Member Offer: My Esso Card

RowenaBCAMC replied on 22/11/2018 14:32

Posted on 22/11/2018 14:32

Hi everyone,

We wanted you to be the first to know about a new member offer with My Esso Card. The My Esso Card is a fuel card that provides savings at 1,300 Esso fuel stations to help drive down the cost of touring. Members are guaranteed to save on fuel at every Esso station across the UK with the only consumer facing fuel card.

We are the only organisation within the touring industry able to provide this offer to members.  

What is the saving?

On average members will typically save 8p per litre on premium diesel or unleaded fuel and 5p per litre on standard diesel or unleaded fuel. That’s a typical saving of £5.60 per tank on premium fuel or £3.50 on standard fuel (based on 70 litre tank of fuel).

The saving varies based on the My Esso Card special rate and the Esso pump price rate. In the unlikely event that the pump price is lower than the My Esso Card special rate members are guaranteed to save 1p per litre on the pump price. You can use the My Esso Card to fill up all your vehicles, not just the one you tour with.

There are no fees to sign up and no transaction or processing fees. You can also earn your Tesco Clubcard points when filling up.  

We are also running a competition for members for a chance to win free fuel.

To launch this great new offer, My Esso Card are giving Caravan and Motorhome Club members an exclusive chance to win free fuel. 10 lucky winners will win 175 litres of fuel and another 10 lucky winners 75 litres of fuel!  Members need to register for a card and fill by 31 December 2018 to be entered into the random prize draw.  Winners will automatically have the fuel credit added to their My Esso Card account.

To find out more about this member offer visit My Esso Card Member Offer on the Club website 

GJac replied on 14/03/2019 08:40

Posted on 14/03/2019 06:13 by rambling robin

With reference to deletion of personal details a quick look at the Pumpkin Privacy Document reveals that they have created a loophole for themselves to effectively keep your data for as long as they like.

How Long We Keep Your Personal Data:-

We will retain your personal data, whether or not your account is active, for as long as we believe it necessary or desirable to fulfil our business purposes or to comply with applicable law, audit requirements, regulatory requests or orders from competent courts.

Pump king Privacy Document

They do of course mention erasure since that is essential in compliance with GDPR. I have requested erasure of personal data - as distinct to transaction records which are of course relevant.

If they do not reply I will refer to the ICO.

I am particularly angry that there is no provision to actually close off my account - it is Unsubscribed or Blocked. There is no mention of this limitation in the sign up process and I see this is a significant failure of the process of vetting this offer.

Posted on 14/03/2019 08:40

Hello Rambling Robin

Thank you for that info - as I exited the registration process after submitting my name, address, phone no and email address - but before entering bank details, I didn't even reach the page where such information was available for me to read.  I certainly did not tick any boxes giving permission to retain personal details.

I have emailed PK three times requesting deletion of my details, they have not responded.

The next step I will take today is to contact the ICO.

Thank you again.

Surfer replied on 14/03/2019 08:46

Posted on 14/03/2019 06:13 by rambling robin

With reference to deletion of personal details a quick look at the Pumpkin Privacy Document reveals that they have created a loophole for themselves to effectively keep your data for as long as they like.

How Long We Keep Your Personal Data:-

We will retain your personal data, whether or not your account is active, for as long as we believe it necessary or desirable to fulfil our business purposes or to comply with applicable law, audit requirements, regulatory requests or orders from competent courts.

Pump king Privacy Document

They do of course mention erasure since that is essential in compliance with GDPR. I have requested erasure of personal data - as distinct to transaction records which are of course relevant.

If they do not reply I will refer to the ICO.

I am particularly angry that there is no provision to actually close off my account - it is Unsubscribed or Blocked. There is no mention of this limitation in the sign up process and I see this is a significant failure of the process of vetting this offer.

Posted on 14/03/2019 08:46

A lot depends on which T&CS were in place when you signed up as the current ones may not be applicable to you.  As far as I am aware no one has received an email advising them that the T&Cs have changed or being updated.  I assume this applies to the privacy document which I never saw when I signed up at end of November.

brue replied on 14/03/2019 08:51

Posted on 14/03/2019 08:51

I can't see that they can erase personal data as opposed to transaction details as the two go hand in hand, your details are part of any transaction for legal and accounting purposes. The information is also checked against your CAMC membership I think? The two are linked.

RowenaBCAMC replied on 14/03/2019 14:25

Posted on 14/03/2019 14:25

Hi everyone,

I am sorry for not replying sooner. I have been out of the office and unable to reply to members.  

I have spoken to my colleagues who have advised they know there have been operational issues with the Pump King fuel card and the Club is really sorry that some members have experienced problems with their cards and service.

This is a ground-breaking member offer which has never been done before on this scale. The unprecedented number of people signing-up for the offer has been overwhelming and, as a result, the card operator has experienced operational difficulties in keeping up with demand and customer service.

As a Club we firmly believe this member offer represents real value for money and will help members reduce their touring costs.  We are continuing to work closely with Pump King and will use all our expertise to support them in delivering this offer.

With regards to the privacy policy queries, I have forwarded this on to my colleagues to find out further information. 

JohnM20 replied on 14/03/2019 17:13

Posted on 14/03/2019 14:25 by RowenaBCAMC

Hi everyone,

I am sorry for not replying sooner. I have been out of the office and unable to reply to members.  

I have spoken to my colleagues who have advised they know there have been operational issues with the Pump King fuel card and the Club is really sorry that some members have experienced problems with their cards and service.

This is a ground-breaking member offer which has never been done before on this scale. The unprecedented number of people signing-up for the offer has been overwhelming and, as a result, the card operator has experienced operational difficulties in keeping up with demand and customer service.

As a Club we firmly believe this member offer represents real value for money and will help members reduce their touring costs.  We are continuing to work closely with Pump King and will use all our expertise to support them in delivering this offer.

With regards to the privacy policy queries, I have forwarded this on to my colleagues to find out further information. 

Posted on 14/03/2019 17:13

Rowena, does that include inquiring why 75% of my pin number is  embossed on my card? It isn't just mine card according to many accounts on this thread. It is just the first number which is different and would only take a maximum of 8 attempts to find the full number should I be unfortunate enough to have my card stolen or accidentally lost.

This card is effectively a debit or credit card - would you like to have your pin number on the front of your bank cards? I bet the answer is "No". Contrary to what is stated on the FAQs it cannot be for security reasons, just the opposite in fact. This issue can hardly be described as an operational one due to very high demand. No, it is a cheap way, by not having the card personalised and having the pin embossed and already linked to the card, of trying to replace the thousands of cards that they had to do due to their mis-management of the scheme from the outset. Unfortunately this member offer will not go down in the history of the CaMC as one of the better achievements.

WillDeBeast replied on 14/03/2019 17:24

Posted on 14/03/2019 17:24

>> It is just the first number which is different

Mine was the same, though I was told by PK that it was random. 

I've cut up the card and closed the account.

Surfer replied on 15/03/2019 08:48

Posted on 14/03/2019 14:25 by RowenaBCAMC

Hi everyone,

Posted on 15/03/2019 08:48

Rowena thank you for posting at long last and trying to give some sort of feeble excuse about Pumpkin and how it represents value to members while studiously avoiding answering questions which have been highlighted on more than one occasion in recent posts!

Maybe if these questions regarding T&Cs, Privacy & our data etc were answered it may help go a little way towards restoring some credibility in this so called promotion or benefit. Why is the privacy issue and our data only being investigated now when the issue was raised weeks and weeks ago?

Your original post stated average savings of 5p however it seems to be closer to 3p.  As the company was only founded in April 2018 please explain how the data to work out the average 5p savings was obtained. 

Also why does it take up to a week for my account to be debited with the amount?  At the moment we do not see the card as a benefit and have given up using it.

We all look forward in anticipation to your reply regarding the questions on T&Cs, date etc but will not be holding our breath for a reply!

Yertiz replied on 15/03/2019 09:04

Posted on 15/03/2019 08:48 by Surfer

Rowena thank you for posting at long last and trying to give some sort of feeble excuse about Pumpkin and how it represents value to members while studiously avoiding answering questions which have been highlighted on more than one occasion in recent posts!

Maybe if these questions regarding T&Cs, Privacy & our data etc were answered it may help go a little way towards restoring some credibility in this so called promotion or benefit. Why is the privacy issue and our data only being investigated now when the issue was raised weeks and weeks ago?

Your original post stated average savings of 5p however it seems to be closer to 3p.  As the company was only founded in April 2018 please explain how the data to work out the average 5p savings was obtained. 

Also why does it take up to a week for my account to be debited with the amount?  At the moment we do not see the card as a benefit and have given up using it.

We all look forward in anticipation to your reply regarding the questions on T&Cs, date etc but will not be holding our breath for a reply!

Posted on 15/03/2019 09:04

Perhaps it would be an idea that the company that holds members data, i.e Pump-King, were to issue a clarification to the concerns that affect members.

The club, which in truth, has only been a messenger for Pump-King will not know the answers.

These issues need to be answered "from the horses mouth" really, not the tailwink

NPH replied on 15/03/2019 11:00

Posted on 15/03/2019 11:00

My card – as previously posted – shows 75% of my PIN. I raised this with Pumpkin and they said it's random (as I previously reported): we now know that a considerable number of us have the same issue, so it seems unlikely that it could be random. I rang CAMC about three weeks ago about this issue and was promised that I would be phoned back by the person who set this all up: 'Tolga'(?) This has not happened. Then yesterday I received a further new Pump King card (interestingly posted in a CAMC envelope) with instructions to to activate (as before), so I thought maybe this is to get rid of the PIN issue. However, I have kept logging in and I can't input the new card number as instructed as there is no 'activate new card' option available … So I can't activate the card and don't know for how long my current card will continue to work.
Anyone else had this latest problem?
The saga just goes on and on.

Rufs replied on 15/03/2019 11:23

Posted on 14/03/2019 17:24 by WillDeBeast

>> It is just the first number which is different

Mine was the same, though I was told by PK that it was random. 

I've cut up the card and closed the account.

Posted on 15/03/2019 11:23

yup mine the same, am i worried, not one bit, as i have said before if you have used Paypal/Amazon/Ebay etc all your details are out there. Used card today saved 6 pence per ltr over my local Shell garage, but do agreee this promotion has/is a fiasco.

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook