How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

SteveDSD replied on 08/02/2017 16:54

Posted on 08/02/2017 16:54

Hi Merve. The lithium batteries certainly do make a difference. I'm sure in a caravan they'd be even more useful by saving weight. 

My compressor fridge is a Waeco CR50, and it pulls about 40 Watts when the compressor is running. Depending on the ambient air temperature and how I've set the thermostat the cycle is around 15 to 20 minutes out of the hour. When the compressor isn't running it's using a minimal amount of power just for the electronics and an LED.

Thats around 25 to 30Ah a day as the cycle is greatly reduced at night when it's cooler. 

My solar setup is 4 x 100 Watt panels on the roof rack of my campervan. I'm currently re-working the mounts as they were permanently flat against the roof which doesn't help the efficiency. 

When it comes to food I tend to eat cereal, sandwiches, sweets and things that only require boiling water so I get away with the one gas ring, I'm still on the same gas bottle I got 5 years ago smile

Having a carvery near to a campsite means I'll probably eat there instead. 

As for running an inverter for my microwave, I really don't want to draw that much power from these batteries as they're only rated for 40Amp continuous draw (so 80Amp for the two batteries together) and a microwave on the inverter would be around 100Amps. 

Merve replied on 08/02/2017 18:09

Posted on 08/02/2017 16:54 by SteveDSD

Hi Merve. The lithium batteries certainly do make a difference. I'm sure in a caravan they'd be even more useful by saving weight. 

My compressor fridge is a Waeco CR50, and it pulls about 40 Watts when the compressor is running. Depending on the ambient air temperature and how I've set the thermostat the cycle is around 15 to 20 minutes out of the hour. When the compressor isn't running it's using a minimal amount of power just for the electronics and an LED.

Thats around 25 to 30Ah a day as the cycle is greatly reduced at night when it's cooler. 

My solar setup is 4 x 100 Watt panels on the roof rack of my campervan. I'm currently re-working the mounts as they were permanently flat against the roof which doesn't help the efficiency. 

When it comes to food I tend to eat cereal, sandwiches, sweets and things that only require boiling water so I get away with the one gas ring, I'm still on the same gas bottle I got 5 years ago smile

Having a carvery near to a campsite means I'll probably eat there instead. 

As for running an inverter for my microwave, I really don't want to draw that much power from these batteries as they're only rated for 40Amp continuous draw (so 80Amp for the two batteries together) and a microwave on the inverter would be around 100Amps. 

Posted on 08/02/2017 18:09

It's that last paragraph that leaps from the page? I'll have to check that out! Thanks. 

SteveDSD replied on 09/02/2017 08:50

Posted on 08/02/2017 18:09 by Merve

It's that last paragraph that leaps from the page? I'll have to check that out! Thanks. 

Posted on 09/02/2017 08:50

Yeah, it's something that people don't really take note of.  Even lead acid batteries have a maximum discharge rate or you risk warping the plates. 

Pippah45 replied on 09/02/2017 10:07

Posted on 09/02/2017 10:07

Merve with you being so into health with your distilled water - it surprises me that you use a microwave at all!  The one that came with my caravan sits in my box room and is used to heat my beanbag neck comforter occasionally! 

SteveDSD replied on 09/02/2017 12:34

Posted on 08/02/2017 17:16 by cyberyacht

Lithium Ion! surprised The batteries would be worth more than the van.

Posted on 09/02/2017 12:34

Very nearly, although as I've put over £16,000 of diesel in my van since I bought it then it's not that much at all smile

They're really an investment for me, mainly due to the weight.

These lithium batteries fit my use case a lot better, have the useable capacity of at least 4 AGM batteries, weigh less (fuel saving as I use my campervan for my daily commute). Oh, and 2000 cycles to 80% rated capacity, whereas my AGM batteries probably only lasted for 1000 cycles before being completely unusable. 

Merve replied on 09/02/2017 14:04

Posted on 09/02/2017 10:07 by Pippah45

Merve with you being so into health with your distilled water - it surprises me that you use a microwave at all!  The one that came with my caravan sits in my box room and is used to heat my beanbag neck comforter occasionally! 

Posted on 09/02/2017 14:04

Pippah, I switch it on and remove myself from the area!  Never ever stand in front of a microwave when it's on!

Pippah45 replied on 09/02/2017 16:50

Posted on 09/02/2017 16:50

Well that's a start but I am guessing you eat the food you cook in it?  I have worked with a Molecular Biologist and he was more eloquent on the subject than I could ever be - suffice it to say I prefer the molecules in my food to be cooked they way they have been cooked for thousands of years.  You may think it's old fashioned but it takes a few years for our bodies to evolve to accept different things - give it another hundred or so and I may join the microwave lovers!  laughing

Merve replied on 09/02/2017 17:20

Posted on 09/02/2017 16:50 by Pippah45

Well that's a start but I am guessing you eat the food you cook in it?  I have worked with a Molecular Biologist and he was more eloquent on the subject than I could ever be - suffice it to say I prefer the molecules in my food to be cooked they way they have been cooked for thousands of years.  You may think it's old fashioned but it takes a few years for our bodies to evolve to accept different things - give it another hundred or so and I may join the microwave lovers!  laughing

Posted on 09/02/2017 17:20

I only heat food in the MW, not cook it, and my OH has not noticed me glowing in the dark yet! LOL I steam my veg etc as its not only cheaper on gas (SAFEFILL) as you are only using one ring but it also stops the veg being contaminated by the water you use. They are cooked in steam or to put it another way - steam is as clean as distilled water. My water distiller arrived today from Amazon (ViaFosa). Now that IS something I'm going to miss whilst away totally clean water- unless I'm on EHU..........yeah, right!

Merve replied on 09/02/2017 17:28

Posted on 09/02/2017 08:50 by SteveDSD

Yeah, it's something that people don't really take note of.  Even lead acid batteries have a maximum discharge rate or you risk warping the plates. 

Posted on 09/02/2017 17:28

Well, according to my electrician/electronics engineer, although good, Li ion is still being perfected!! Apparently, lead acid are far more robust for the large draws required and the last 3 years has proved that to me at least. Buying Li Ion batteries can be quite confusing as their are different grades apparently. I'll hold back on those for a bit and see what happens. Had a really good chat to him about USBs and chargers etc - its more complicated than you think!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook