The same Club, just better...

RochelleCC replied on 21/02/2017 08:40

Posted on 21/02/2017 08:40

Welcome to the Caravan and Motorhome Club.

Ever since we came together as a group of outdoor enthusiasts 110 years ago, our Club has continued on a journey of discovery. It's time for us to make some changes for the better by redefining who we are to help you get the most of the great outdoors.

I’m sure you all have lots of questions, please post your feedback and queries in this thread.

What does our new logo mean? We created a video to explain how we created it:

Find out more at www.camc.com/discover

paulmold replied on 24/02/2017 11:46

Posted on 24/02/2017 11:36 by MichaelT

I totally agree with your first statement that there being little point in continuing this post.

However I disagree with your second as I am quite happy with the changes.

Posted on 24/02/2017 11:46

I wasn't saying I was unhappy. I was referring to all the other posters who are not happy, that no matter how many times members say it, it ain't going to happen. I too am quite happy with the changes.

replied on 24/02/2017 11:47

Posted on 24/02/2017 11:41 by huskydog

Right then, we can see this in different ways ,we can either throw our toys out the pram ,send our stickers back and act like a spoilt child who didn't get their way ,OR we can accept it ,move on and look to organise our holidays and look forward to adventures

I am going to do the latterlaughing

For those who are not aware ,but there are other clubs and sites out therewink

Posted on 24/02/2017 11:47

Nowt to do with throwing toys out of prams Husky as I am sure you realise. More to do with highlighting the communication failures and lack of engagement from the club that they seem to prefer to gloss over with glib words rather than addressing.

huskydog replied on 24/02/2017 11:51

Posted on 24/02/2017 11:47 by

Nowt to do with throwing toys out of prams Husky as I am sure you realise. More to do with highlighting the communication failures and lack of engagement from the club that they seem to prefer to gloss over with glib words rather than addressing.

Posted on 24/02/2017 11:51

ET, yes ,perhaps a bit overdramatic on that wink 

Wildwood replied on 24/02/2017 11:55

Posted on 24/02/2017 11:55

The club seems to have achieved the impossible by getting just about every one to agree. The achievement is that the new logo is not fit for purpose and they want the old one back.

MichaelT replied on 24/02/2017 11:55

Posted on 24/02/2017 11:47 by

Posted on 24/02/2017 11:55

But ET they did communicate it all, there was a big unveiling at the NEC, it was streamed on FB, we got a letter thru the post, what more do you want a personal carrier pigeon?

We have now got the handbook (obvioulsy waiting for the name change before sending) that your life was so ruined as you had not got it.

So the daffodils are out summer is on the way so lets move on and enjoy.

The only gripe I do have with the change is the announcement of more overseas holidays, not sure they should be taking on Thomas Cook or Thomsons!  Also on the FB page they are listed as travel agents!!

MichaelT replied on 24/02/2017 11:56

Posted on 24/02/2017 11:55 by Wildwood

The club seems to have achieved the impossible by getting just about every one to agree. The achievement is that the new logo is not fit for purpose and they want the old one back.

Posted on 24/02/2017 11:56

Personally I like it and as DK says when placed next to the old one it looks modern, contemporary and far better than a red flag and a horseshoe!

David2115 replied on 24/02/2017 12:06

Posted on 24/02/2017 11:55 by Wildwood

Posted on 24/02/2017 12:06

How you figure that. I also support the change. All you have seen on this forum is a lot of posts some in support of the change and some from a small group of people who post lots of posts against it. Yes there have been 1100 post but not 1100 contributors. 

Well done caravan and motorhome club. Onwards and upward. 

replied on 24/02/2017 12:21

Posted on 24/02/2017 11:55 by MichaelT

But ET they did communicate it all, there was a big unveiling at the NEC, it was streamed on FB, we got a letter thru the post, what more do you want a personal carrier pigeon?

We have now got the handbook (obvioulsy waiting for the name change before sending) that your life was so ruined as you had not got it.

So the daffodils are out summer is on the way so lets move on and enjoy.

The only gripe I do have with the change is the announcement of more overseas holidays, not sure they should be taking on Thomas Cook or Thomsons!  Also on the FB page they are listed as travel agents!!

Posted on 24/02/2017 12:21

I do not consider a 'by the way we have' as being significant communication. Nor do I consider the then announced aims or perhaps aspirations of future improvements as being tangible in any way. Seems to carry as much conviction as most peoples new year resolutions forgotten by February the more so because the improvements are far from concrete and more like a faint mist.

DaveJ99 replied on 24/02/2017 12:25

Posted on 24/02/2017 12:25

There is a general rule in marketing, if you a have strong brand, don't change it.

The 'Caravan Club' is a greatly respected brand. The name has remained virtually unchanged for a century. It is the standard by which others are judged. It is known for quality, service and integrity. The name is easy to say and easy to remember. It is a strong brand.

There is a case for refreshing a brand's graphic identity such as logos, signage, letterheads and so on. There is also a case for repositioning a brand to better target new customers and to better define its function, for example, 'enjoying the great outdoors' is better than 'somewhere to pitch a caravan.'

Turning to the new name, the Oxford Dictionary says a caravan is a vehicle equipped for living in, typically towed. It defines a motorhome as a motor vehicle equipped like a caravan for living in.

Imagine renaming our club the 'Caravan and Motor Caravan Club.' Then you begin to see the name 'Caravan and Motorhome Club' is a pointless mouthful too. Touring caravans, motor caravans, trailer caravans and collapsible caravans are all caravans of a kind.

We know the Automobile Association is for more than automobiles. We know the Holiday Inn is for more than holidays. We know the Caravan Club is for more than touring caravans.

Imagine the AA was re-branded the Automobile and Motorbike Association. Imagine the Holiday Inn was re-branded the Holiday and Work Inn. How does that help? How does it help to change the 'Caravan Club' brand name when we know what it means?

Grenville Chamberlain and Nick Lomas have decided to change a successful brand name to a harder to say, harder to remember, tautological mouthful for little tangible gain. Gentlemen what are you thinking about? The 'Caravan Club' brand ain't broke. Don't fix it.

RochelleCC replied on 24/02/2017 12:30

Posted on 23/02/2017 23:33 by lowsas

Thank you for your response, sounds believable altthough tied up in legislation. I would still like to hear a response from the CC/CAMC rather than a fellow member on this issue

Posted on 24/02/2017 12:30

Hi Lowsas,

NigelAsh is right, all costs when finalised will be reported to members in the usual way in the Annual Report and Accounts.  That will be a far more accurate representation of the total costs which will then be more transparent to members.

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook