How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Merve replied on 20/02/2017 19:11

Posted on 20/02/2017 17:24 by Tammygirl

Did our first fill of the new Gaslow system OH fitted at the weekend smile We only have one filling station in Perth that has gas, so no chance to shop around for the best price but OH was very happy with the cost of 57.9p a  litre,( is this a good price?) So £11.50 for first fill, 11kg bottle rather than £24 for 6kg of calor. Savings have started, now to use more CL's and THS's. smile

Posted on 20/02/2017 19:11

Nice to know Tammygirl. Savings will carry on! I just paid 70ppl so not bad. You can get it cheaper tho but as you say, if you ain't got anywhere else you have to be happy with what you have. Isn't it great to know that you have helped to turn off a revenue stream to Calor that is now out of date. Gaslow and Safefill are the future.😀

dwlgll20 replied on 22/02/2017 10:27

Posted on 22/02/2017 10:27

With the new branding of the 'club' to 'Pioneer - At heart, we're explorers forever looking to learn, discover and innovate.' Does that now mean the 'club will actively support the innovation of products such as Safefill, Gaslow etc. The 'club' are in the perfect position being full members of UKLPG (the trade association of the LPG industry). 

Merve replied on 22/02/2017 17:18

Posted on 22/02/2017 17:18

dwlgll20, I may be prejudiced but the folk who have embraced the new technologies and have shown that it is perfectly possible to caravan without an EHU are the "pioneers"- The club will of course,  carry on seeking profit by selling their EHUs to the masses. We will remain on the periphery but that's fine with me! But, we are growing and one day the club will have to take note! As for Safefill, I have said for 3 years that a quality product can't be held down for very long and that Safefill will, by its own merit, rise to a point where it will be the accepted brand for caravanners and many others. The big 2 will fail in killing it off and will have to accept it in the market place and evolve to allow for it which won't be a bad thing. Living on past glories is always dangerous for a company. In the next 6 months, I really believe my words will come true!!! Watch this space. 

Merve replied on 22/02/2017 19:19

Posted on 22/02/2017 10:27 by dwlgll20

With the new branding of the 'club' to 'Pioneer - At heart, we're explorers forever looking to learn, discover and innovate.' Does that now mean the 'club will actively support the innovation of products such as Safefill, Gaslow etc. The 'club' are in the perfect position being full members of UKLPG (the trade association of the LPG industry). 

Posted on 22/02/2017 19:19

Just a reminder to people reading this blog. A major sponsor for the C&MC is Calor . Now call me cynical but, is the C&MC going to upset a major sponsor? Are they seriously going to positively promote Safefill? Not only would they upset and possibly lose Calors sponsorship but they would also lose their place at the Calor TROUGH and not selling Calor cylinders by the thousands throughout the year to the hapless caravanner would mean even more monetary loss. No, it's not going to happen. If the C&MC was serious about doing the best for their "members" as the filling of Safefill/Gaslow is massively cheaper- surely they would start a pilot scheme where they install a bulk tank filling point at some, ( a few) of their key sites to allow the filling of Safefill and Gaslow but of course, they would then have to look around for someone to fill that tank and they might run up against an objection or two from certain quarters?? The C&MC need to evolve in more ways than just changing the name and logo!

Hedgehurst replied on 24/02/2017 22:16

Posted on 24/02/2017 22:16

I've seen both Safefill and now Gaslow mentioned, and having never heard of either until this thread: they appear at first sight to be more or less the same thing - is there much to choose between them?

Merve replied on 25/02/2017 08:33

Posted on 25/02/2017 08:33

Hi Hedge, the only similarity is the fact that they are owner owned and  self filled! As I was at the show again yesterday and I happened to visit the Gaslow stand, I would say that the Gaslow system and a system called 'Gas it' is more suitable to the motorhome although many MHers use Safefill.The cylinders, if Gaslow or Gas it are used, are fixed into the vehicle and are filled from an outside inlet - similar to filling a car. They are steel so you have the weight issue. They are also regulated to the 80% fill etc.

The Safefill on the other hand is a stand alone cylinder which can be taken to the filling point by itself and filled. Again, it is regulated to 80% fill etc. You don't have to take the car and caravan to the garage! The problem is that most garages will accept the Gaslow system as it it a fixed system but of course you have the problem of taking the whole vehicle whether it be MH or car and caravan to the filling point- not great when on holiday! Safefill has faced vicious opposition from the LPG industry since its inception about 5 yrs ago and they have had to fight all the way to bring a truly brilliant product to the market place. They are still here and I know more than most about what is happening in the background to this fight. The fight has occurred of course because of money. Calor and Flogas, being the largest players in the game have obviously tried to put the skids under Safefill because it does away with the need to hire a cylinder from them, therefore, denying them a very easy and valuable revenue stream. I got rid of my Calor cylinders 3 years ago, in fact I tell a lie, I still have an empty Calor light which I can't ever see me using again. Why would I pay Calor £24 for 6kgs of LPG when I can take my own cylinder which is perfectly legal and has met every safety standard imposed on it, and get the same thing for £6? I wouldn't!! The other thing that has retarded Safefills expansion into the market place are the idiots that fill Calor cylinders with adaptors etc - a most dangerous practice as there is no way of telling how full it is and 100% fill is normal -  that has caused incidents on forecourts and of course, Safefill being a stand alone cylinder, has received the same broad brushstroke that has been applied. The more educated outlets however have it right and are benefiting from increased gas sales as a result.

Safefill, because its such a brilliant product, will survive and flourish. There are filling points all over the country but because of "Fake News" being put out about Safefill, there are not as many as there will be when the education finally gets out there which is happening at the moment. When garage groups realise they have been duped into believing Safefill is not legal, or doesn't meet regulations or being straight forward 'leaned on' by their gas supplier, they will (and are) come on board. For me , it was easy. For years , like so many of my friends in the caravanning world, I was paying high prices for LPG from a cartel who were doing very nicely thank you very much. I saw the opportunity to break the stranglehold that Calor had got on me and I did. Liberty and freedom is very important to me and that goes for my purchasing choices too. Safefill has given all of us the opportunity to have choices. Some will never buy a Safefill or Gaslow system simply because they are the folk who stick rigidly to the good old EHU and if you don't use much gas, why would you? However, the non EHUer - a creature who was regarded until fairly recently to be something a little strange, is quids in with either system. Those non EHUers are growing in numbers as people are waking up to the new technologies and realise the potential of them.

So, in conclusion, Gaslow or Gas it for MHs and Safefill for caravans although I was told that more and more are having Gaslow fitted to caravans. Mind you, it was Gaslow that told me that, and my question would be "With a caravan, Why would you? "

ocsid replied on 25/02/2017 09:21

Posted on 25/02/2017 09:21

The above information is incorrect in that just like Safefill, Gaslow also sell a direct filling cylinder you can take to the LPG "pump", as well as their better known fully integrated systems.

http://www.thegaslowcentre.co.uk/gaslow-r67-direct-fill-11kg-cylinder.html

Merve replied on 25/02/2017 10:42

Posted on 25/02/2017 10:42

I apologise. The Gaslow system is USUALLY fixed and that's what they sell the system on- the fact that you can fill up at any LPG outlet! The Safefill is marketed as a stand alone cylinder. Not once did Gaslow ever mention to me taking one of their cylinders by itself and as I kept telling them I was a caravanner, you would think they would. Thank you Ocsid for the clarification there.

Fysherman replied on 25/02/2017 11:11

Posted on 25/02/2017 11:11

I find it useful not to totally get rid of a spare Calor cylinder. If, (not happened yet though) I could not get my Safefill topped up then I can just exchange the empty Calor for a full one as we used to do before enlightenment in the form of Safefill.

By the way for the MH, there is also a fixed system called Alugas that uses lightweight cylinders.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook