How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

SteveDSD replied on 13/02/2017 09:38

Posted on 13/02/2017 09:12 by Pippah45

Have we got to the point where we should have a separate thread for Water?  Getting off Topic here! 

Posted on 13/02/2017 09:38

Sorry for the detour into water, hopefully it wasn't too deep.  

Although im a bit mad with my power setup I still do some things to help when not on EHU.  I do the normal thing of pre-chilling the fridge with as many frozen things as I can (milk, sausages etc.) and then as things thaw during my time away I use them. Turning my fridge to maximum while driving and then turning it down when I arrive on site helps a lot.

Another power saving idea is to have a cooler with some ice in it, and then cover it with a damp towel and keep it in the shade under the awning or van where the evaporating water from the towel will help keep the cooler cold.  Putting a bit (a small heap) of table salt in the ice water will lower the temperature quite a lot. 

All my bulbs are LED, I have 12v to USB chargers for all my gadgets apart from my laptop which I managed to get a 12v adapter for. Saves having to have an inverter for all those little "wall wart" power adapters. 

If you're going out on day trips it might be worth using that time to charge your gadgets from the cigarette lighter socket in your car/motorhome if you can, thus saving your battery a little bit. 

Merve replied on 13/02/2017 12:14

Posted on 13/02/2017 12:14

Water that is already safe to drink? I appreciate your comments AtThe Van and I agree to the point where the water from taps is 'drinkable' but safe to drink? We will have to agree to disagree there. The body is indeed an amazing organism and can deal with many things but over a period even the body is over powered by toxins. Clean pure water is the only thing that can remove them. If you are telling me, having watched 'The Journey of Water' on YouTube that tap water is perfectly safe then so be it. As far as the Acidity or alkalinity of the body is concerned, any amount of proven research can be found. Fresh fruit and Veg are one of the biggest protectors of good and lasting health. The fact that acid is in the stomach is a different argument. Our creator thought all about it and ensured that the body was protected from the acid in our stomachs. Yes, we can all pull an example out of the air to 'prove' the opposite but this has to be seen as a general rule. Anyway, this is not a health thread and I apologise for introducing it. I should have known better!! I will now return to SPs, Inverters and batteries. 8 days to go to the show! Can't wait!

Pippah45 replied on 13/02/2017 18:10

Posted on 13/02/2017 18:10

I find it interesting that Mothers of New Born Babies here are issued with bottled water (to make the milk with!).  

Hedgehurst replied on 13/02/2017 19:19

Posted on 13/02/2017 19:19

This health diversion is fascinating - perhaps we should start a dedicated thread... meanwhile, back to non-ehu, I'm truly fascinated and am only just starting out.

Dear Caravan Club, is there a chance we could have a complete section on how to survive off-grid? There's surely a lot of interest, and it's likely to be a growing topic as more & more people are getting into greener ways of using technology.

Merve replied on 13/02/2017 22:54

Posted on 13/02/2017 19:19 by Hedgehurst

This health diversion is fascinating - perhaps we should start a dedicated thread... meanwhile, back to non-ehu, I'm truly fascinated and am only just starting out.

Dear Caravan Club, is there a chance we could have a complete section on how to survive off-grid? There's surely a lot of interest, and it's likely to be a growing topic as more & more people are getting into greener ways of using technology.

Posted on 13/02/2017 22:54

Do you see this CC? The new technologies are being appreciated by a wider and wider audience. I have asked fo this-?anyone else supporting this idea of a dedicated thread for non EHU?

DaveCyn replied on 14/02/2017 12:33

Posted on 13/02/2017 22:54 by Merve

Do you see this CC? The new technologies are being appreciated by a wider and wider audience. I have asked fo this-?anyone else supporting this idea of a dedicated thread for non EHU?

Posted on 14/02/2017 12:33

Count me in.

Also been asking for the facility to search for non-EHU sites on the app but so far no acknowledgement.

replied on 14/02/2017 13:28

Posted on 14/02/2017 13:28

No doubt such a filter would be set up to find CLs with EHU rather than without. laughing

I don't use CLs but when I did I looked for CLs in an area. I suspect that if I wanted a CL near Aberdeen for example I would probably get no more than 8 options to consider.

Merve replied on 14/02/2017 15:33

Posted on 14/02/2017 15:33

It's not just about non EHU CLs tho, but anything that can help people who are genuinely interested in the 'art' of non EHU. Yes, sites come into it , but the kit and equipment required to do the job 'properly is also very discussionable! There, Ive made new word! there are many hundreds of caravanners out there who have made the choice and have been happy with it - yours truly for a start. I have to say, I have never seen a post that has said" Well!! Ive tried non EHU, _-bought the kit to do it and Ill never do that again - absolute rubbish!! " but I have seen the opposite reaction many times. There is a sizeable part of the membership who feel that are not really represented- when , for example, did the CC last open a "non EHU" site? And, more importantly, ever encourage non EHU?- I think you'll be struggling to find the answer but we all know the reason. The only articles Ive seen are slightly derogatory and out of touch. I am still waiting for the CC to contact me to do a full , non biased article in the club magazine. I think I might be waiting a long long time don't you? We all have something to offer and a new slant or idea is always welcome and handy. Sometimes, we can tend to think we have the perfect solution and then someone says "I use one of these for that " or " I do it this way" or "have you seen one of these" as they post a picture of a bit of kit you didn't know existed and you realise that we all have something to offer. Long live non EHU and one of the ways that the CC could show that they are inclusive is to at least let us 'weirdos' talk amongst ourselves in a dedicated section.

Hedgehurst replied on 14/02/2017 18:35

Posted on 14/02/2017 15:33 by Merve

It's not just about non EHU CLs tho, but anything that can help people who are genuinely interested in the 'art' of non EHU. Yes, sites come into it , but the kit and equipment required to do the job 'properly is also very discussionable! There, Ive made new word! there are many hundreds of caravanners out there who have made the choice and have been happy with it - yours truly for a start. I have to say, I have never seen a post that has said" Well!! Ive tried non EHU, _-bought the kit to do it and Ill never do that again - absolute rubbish!! " but I have seen the opposite reaction many times. There is a sizeable part of the membership who feel that are not really represented- when , for example, did the CC last open a "non EHU" site? And, more importantly, ever encourage non EHU?- I think you'll be struggling to find the answer but we all know the reason. The only articles Ive seen are slightly derogatory and out of touch. I am still waiting for the CC to contact me to do a full , non biased article in the club magazine. I think I might be waiting a long long time don't you? We all have something to offer and a new slant or idea is always welcome and handy. Sometimes, we can tend to think we have the perfect solution and then someone says "I use one of these for that " or " I do it this way" or "have you seen one of these" as they post a picture of a bit of kit you didn't know existed and you realise that we all have something to offer. Long live non EHU and one of the ways that the CC could show that they are inclusive is to at least let us 'weirdos' talk amongst ourselves in a dedicated section.

Posted on 14/02/2017 18:35

Just so.
I'm far too new here to get involved in CC politics and don't intend to, but I have joined mainly to gain information on caravanning and what we can do to enjoy it.

I'd really hope to find a section in the Advice and Information part of the website with downloadable info, just like the really useful stuff on how to tow, set up, etc. which for beginners like me is superb.

There's a growing acceptance that whatever the fossil fuel companies and their tame politicians (the orange one included) would like us to believe, our only intelligent future is to depend less & less on the extracted stuff, and more and more on what are still seen as alternative ways of producing energy.
Otherwise the planet will probably survive quite well, but Hom Sap will likely not be part of its fauna. (Not sapient enough!)

Meanwhile, more info here on how to have a cheaper greener holiday would be great, and would save us having maybe to migrate elsewhere to find it.

Merve replied on 14/02/2017 21:22

Posted on 14/02/2017 21:22

Hi Richard- let us know what you want know and we will all try our best to answer your question and concerns. if only the IT dept could get the old thread back it would be marvellous as it was full of ideas and experiences. All I can do is hope that the normal contributors to the original thread can buckle down and try to re establish this as informative as its 'lost' father!!! COME ON CC, PULL YOUR FINGER OUT- WE REALLY NEWD THE ORIGINAL THREAD. I CANT BELIEVE THE INCOMPETENCE OF THE IT DEPT! IF IT WAS ANYONE ELSE YOUD BE SACKED!!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook