The same Club, just better...

RochelleCC replied on 21/02/2017 08:40

Posted on 21/02/2017 08:40

Welcome to the Caravan and Motorhome Club.

Ever since we came together as a group of outdoor enthusiasts 110 years ago, our Club has continued on a journey of discovery. It's time for us to make some changes for the better by redefining who we are to help you get the most of the great outdoors.

I’m sure you all have lots of questions, please post your feedback and queries in this thread.

What does our new logo mean? We created a video to explain how we created it:

Find out more at www.camc.com/discover

Sir Bruin replied on 24/02/2017 12:37

Posted on 24/02/2017 11:55 by Wildwood

The club seems to have achieved the impossible by getting just about every one to agree. The achievement is that the new logo is not fit for purpose and they want the old one back.

Posted on 24/02/2017 12:37

Not sure about "Just about everyone". I have no objection to the new logo. Looking through previous posts, it likes like there are a few others who don't object either 

lowsas replied on 24/02/2017 12:49

Posted on 24/02/2017 12:30 by RochelleCC

Hi Lowsas,

NigelAsh is right, all costs when finalised will be reported to members in the usual way in the Annual Report and Accounts.  That will be a far more accurate representation of the total costs which will then be more transparent to members.

Posted on 24/02/2017 12:49

Thanks for your reply Rochelle

I did not expect to be given a fully detailed, finalised, audited set of accounts at this point  What I would expect and I am sure has been discussed is an estimated ball park figure for the rebranding project

Tinwheeler replied on 24/02/2017 12:54

Posted on 24/02/2017 12:37 by Sir Bruin

Not sure about "Just about everyone". I have no objection to the new logo. Looking through previous posts, it likes like there are a few others who don't object either 

Posted on 24/02/2017 12:54

Quite so, SirB. I really don't know what all the fuss is about. Whether we like the logo and name or not isn't going to change the way we use, or don't use, sites.

What possible impact can these changes have on people's lives that they feel the need to post as if the world had ended? Lighten up, folks, it's a name and a logo. Let's carry on with life as we know it.

Fysherman replied on 24/02/2017 12:54

Posted on 24/02/2017 12:25 by DaveJ99

There is a general rule in marketing, if you a have strong brand, don't change it.

The 'Caravan Club' is a greatly respected brand. The name has remained virtually unchanged for a century. It is the standard by which others are judged. It is known for quality, service and integrity. The name is easy to say and easy to remember. It is a strong brand.

There is a case for refreshing a brand's graphic identity such as logos, signage, letterheads and so on. There is also a case for repositioning a brand to better target new customers and to better define its function, for example, 'enjoying the great outdoors' is better than 'somewhere to pitch a caravan.'

Turning to the new name, the Oxford Dictionary says a caravan is a vehicle equipped for living in, typically towed. It defines a motorhome as a motor vehicle equipped like a caravan for living in.

Imagine renaming our club the 'Caravan and Motor Caravan Club.' Then you begin to see the name 'Caravan and Motorhome Club' is a pointless mouthful too. Touring caravans, motor caravans, trailer caravans and collapsible caravans are all caravans of a kind.

We know the Automobile Association is for more than automobiles. We know the Holiday Inn is for more than holidays. We know the Caravan Club is for more than touring caravans.

Imagine the AA was re-branded the Automobile and Motorbike Association. Imagine the Holiday Inn was re-branded the Holiday and Work Inn. How does that help? How does it help to change the 'Caravan Club' brand name when we know what it means?

Grenville Chamberlain and Nick Lomas have decided to change a successful brand name to a harder to say, harder to remember, tautological mouthful for little tangible gain. Gentlemen what are you thinking about? The 'Caravan Club' brand ain't broke. Don't fix it.

Posted on 24/02/2017 12:54

Good post from someone who clearly has been involved in real world business

replied on 24/02/2017 12:55

Posted on 24/02/2017 12:55

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

replied on 24/02/2017 12:59

Posted on 24/02/2017 11:18 by RochelleCC

Hi Dave,

The feedback was gathered from multiple surveys over the years, where members told us that they felt the Club was stuffy, old-fashioned and strict. With this rebrand we are hoping to change that image.

The cost has been planned and budgeted in advance. It is being met from normal trading expenses. The amount is affordable, as it represents a tiny fraction of the Club’s turnover and will not impact any of the Club’s plans for investment in sites or club services. Many of the costs are in consumable items such as uniforms, signage and so on which need replacing on an ongoing basis in any case. We have delayed the launch of the sites directory and handbook (which will be distributed this month) for example to make sure that this has the new branding for all of its two year life and so there has been no extra costs incurred. We expect that the new brand will generate a higher profile and increased interest for the Club which will improve membership recruitment and retention and increase usage of club services so that the Club is even more successful in the future than it is now.

Posted on 24/02/2017 12:59

The feedback was gathered from multiple surveys over the years, where members told us that they felt the Club was stuffy, old-fashioned and strict. With this rebrand we are hoping to change that image.

If the CC wished to change the perception of the club did they think that a name change alone would achieve that? Seems to me that it would have made sense to implement changes to address that before rebranding. What concrete steps are the club taking to make it less stuffy, old fashioned and strict? It could be argues that cutting off the history of the red pennon might make it seem less old fashioned, not sure about stuffy as I have never found the club to be stuffy anyway in my nearly 30+ years of usage over the last 35 years. Will the name change and a few buzz words address this? 

As for the club being seen as strict how is this being addressed? Are rules to be removed, lessened or not enforced?

We expect that the new brand will generate a higher profile and increased interest for the Club which will improve membership recruitment and retention and increase usage of club services so that the Club is even more successful in the future than it is now.

Any advertising campaign could increase the profile and attract members. Retaining them is another thing. What positive steps - beyond buzz words - are intended to retain members?

As for increasing usage of club services I note existing members saying that they use the C&CC because they can book hard standing for instance. How does the new improved club seek to achieve greater usage of services. What steps are in place to achieve this? 

The cost troubles me not at all nor the name change. Cannot say that I am overjoyed at the new logo but that is another matter.

I see no substance and as I said above any 'improvements' (are there any) should be in place prior to rebranding. I assume that improved communication with members is not envisaged? 

Tinwheeler replied on 24/02/2017 13:04

Posted on 24/02/2017 08:21 by David2115

The usual people moaning on this site does not in anyway show that the rebranding is a bad decision, this is a tiny forum and is not representative of the membership, looking at the names of people shouting the loudest it is the same as those persistently commenting on, dogs, speed, arrival times, departure times, wardens, noise, ball games etc etc... someone mentioned in earlier post that members were encouraged to express their views, I wonder how many new posters have come on here to do so? Not many I suggest, 

in my view the rebranding is a good thing, it will attract some younger members who may have felt the Cc was out of date and not attractive to younger more dynamic people that are now buying motorhomes, branding as an outdoor lifestyle, walking, fishing cycling, golf etc is great and I think what people want. 

Posted on 24/02/2017 13:04

I beg to differ, David. On the whole it is not the 'usual people' who are moaning but a huge number of virtually unknown posters who have suddenly appeared. Obviously there are a few exceptions on both sides but, mainly, the regular posters are either in favour of the change or, like me, don't care either way.

JVB66 replied on 24/02/2017 13:06

Posted on 24/02/2017 12:37 by Sir Bruin

Posted on 24/02/2017 13:06

You are right in your post there are a "few" wink

Oldgirl and Staffy replied on 24/02/2017 13:12

Posted on 24/02/2017 13:12

Not sure who the club got to design the logo but they don't appear to have paid much attention to the 'psychology' of colour in marketing. Orange is  said to create anxiety and impulse buying whilst red is a high energy colour that can create a sense of urgency.....?  I don't know what muddy brown is said to promote.....!

Orange - orange can trigger a sense of caution. Used to create a sense of anxiety that can draw in impulsive buyers and window shoppers.

replied on 24/02/2017 13:18

Posted on 24/02/2017 08:21 by David2115

The usual people moaning on this site does not in anyway show that the rebranding is a bad decision, this is a tiny forum and is not representative of the membership, looking at the names of people shouting the loudest it is the same as those persistently commenting on, dogs, speed, arrival times, departure times, wardens, noise, ball games etc etc... someone mentioned in earlier post that members were encouraged to express their views, I wonder how many new posters have come on here to do so? Not many I suggest, 

in my view the rebranding is a good thing, it will attract some younger members who may have felt the Cc was out of date and not attractive to younger more dynamic people that are now buying motorhomes, branding as an outdoor lifestyle, walking, fishing cycling, golf etc is great and I think what people want. 

Posted on 24/02/2017 13:18

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook