What are you all up to today? - part 3

RochelleCC replied on 14/06/2016 16:41

Posted on 14/06/2016 16:41

Hi everyone, as requested this thread has been started afresh, enjoy!

Bakers2 replied on 26/11/2016 18:08

Posted on 26/11/2016 18:08

Youngsters should be taught money management at school IMO.

I think it needs to start at home and be continued throughout growing up including at school. Sadly some parents don't know how themselves .  Because so much is now done without cash the concept is much harder. One is unable to see how much you had and how much is left after a spend.

My mother often recounts the time I asked my dad for something and he said he had no money. I told him to go into the bank and they'd give him some . At that time I hadn't got the concept that to take out it had to be actually in the bank .

Bakers2 replied on 26/11/2016 18:11

Posted on 26/11/2016 18:11

Putting up the boundry fence today at the boatyard,sawn Chestnut stakes,stainless strainer wire on tensioners,clad with sheep netting,stapled and wired.Burning some of the Privet debris.Lovely day weatherwise ,cloudy but bright spells and warm,no wind.After dinner (cold sausages,re-hashed chips and sweetcorn) off to a local pub' to see " Smiler" ,a VERY good band .Laughing.

Sounds like another productive day for you. .Watch out for those flowerbeds

Goldie146 replied on 26/11/2016 18:11

Posted on 26/11/2016 18:11

Glad you are having a good time with the rellies, where are you this weekend? 

The sun is setting and the sky looks fab once again, pearly grey shot through with reds and pinks.

Been busy cleaning the oven and the microwave, now all sparkly cleanSmile shame I've got to use it for the dinner tonightFrown

My experiment of using the slow cooker to cook the lentils and yellow split peas has worked out fine, only took a few hours of free electric (solar panels) didn't have to keep going and adding water and no burnt pan either (they always stick)

Goldie, excuse me for not knowing but don't farmers have less to do in winter than at any other time of year, or is it because the days are so short you can't get so much done, just interested.

Absolutely not! We have 250 cattle inside now. They all have to be fed (at least once) and mucked out every day. The cows are milked twice a day. In summer when the cows are outside there is less feeding, and deifinitley less mucking out. There may be less daylight now but we still start work at 05:00 and finish after 6.30 at night. "Doing up" - the feeding/mucking out etc - takes longer, so there is less time inbetween for other farming jobs (hedging, muck spreading and the rest). In summer we can get by with one person, plus a farm worker three days a week. In winter we need both my son and husband. If we want some time off we work harder to make it possible. On Christmas Day we will start work an hour earlier to have more "time off".

My son has gone to a party tonight and finished at 5 -so my husband will be later finishing, Then at 10.00 he'll go ut to do the night check (walking round all the stock).

I don't want this to sound like a moan - it isn't. Winter may be hard work, but that's what we do. And don't start to ask about Spring work. That's what more daylight hours are for - to get more work done after milking.

Would I change my life? No way. 

Bakers2 replied on 26/11/2016 18:14

Posted on 26/11/2016 18:14

Just drawn the curtains and was surprised to see our neighbours opposite have put a Christmas wreath on the door

Pliers replied on 26/11/2016 18:43

Posted on 26/11/2016 18:43

Drove to Crosby, north Liverpool, and had a walk along the beach looking at Anthony Gormleys sculptures,  Another Place,   and they were quite magnificent, in my opinion. The weather helped as long shadows were cast and several ships passed close by on leaving Liverpool. Worth a visit if you are in the area.

Agree totally.

A representation of anybody physically or mentally in Another Place. Or so I was told!  

KjellNN replied on 26/11/2016 19:35

Posted on 26/11/2016 19:35

Youngsters should be taught money management at school IMO.

I think it needs to start at home and be continued throughout growing up including at school. Sadly some parents don't know how themselves .  Because so much is now done without cash the concept is much harder. One is unable to see how much you had and how much is left after a spend.

My mother often recounts the time I asked my dad for something and he said he had no money. I told him to go into the bank and they'd give him some . At that time I hadn't got the concept that to take out it had to be actually in the bank .

The problem is that many of the parents themselves do not have a clue.   So they cannot teach their children anything.

Looking at many young people today ( the 18-25 year olds), many seem to expect that they should have everything they had when their parents supported them, be able to have their own place with everything they want, but have no idea how they are going to pay for it.

So they get credit cards and loans and run up debts which they cannot repay.  Even those whose parents are responsible with money can find themselves in difficulty if they have not been given the basic information on money management.  So it needs to be taught in school.  

A lot of parents seem to assume their children somehow know about money, so they do not bother to actually teach them anything.

Tammygirl replied on 26/11/2016 19:39

Posted on 26/11/2016 19:39

Goldie, thanks for explaining I'm sure I'm not the only one who would have thought with winter, life got a little less hectic for the farmers. From what you say it appears that its far from that for the dairy farmer. Trust me it doesn't sound like a moan at all Smile

When we were in town today there was a Santa's grotto and the queue was substantial, the poor kids starting christmas this early, where has all the magic gone.

How to manage money should certainly start early in life, once learnt it stays with you. Things have changed so much from our parents (and our early days) days when wages were paid weekly in cash.

I once borrowed £2 from my dad until payday. He gave it to me no problem, come payday I gave him his £2 back. A few days later I was broke again so borrowed the £2 again. This went on for a couple of weeks, Dad being very clever let me get in a pickle, until the final time I gave him his £2 back he said " now tell me is this my money or your money"  it taught me that borrowing money didn't solve the lack of it as you always have to give it back.

KjellNN replied on 26/11/2016 19:51

Posted on 26/11/2016 19:51

Glorious sunset at the moment, cold day after frosty start no breeze, but clouded over early afternoon, which makes the sunset all the more surprising. 

Thought I was being excluded again earlier but noticed on latest activity that there's been none for anyone!

Gave up on knitting the socks, completed first row and although on three needles I still had a straight line . I certainly don't need the socks or know how to knit them. (My Gran used to always have some on the go, stemmed from the first world war and continued. My aunt told me if an army lorry went through she'd give them socks.) Was just a whim awhile ago, to buy wool which included the pattern, will find another use for the wool. 

On a brighter front I found an advent calendar I bought for us in the sales and hadn't made granddaughter's took precedence the following year so that will be my next project.

Went to a garden centre with cafe, really busy . There was a Father Christmas in residence already, appointments can be made online long queues to see him and to use the cafe! Bought lovely Christmas plant arrangement as a gift, just got to keep it flourishing .

Oh dear, B2, I think knitting is becoming a forgotten skill these days.

My Mum taught us all to knit (2 boys and 2 girls), I doubt my older brother can still remember, but I quite enjoy it now and again.  I even remember the special way of casting on that she taught me.

My 2 younger sisters are "knitting machines", they always have something on the go!  When the older one comes away with us we have to keep her supplied with wool so she has something to do.  This year she made us each a pair of thick cosy socks within a few days.

OH's mum was a great knitter too, OH's dad only wore hand knitted socks, so she always had a pair under manufacture, according to OH these were made from 3-ply wool, whatever that is.

In Norway we tend to only use the thicker wools, OH says it is "double knitting".

For socks we use 4 needles rather than the UK 3 needles, but the principle is the same.

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook