How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

SteveDSD replied on 06/03/2017 11:10

Posted on 06/03/2017 11:10

When I was young all our caravanning was off-grid. We had gas mantles for light, a gas stove and a little car battery to run the 12v portable black and white 10 inch telly that inevitably ran out after 2 days watching the soaps and would be jury-rigged to charge from the car while we were out to the beach.

The water pump was foot operated and that was the sum total of the "luxuries". No shower, no hot water system, no central heating. 

Certainly the 2 weeks holiday was fun and we didn't have all the electronics we have these days, but if you want a long off-grid holiday all you have to do is not use the modern conveniences of your van.

Weight and balance need to be considered if you're adding more lead-acid batteries, they are very heavy and might push you over your load limit if you're not careful. AGM batteries, although more expensive than flooded lead-acid, do tend to last longer being bounced around in a caravan and can cope with a little more abuse than a basic cheap battery.  

Oh, and as for the OT gas situation with fossil fuel use.  Well, we are making "town gas" from sewage using bacteria.  I'm sure we'll be able to make a renewable version of LPG/propane or alternative if we need to.

Merve replied on 08/03/2017 17:15

Posted on 08/03/2017 17:15

I remember the days of the foot pump and the gas mantle light- I nearly melted with the heat they gave out!! These days we can have our cake AND eat it. Weight is definitely a consideration but with the advent of Lithium Ion batteries, even that is being addressed! However, until I transfer over LI batteries  I will continue to load the car instead of the van to stay within limits. We travel light anyway and have never found a problem with weight. The new technologies give you everything off grid that you didn't have in the 1950s. 

SteveDSD replied on 09/03/2017 08:52

Posted on 09/03/2017 08:52

I have just completed a load/charge test on my LiFePo4 batteries. My compressor fridge would run for about 2 to 3 days on battery alone from the old 200Ah AGM battery bank.

I got a whole week from a single 100Ah LiFePo4 battery, not too bad at all and it wasn't fully discharged either, but based on the wattmeter it was probably around 20% which is about as low as you want to take them for longevity. It's now charging nicely off the solar.

So yes, we're progressing with lighter batteries with more capacity which is very useful if you have your central heating on, and your alarm, and the extraction hood on the cooker etc.

I suppose if you wanted more lead acid batteries you could put them in a storage box and keep them in the car when travelling to keep the van weight down. 

hitchglitch replied on 10/03/2017 19:26

Posted on 10/03/2017 19:26

We were in New Zealand in February touring by car and I couldn't help but notice that every garage seemed to have LPG gas and people were bringing their empty BBQ cylinders in and refilling them. I guess there is a bigger market there as BBQ is more  popular.

SteveDSD replied on 11/03/2017 09:54

Posted on 10/03/2017 19:26 by hitchglitch

We were in New Zealand in February touring by car and I couldn't help but notice that every garage seemed to have LPG gas and people were bringing their empty BBQ cylinders in and refilling them. I guess there is a bigger market there as BBQ is more  popular.

Posted on 11/03/2017 09:54

I was watching Andrew Ditton on YouTube.  He has the refillable cylinder in his AirStream and he was commenting that he is seeing more and more of the petrol stations removing LPG from the forecourt.

He's recommending that people get a backup standard Calor cylinder just in case. 

I suppose with more efficient petrol engines the automotive need isn't as much as it once was and it's not economically viable to keep the lpg tanks and pumps. 

Vicmallows replied on 11/03/2017 21:47

Posted on 11/03/2017 21:47

Present price of exchange REPSOL standard 12.5kg butane cylinder in Spain is eu13.5 .....making it about £0.47 /litre. (Cheaper than LPG at a filling station!)

peedee replied on 12/03/2017 07:07

Posted on 12/03/2017 07:07

Is it  normaly cheaper or is it just the bottle company hasn't caught up with current costs? The cheapest I saw LPG at the pumps in Spain recently was 64 cents p.l. Some were pricing it at 88 cents p.l.!

peedee

replied on 12/03/2017 07:25

Posted on 12/03/2017 07:25

I was watching Andrew Ditton on YouTube. He has the refillable cylinder in his AirStream and he was commenting that he is seeing more and more of the petrol stations removing LPG from the forecourt.

Now you mention it I have not noticed the LPG being used at our local garage of late.

Vicmallows replied on 12/03/2017 18:38

Posted on 12/03/2017 07:07 by peedee

Is it  normaly cheaper or is it just the bottle company hasn't caught up with current costs? The cheapest I saw LPG at the pumps in Spain recently was 64 cents p.l. Some were pricing it at 88 cents p.l.!

peedee

Posted on 12/03/2017 18:38

As I understand it, the retail price of gas in the ubiquitous 11/12.5kg steel cylinders (propane/butane) used by most households is regulated by the State. The price actually increased to e13.50 in January while we were out there and was reported in the local Press. Prices for other cylinders (such as 'light' versions) don't seem to be regulated. (Shades of Calor Lite!)

The difference in price to LPG at filling stations may be due to VAT/Duty?. (It's rather amusing to think of locals decanting from cylinders INTO their LPG cars!  .... rather like red diesel in the UK.)

By my calculations, and assuming 80% efficiency, heating by gas in Spain works out at around 10p /kWH.   Typically sites charge 30c /kWH for metered electricity, although this option is usually only available if you are staying at least 30 days.

bobpjones replied on 04/04/2017 15:16

Posted on 17/01/2017 19:41 by Merve

Well done wye- it's great to know that others have found that spending on equipment and modern tech is not necessarily a way of just spending money- do it right and the money comes back to you in savings- a win win situation if ever there was one! 

Pippah- how are you- hard to believe that we are nearly at the next show as we met and talked in the autumn. How are the owls? Equipment I have is 135w SP ( always been fine but you know me- always wanting something bigger- now I would go for 200w) I added a second 110ah battery and a later a 2000w pure sine wave inverter from Falcon. This allows me to use microwave, toaster, blender and vacuum. All of them are not used for long and that is free power- why use gas when the sun provides the power. (even if it is Safefill gas at 25% of the price of swapped cylinders!!) The inverter is controlled by an illuminated switch at the end of the bed box so we don't have to lift the bed up - it's easy to switch on when needed and easy to kill when not. (An inverter continues to draw power when switched on). The system is protected by a 100amp fuse. What would I like in the future? Two Li ion Batteries which weigh half of what I have now and they hold more charge and of course the 200w SP. A compressor fridge which uses very little leccy- mmm - I'll have to have a word with the boss! 

Posted on 04/04/2017 15:16

I hope that's a typo error "100 amp fuse", if not what with Li-Ion batteries I think you may need a very big fire extinguisher. Better still hitch up a Fire Tender to your tow-barcool

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook