter  ,  which  young  lady  she  taught  to  knit,  sew  etc  tho  her  youth  !

Still  It  saves  me  having  to  think  of  things  to  talk  about  !!

EDIT  :--

Its  been  foggy  here  in  South  Cheshire,  all  day  until  about  an  hour  and  a  half  ago,  then  it  started  clearing  and  warming  up  a  touch.  It  would  have  been  a  nice  day,  if  I  could  have  seen  some  of  it Yell !!

nelliethehooker replied on 26/11/2016 21:55

Posted on 26/11/2016 21:55

Enjoy your trips Francis, brue and nth. Weather forecast for next week looks very cold but bright and sunny.  Today is bright and sunny here and now the frost has cleared isn't too cold.  I have just swept up a load of leaves which kept me warm.  Before that we went to order our new stair and landing carpet - hooray!!  Mr H surprised me this morning by saying he had measured up while I was out yesterday so did I want to go and choose.Happy Measurements being checked tomorrow morning and carpet being fitted on Wednesday.  They are a family firm that we have used for years.  Mr H used to play darts with the present owner's father.

Write your comments here...

Thanks Millie

+1Wink

nelliethehooker replied on 26/11/2016 21:58

Posted on 26/11/2016 21:58

Met our relarives they arrived just after 1 so now all in the pub having a beer together good times then back to the vans for dinner

Hope you enjoy your time together. Where are you staying?

nelliethehooker replied on 26/11/2016 22:04

Posted on 26/11/2016 22:04

Drove home today from 6 night stop at Southport. Big frost overnight and some ice on roads near site but sunny for most of the way with occasional bits of fog.

Got caught up in traffic jams from Widnes to Runcorn. Anybody in the area should avoid like the plague until road improvements completed.

Unpacked. Feel so much more relaxed after week away. 

That's good to know. Have you any idea of when the roadworks will be complete? We had intended going that route in 2 weeks time, through to Chester.

KjellNN replied on 26/11/2016 22:44

Posted on 26/11/2016 22:44

Oh dear, B2, I think knitting is becoming a forgotten skill these days.

My Mum taught us all to knit (2 boys and 2 girls), I doubt my older brother can still remember, but I quite enjoy it now and again.  I even remember the special way of casting on that she taught me.

My 2 younger sisters are "knitting machines", they always have something on the go!  When the older one comes away with us we have to keep her supplied with wool so she has something to do.  This year she made us each a pair of thick cosy socks within a few days.

OH's mum was a great knitter too, OH's dad only wore hand knitted socks, so she always had a pair under manufacture, according to OH these were made from 3-ply wool, whatever that is.

In Norway we tend to only use the thicker wools, OH says it is "double knitting".

For socks we use 4 needles rather than the UK 3 needles, but the principle is the same.

Dare I admit it I was using four needles, three with stitches on and one to knit with, think I may have misunderstood the pattern instructions at this point I don't care!  I could have googled it but for once I was happy to accept my inadequacy . I don't usually give up but this time I decided I wasn't interested enough, if I managed one I'd got to do another . Yes your wife us right on the ply, I have 4 ply for the sock pattern, it will find a good use in time. I'm not nor ever have been a great knitter - I prefer sewing, you can cut out and pin together to see if it fits etc before spending hours making it only to find you could have made it longer/shorter. Delighted to hear you knit, sailors used to do it too. My mother kept us kitted out in home knit jumpers and cardigans until we were late teenagers, also her and my dad.

Yes a 3 needle (UK) set up requires 4 needles in total, the 4th one being the one you knit onto.

So in Norway we use 5 needles in total, 4 plus the one you knit onto.

Tammygirl replied on 26/11/2016 22:51

Posted on 26/11/2016 22:51

Bakers2, when I knit socks its with 4 needles 3 have knitting on and the 4th is the one you use to knit/transfer the knitting to, if that makes sense, you could always use a circular needle. I'm fascinated watching the Germans (possibly other europeans aswell) the way they knit. Its a bit like half knitting and half crochet.

I know what you mean about once you've finished it the problem comes if it doesn't fit.

I'm trying to get my head round a crochet pattern just now, its been a long time since I've made anything following a pattern. I think I will need a few trials first.

MillieH, I think the advert I saw for embroidery was when we were away a few weeks ago, the only magazine OH can remember us having in the van was the supplement out of the weekend paper, sorry. Will keep my eyes open incase I see anything that you might like.

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook