Member Offer: My Esso Card

RowenaBCAMC replied on 22/11/2018 14:32

Posted on 22/11/2018 14:32

Hi everyone,

We wanted you to be the first to know about a new member offer with My Esso Card. The My Esso Card is a fuel card that provides savings at 1,300 Esso fuel stations to help drive down the cost of touring. Members are guaranteed to save on fuel at every Esso station across the UK with the only consumer facing fuel card.

We are the only organisation within the touring industry able to provide this offer to members.  

What is the saving?

On average members will typically save 8p per litre on premium diesel or unleaded fuel and 5p per litre on standard diesel or unleaded fuel. That’s a typical saving of £5.60 per tank on premium fuel or £3.50 on standard fuel (based on 70 litre tank of fuel).

The saving varies based on the My Esso Card special rate and the Esso pump price rate. In the unlikely event that the pump price is lower than the My Esso Card special rate members are guaranteed to save 1p per litre on the pump price. You can use the My Esso Card to fill up all your vehicles, not just the one you tour with.

There are no fees to sign up and no transaction or processing fees. You can also earn your Tesco Clubcard points when filling up.  

We are also running a competition for members for a chance to win free fuel.

To launch this great new offer, My Esso Card are giving Caravan and Motorhome Club members an exclusive chance to win free fuel. 10 lucky winners will win 175 litres of fuel and another 10 lucky winners 75 litres of fuel!  Members need to register for a card and fill by 31 December 2018 to be entered into the random prize draw.  Winners will automatically have the fuel credit added to their My Esso Card account.

To find out more about this member offer visit My Esso Card Member Offer on the Club website 

WillDeBeast replied on 20/02/2019 22:01

Posted on 20/02/2019 19:03 by flatcoat

Yes this is a total cook up..... I cannot remember my PIN and no amount of effort to recall or change it has worked; the new card has yet to arrive; the pump price at the nearest (only) Esso filling station is only about 1p/litre more than the pumpking price so probably not worth the hassle of sorting out my card. I can’t be bothered to read through 1000 or more posts however I would like to know if the club have dis-associated themselves from and discontinued this offer that isn’t..... somehow I doubt it. Don’t have a problem using Esso fuel and their premium diesel at 134p/litre compares well with VPower and Ultimate and seems to suit my car. 

Posted on 20/02/2019 22:01

If its anything like mine, the PIN on the new card will be very easy to remember.  It's almost written on the front of the card!!!!!!

WillDeBeast replied on 20/02/2019 22:16

Posted on 20/02/2019 22:16

This latest fiasco with the PIN is the last straw for me.  I've not seen any reports from people saying that their PIN is markedly different from the 4-digit number on the front of the card.

Pump King are no longer an organisation that I want to deal with. Their security seems weak. They've double-charged a few customers, and seem to have charged a few VAT on top of the advertised price.  They've changed the Ts&Cs without giving the due notice. I'm concerned about my liability if anything happens to my card.  They've been hard for people to contact by phone and email.

I've ordered a new debit card as the first step.  I shall put my pumpking card in the safe, and if the situation improves over the next month or two then I'll think about getting it out and giving the new debit card details.  But for now I'm out.

Fuel is expensive in my area of the country, and the card could save me quite a bit of money.  But the PIN security risk is final straw.

lornalou1 replied on 20/02/2019 22:45

Posted on 20/02/2019 22:45

before any of you cut up the card, could I ask you to see if the "pin number" on the front can be Deleted User by a hot iron tip or soldering iron and flatten/remove it. worth a try as you don't want the card but I do and don't want to damage it as used a couple of times without a problem. then let us know if it works. thanks everyone. smile

Yertiz replied on 21/02/2019 07:01

Posted on 20/02/2019 17:11 by NPH

So far I've counted seven of us whose PIN is 75% printed on the front of the card. Surely this is unacceptable? And unsafe. How many others just haven't noticed, I wonder? By the way, when I rang PK they said that it was not possible to change the PIN. So maybe they will have to reissue the cards again …

Posted on 21/02/2019 07:01

Make that 8 NPHundecided

If I was a betting man I would have a £5 note on this being the case with everyone's new card!

WillDeBeast replied on 21/02/2019 07:13

Posted on 21/02/2019 07:01 by Yertiz

Make that 8 NPHundecided

If I was a betting man I would have a £5 note on this being the case with everyone's new card!

Posted on 21/02/2019 07:13

Yep, so if you found a card that someone had dropped - perhaps on a club site - you stand a fair chance of being able to guess the PIN????

I hope that someone comes along soon and says that their PIN seems to be truly random.  And that our fears are misfounded.

When I had a company fuel card it had my registration number on the front, and was only valid for that car - much more secure.

rambling robin replied on 21/02/2019 08:26

Posted on 21/02/2019 07:13 by WillDeBeast

Yep, so if you found a card that someone had dropped - perhaps on a club site - you stand a fair chance of being able to guess the PIN????

I hope that someone comes along soon and says that their PIN seems to be truly random.  And that our fears are misfounded.

When I had a company fuel card it had my registration number on the front, and was only valid for that car - much more secure.

Posted on 21/02/2019 08:26

....but if you lose your Pumpkin Fuel card surely all you have to do is phone their 24/7 customer hotline and report it and they'll block the card immediately?????????? frown

Or you can just phone the bank and block your debit card instead which may make the rest of your holiday a bit tricky undecidedcool

replied on 21/02/2019 08:38

Posted on 21/02/2019 08:38

I reckon you could make a film of this debacle - 'The Neverending Story'. 

Surfer replied on 21/02/2019 08:42

Posted on 21/02/2019 08:42

In the event that your card is misused due to a miscreant being able to access your PIN, who would you then claim from?  Pump King or your debit card provider?

replied on 21/02/2019 08:50

Posted on 21/02/2019 08:50

I would have thought that any recompense would be from Debit Card provider if any recompense at all,

Edited to add. I am not at all sure that there might not be a claim against Pump King. As I don't have their card I shan't investigate. The whole thing does seem a shambles though

Rufs replied on 21/02/2019 09:03

Posted on 21/02/2019 08:38 by

I reckon you could make a film of this debacle - 'The Neverending Story'. 

Posted on 21/02/2019 09:03

you could but you would never make any money, because as with the Shell Card and other promotions such as Sat Nav's that have been handled very badly at launch time, once the dust settles people start to reap the rewards, and life goes on, we will all still contribute to the club coffers .

Not condoning what has gone on here and i think it is appalling that the club have not as yet issued any kind of official apology, and as reported on here, are still promoting the Esso card at some caravan show.frown

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook