How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

ocsid replied on 25/02/2017 12:48

Posted on 25/02/2017 12:48

The twist the refillable cylinder providers all appear to miss is one of flexibility, a built in with removal capability. A Safefill with a "buddy kit" to an external filler at one end, a cylinder snap on at the other.

So, whilst towing you can use all the LPG forecourts that have a viable access for a towed unit or MH, thus not challenging the station owner's rules. But have the flexibility of a portable cylinder you can take at your convenience to an outlet without such restrictions; if indeed you ever need to.

Fysherman replied on 25/02/2017 14:34

Posted on 25/02/2017 14:34

Gaslow make just such a system. Their "portable" cylinder can be used as a fixed installation or as a pick up and carry.

A shame Safefill cannot be used in this way due to its design but the Gaslow portable cylinder is quite a bit heavier than the lightweight Safefill

ocsid replied on 25/02/2017 15:18

Posted on 25/02/2017 14:34 by Fysherman

Gaslow make just such a system. Their "portable" cylinder can be used as a fixed installation or as a pick up and carry.

A shame Safefill cannot be used in this way due to its design but the Gaslow portable cylinder is quite a bit heavier than the lightweight Safefill

Posted on 25/02/2017 15:18

Okay, though I have not seen them offering a filling system with snap on adaptor to exploit the portable's filling port in that way.

In addition, it only has a draw-off port and I can't see using that to fill would be wise even if physically possible because of a check valve?

Technically I can see a filling line with a self-sealing snap on connector fitted to the filling port too challenging or unsafe, as the existing remains full of liquid LPG anyway. It would need a relief or be made in a compliant material to live with temperature changes.

ocsid replied on 25/02/2017 16:01

Posted on 25/02/2017 16:01

"the Gaslow portable cylinder is quite a bit heavier than the lightweight Safefill".

Yes, but it also takes 10% more LPG and the weights tare are 12.5 compared to claimed 5 kgs.

I am envisaging very infrequently lugging it about, only the occasions where I get things really wrong and need to go off site for an emergency refill. Very rare I expect as would retain carrying a 10 Kg Gaslight buffer.

That said I would prefer a Safefill variant as I am into the composite plastic bottles despite the reduced capacity.

Pippah45 replied on 25/02/2017 16:58

Posted on 25/02/2017 16:58

Ocsid Safefill come in 3 sizes - I have a 10kg and they also do 7.5 and 5kg.  So far 10kg has lasted me until I get home to refill but I haven't been on long gas hungry trips I suppose.  

Merve replied on 25/02/2017 19:48

Posted on 25/02/2017 12:48 by ocsid

The twist the refillable cylinder providers all appear to miss is one of flexibility, a built in with removal capability. A Safefill with a "buddy kit" to an external filler at one end, a cylinder snap on at the other.

So, whilst towing you can use all the LPG forecourts that have a viable access for a towed unit or MH, thus not challenging the station owner's rules. But have the flexibility of a portable cylinder you can take at your convenience to an outlet without such restrictions; if indeed you ever need to.

Posted on 25/02/2017 19:48

Unfortunately Ocsid, Safefill has never been able to be filled from an external filling point- it's just not designed that way with only one inlet. Therefore, Safefill, have never supplied a fill hose but some people insist for some reason that they have! Safefills words- not mine. I have all three sizes which I find extremely flexible. If it's a 4 day trip- 5Kg. A week - 8kg - a fortnight or longer- the 10.3 kg and the 5Kg as backup. 

Hedgehurst replied on 25/02/2017 22:22

Posted on 25/02/2017 22:22

Of course, to put cats among pigeons here, we should really be hoping for the next step, as while these systems sound like a great improvement on the Calor gas monopoly, and I can see myself going for Safefill, they still use oil-based gas. I wonder if anyone's developing a bio gas suitable for camping/caravanning use.

?

Merve replied on 25/02/2017 22:48

Posted on 25/02/2017 22:48

Now that I pass to someone else! I'm sure someone on here will know hedge???

Pippah45 replied on 26/02/2017 09:50

Posted on 26/02/2017 09:50

Interesting question Hedgehurst - I wouldn't have thought it important enough to spend money researching that with LPG being a bi-product anyway?  That gel stuff that can run a simple camping stove is interesting though - but that too is a bi-product isn't it? 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook