Member Offer: My Esso Card

RowenaBCAMC replied on 22/11/2018 14:32

Posted on 22/11/2018 14:32

Hi everyone,

We wanted you to be the first to know about a new member offer with My Esso Card. The My Esso Card is a fuel card that provides savings at 1,300 Esso fuel stations to help drive down the cost of touring. Members are guaranteed to save on fuel at every Esso station across the UK with the only consumer facing fuel card.

We are the only organisation within the touring industry able to provide this offer to members.  

What is the saving?

On average members will typically save 8p per litre on premium diesel or unleaded fuel and 5p per litre on standard diesel or unleaded fuel. That’s a typical saving of £5.60 per tank on premium fuel or £3.50 on standard fuel (based on 70 litre tank of fuel).

The saving varies based on the My Esso Card special rate and the Esso pump price rate. In the unlikely event that the pump price is lower than the My Esso Card special rate members are guaranteed to save 1p per litre on the pump price. You can use the My Esso Card to fill up all your vehicles, not just the one you tour with.

There are no fees to sign up and no transaction or processing fees. You can also earn your Tesco Clubcard points when filling up.  

We are also running a competition for members for a chance to win free fuel.

To launch this great new offer, My Esso Card are giving Caravan and Motorhome Club members an exclusive chance to win free fuel. 10 lucky winners will win 175 litres of fuel and another 10 lucky winners 75 litres of fuel!  Members need to register for a card and fill by 31 December 2018 to be entered into the random prize draw.  Winners will automatically have the fuel credit added to their My Esso Card account.

To find out more about this member offer visit My Esso Card Member Offer on the Club website 

IBH replied on 24/03/2019 19:44

Posted on 24/03/2019 19:44

Members who want to use Esso fuels can get an advantage, there is no advantage if the choice of fuel is from a supermarket. I personally only use Esso or Shell, so I am happy with the card and those who quote the cost of fuel from Costco must be possession of a member's card at a cost of £37.00 per annum and is the price quoted before or after VAT is added?

lornalou1 replied on 24/03/2019 19:45

Posted on 24/03/2019 16:05 by eddietheeagle

Here is a resume concerning petrol prices in the last few days in my area:-

Texaco 117.9

Jet 117.9

Costco 114.7

Asda 115.7

Esso 121.9

Pump King advised price by text

on Friday 22/3/19.  122.7

Based on the above price comparison, can any member advise where the price advantage is of using the fuel card?

Posted on 24/03/2019 19:45

well don't use the fuel card. like surfer says, use the cheap supermarket fuels. you wouldn't use Texaco or Jet would you as Asda and Costco are cheaper. common sense and customer choice spring to mind.

avondriver replied on 24/03/2019 20:39

Posted on 24/03/2019 19:45 by lornalou1

well don't use the fuel card. like surfer says, use the cheap supermarket fuels. you wouldn't use Texaco or Jet would you as Asda and Costco are cheaper. common sense and customer choice spring to mind.

Posted on 24/03/2019 20:39

exactly right - it would be helpful of those that keep on comparing to supermarkets would explain what they expect or don't get in the fact that fuel prices vary by location and the essence of an average is that some will benefit others won't.

Navigateur replied on 24/03/2019 20:56

Posted on 24/03/2019 20:56

For the average to be 8, there must be values higher than eight being considered.  I have not seen such values reported.

Costo memberships are not just for fuel - lots of good stuff in the store.

IBH replied on 24/03/2019 21:49

Posted on 24/03/2019 21:49

Costo memberships are not just for fuel - lots of good stuff in the store.

I am aware that Costco sell over things, the point is you have to be a member to take advantage of their prices andand  everyone is in a position to be a member.

avondriver replied on 24/03/2019 22:10

Posted on 23/03/2019 21:47 by meld55003

Had to get fuel on the M6 today (usually come off to look for sensible prices) but saw Stafford services was Esso and thought why not !!

165.9p at pump but 32p per litre less on card (£21 saved)

Initial hitches over, this is now a no-brainer for me.

Posted on 24/03/2019 22:10

well here is one that is more than 8

TheTallGuy replied on 24/03/2019 23:26

Posted on 24/03/2019 23:26

Yesterday saw my second go at using the PK card, this time at Gloucester Services southbound, as I was towing the caravan.

I nipped into the shop beforehand just to check if they recognised the card and was assured they did - the cashier also helpfully pointed out that as I had (intentionally) pulled onto an HGV pump, that the nozzle may not fit into the filler neck of my towing vehicle (Ford Transit Custom), and not to force it if it didn't.  As predicted it didn't, but the filling station is so well laid out (and quiet) that I was easily able to reverse off that position, and pull forward onto a 'normal' one.

That little diversion aside I filled up and my card was accepted by the machine without an issue.  If the bill comes through as expected then I think this may become my new way of filling up when out caravanning, rather than remembering to fill the Transit beforehand, or trying to find 'off-motorway' locations.  (I know there aren't large numbers of motorway services with Esso fuel, but fortunately there are two near me, covering most of the journeys I'll do with the caravan in tow).

I saved 27.5p per litre off the pump price but FWIW the PK card was my cheapest option anyway - 3.5p less than my local Esso, and 0.5p cheaper than a nearby Asda.

Will post here once the bill comes through, with the outcome.

Justus2 replied on 25/03/2019 07:11

Posted on 25/03/2019 07:11

So far I have found that the Esso card prices are cheaper than the so called "cheaper supermarket fuel " , well it is around here anyway.  So the card works for us, pretty much all the time. If you happen to have an Asda or a Costco or whoever that is cheaper then you are lucky if that suits you, we are 45 miles from an Asda and having checked, 70 miles away from a Costco, ( a company I had never even heard of till this thread), so we won't be going there anytime soon... wink 

It has often occurred to me, that if a particular supermarket is selling fuel at a slightly cheaper price in certain towns, then other towns, like ours is actually funding that discount by paying a slightly higher price. I have not noticed any other commodities purchased in supermarkets other than fuel varying from town to town, but such is life. undecided

Bakers2 replied on 25/03/2019 07:31

Posted on 25/03/2019 07:31

It has often occurred to me, that if a particular supermarket is selling fuel at a slightly cheaper price in certain towns, then other towns, like ours is actually funding that discount by paying a slightly higher price. I have not noticed any other commodities purchased in supermarkets other than fuel varying from town to town, but such is life. 

I worked for Tesco for a bit 20 plus years ago it certainly discounted at different rates on fruit and veg in different areas. Smoke and mirrors! I believe the 'party line' was to do with turnover and profit margin, sell more volume you can cut the profit margin to achieve the same total of profit.

Justus2 replied on 25/03/2019 07:39

Posted on 25/03/2019 07:39

Interesting insight Bakers2, so smaller lower volume towns and stores are in effect subsidising higher volume towns and stores. It's worse than I thought, but then we do have the advantage of living at the seaside..cool

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook