Member Offer: My Esso Card

RowenaBCAMC replied on 22/11/2018 14:32

Posted on 22/11/2018 14:32

Hi everyone,

We wanted you to be the first to know about a new member offer with My Esso Card. The My Esso Card is a fuel card that provides savings at 1,300 Esso fuel stations to help drive down the cost of touring. Members are guaranteed to save on fuel at every Esso station across the UK with the only consumer facing fuel card.

We are the only organisation within the touring industry able to provide this offer to members.  

What is the saving?

On average members will typically save 8p per litre on premium diesel or unleaded fuel and 5p per litre on standard diesel or unleaded fuel. That’s a typical saving of £5.60 per tank on premium fuel or £3.50 on standard fuel (based on 70 litre tank of fuel).

The saving varies based on the My Esso Card special rate and the Esso pump price rate. In the unlikely event that the pump price is lower than the My Esso Card special rate members are guaranteed to save 1p per litre on the pump price. You can use the My Esso Card to fill up all your vehicles, not just the one you tour with.

There are no fees to sign up and no transaction or processing fees. You can also earn your Tesco Clubcard points when filling up.  

We are also running a competition for members for a chance to win free fuel.

To launch this great new offer, My Esso Card are giving Caravan and Motorhome Club members an exclusive chance to win free fuel. 10 lucky winners will win 175 litres of fuel and another 10 lucky winners 75 litres of fuel!  Members need to register for a card and fill by 31 December 2018 to be entered into the random prize draw.  Winners will automatically have the fuel credit added to their My Esso Card account.

To find out more about this member offer visit My Esso Card Member Offer on the Club website 

StevieMcC replied on 21/02/2019 09:24

Posted on 21/02/2019 09:24

This whole scheme is a complete debacle.  Pump King just refuse to acknowledge or reply to communication, and I don't see much in the way of interest or interjection from the club who endorsed this to it's members... and shockingly continue to promote and tout it at every opportunity.

I did note that today, my card number and pin number have disappeared from the pk website... possibly as they prepare to issue card #3 with the pin printed on the front!

Has anyone checked out the privacy policy in PK's latest updated revised changed T&Cs (see section 7.1) - I'd love to hear how you get on finding them.  Also section 3.1 states the card holder will be able to use the card to draw fuel...  I'd say there are a fair few of us who could challenge that one!

I'll continue to wait with baited breath, the arrival of my 3rd card, and will update re: pin number stamped on front (prior to dropping it in the shredder).  I don't think the club has much interest in this other than to maximise uptake presumably for the reward they'll get from pk, and this forum is just for us to have a shared moan.

Rufs replied on 21/02/2019 09:34

Posted on 21/02/2019 08:42 by Surfer

In the event that your card is misused due to a miscreant being able to access your PIN, who would you then claim from?  Pump King or your debit card provider?

Posted on 21/02/2019 09:34

lets look at the greater picture, ...Agency fuel cards, which in essence is what the Esso card is, have been used by hauliers, fleet managers, coach companies for decades, this is not a new concept, and as such the dangers of misuse etc have been with us for decades, and surely the T&C's that say you can only purchase a limited amount of fuel in a given period would mean that anybody finding your card and using it would be limited to probably less than £100 in total spend.

As for PK misusing your debit card, well i assume you do not have a Paypal, Amazon, ebay etc account, much bigger organisations no doubt, but you only need 1 bad apple within the organisation and all sorts of nasties could happen. I seem to recall way way back that the financials for this card are the responsibility of the company that handle Paypal ?undecided, its a bad bad world out there be vigilant laughing

Tinwheeler replied on 21/02/2019 09:44

Posted on 21/02/2019 09:44

Although you have a point with ref to the other companies, Rufs, the difference is that they allow you to use credit cards on which the holder can set a limit. PK will only let you use a debit card which gives access to your entire bank account. 

We have to have trust in the organisations we give our card details to and I’ve not seen anything here that would encourage me to trust PK. 

SteveL replied on 21/02/2019 10:17

Posted on 21/02/2019 10:17

I would find it difficult to have trust in any organisation that does not allow you to change your pin. All the cards I have linked to accounts for either actual money or points, have the facility to change your pin / password. Not that I do it a lot, but then they aren't printed on the front.🤔

replied on 21/02/2019 10:34

Posted on 20/02/2019 16:30 by DSB

So is mine....

David

Posted on 21/02/2019 10:34

Same here - Most of the PIN, No Name, No membership number, No registration number - so no possible security check at the fuel station.

NPH replied on 21/02/2019 10:50

Posted on 21/02/2019 10:50

Just to update. It now seems that nine people on this discussion have noticed that the PIN and 75% of the code on the front of their cards coincide. No-one has reported that there is no coincidence. So to be clear, we are talking about the three digit number printed below the CAMC identifier on the new card issued this week: has anyone got a number that does not correspond to the final three digits of their PIN? I'm awaiting a callback from CAMC on this so all information would be really helpful. Thank you.

toneweb replied on 21/02/2019 11:10

Posted on 21/02/2019 10:50 by NPH

Just to update. It now seems that nine people on this discussion have noticed that the PIN and 75% of the code on the front of their cards coincide. No-one has reported that there is no coincidence. So to be clear, we are talking about the three digit number printed below the CAMC identifier on the new card issued this week: has anyone got a number that does not correspond to the final three digits of their PIN? I'm awaiting a callback from CAMC on this so all information would be really helpful. Thank you.

Posted on 21/02/2019 11:10

Just checked my new card and lo and behold, it also matches 3 digits of my pin ! Worse still they are in the same ordersurprised.  My old card had my name printed on it too but the new one doesn't. 

I had no trouble using old card (twice) and have been billed correctly on those purchases, but might wait a while before attempting to use this one!

WillDeBeast replied on 21/02/2019 11:48

Posted on 21/02/2019 09:34 by Rufs

lets look at the greater picture, ...Agency fuel cards, which in essence is what the Esso card is, have been used by hauliers, fleet managers, coach companies for decades, this is not a new concept, and as such the dangers of misuse etc have been with us for decades, and surely the T&C's that say you can only purchase a limited amount of fuel in a given period would mean that anybody finding your card and using it would be limited to probably less than £100 in total spend.

As for PK misusing your debit card, well i assume you do not have a Paypal, Amazon, ebay etc account, much bigger organisations no doubt, but you only need 1 bad apple within the organisation and all sorts of nasties could happen. I seem to recall way way back that the financials for this card are the responsibility of the company that handle Paypal ?undecided, its a bad bad world out there be vigilant laughing

Posted on 21/02/2019 11:48

I've had agency cards.  Most had the registration number on them, and could only be used with that vehicle.  A few had my name on, and could only be used by me.

These cards have neither.  And seem to have three of the four digits of the PIN embossed on the front of the card.

The Ts&Cs do not seem to place a limit on liability, even after the card is reported missing/stolen. 

deryckhogge replied on 21/02/2019 12:36

Posted on 21/02/2019 12:36

Received my card to day and apart from a large blob of glue stuck to the silver strip on the back everything is fine . 

My name is not on the front but there is also no reference to my PIN number or any way it can be worked out.

My PIN number was given to me when I logged onto the pump-king web site.

I have signed the back but can’t remember anyone ever looking there recently 

MotorCamper replied on 21/02/2019 12:37

Posted on 21/02/2019 12:37

Received my card today but still awaiting the reply back to my email from the end of January!

I can't say if the pin partly matches the number embossed on the card as I now have no intention of activating it.

If it's of any help, the "Return Address" for Pump King is printed along the bottom front of the envelope containing the card.

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook