How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

MJ730 replied on 06/04/2017 17:17

Posted on 06/04/2017 17:17

For those that are interested Safefill now have a filling adapter for use at those garages with shields on the pump.Cost is £18.00 including delivery,just ordered mine.

Mike

Merve replied on 07/04/2017 21:17

Posted on 06/04/2017 17:17 by MJ730

For those that are interested Safefill now have a filling adapter for use at those garages with shields on the pump.Cost is £18.00 including delivery,just ordered mine.

Mike

Posted on 07/04/2017 21:17

Thanks Mike. I'm sure folk will find that handy - including me! 

Merve replied on 07/04/2017 21:24

Posted on 04/04/2017 15:16 by bobpjones

I hope that's a typo error "100 amp fuse", if not what with Li-Ion batteries I think you may need a very big fire extinguisher. Better still hitch up a Fire Tender to your tow-barcool

Posted on 07/04/2017 21:24

No Li ion yet bob. Still saving! LOL. Will get it expertly fitted and protected when I do. 

Merve replied on 09/04/2017 11:27

Posted on 09/04/2017 11:27

This may not save money but it'll certainly save effort- a bit anyway. Out on site at the moment enjoying some fabulous weather for April- surely it normally pours down around Easter?? Anyway, I've just found a method of not worrying about whether the waste master is full! The guy on the next pitch has a novel method of disposing of his grey water! Using an ordinary clip top food box, some piping, a 12v bilge pump and a couple of connections, his waste water enters the box and is immediately pumped out into the hedge or in this case a ditch which is nearby through some caravan type reinforced flexible hose. . This method, although quite 'natty' can't be used everywhere as some pitches are not along the edge of a site but this is one such case where it is. As we are CL lovers and go to these types of sites, I thought it may be of interest. 

young thomas replied on 09/04/2017 18:49

Posted on 09/04/2017 18:49

why is the box/pump necessary, Merve?

we often run a flexible pipe into a hedgerow but dont require any specific electrical gubbins, just gravity.

perhaps if uphill, i can see a need, but in general we dont need it.

Merve replied on 09/04/2017 20:16

Posted on 09/04/2017 20:16

I guess you have hit the nail on the head BB. Uphill you would need it and I guess you can't always be sure you'll be going downhill- certainly gets rid of the waste water quickly. 

Merve replied on 17/04/2017 19:17

Posted on 17/04/2017 19:17

It looks like 2017 will be the year I replace my Elecsol batteries bought in 2013 and maintained for 4 years by my Solar Panel. Unfortunately for me, I bought my Batteries just as Elecsol went bust- not surprising really as I am told by others that the guy that ran it was the rudest and most obnoxious of human beings! Towards the end , his batteries resembled starter batteries rather than Leisure Batteries.   That said, the batteries are still holding a reasonable charge but I can tell that they are getting 'tired' and the stored electricity is nothing like it used to be and is just beginning to affect the efficiency of my non EHU operations! Banner Bulls are very much on the cards at the moment although Li Ion are a thought. I hope I'll get through this year and change them in the Autumn. 

young thomas replied on 17/04/2017 19:37

Posted on 17/04/2017 19:37

Merve, i have a pair of 95ah Energy Bulls and, as they are AGM type, i asked a question on MMM (of a regular technical battery expert) regarding the charging regime....my charger has two settings of GEL or LEAD ACID.

the answer was 'neither' but GEL was better (less bad), but for a MHer, this charging regime would also have to charge the vehicle battery which is Lead Acid...so a conflict there...

his comments werent particularly complimentary re Banner Energy Bulls, and their failure rate and possible effect on the charger itself.

however, my own experience is that they do the job i want, allowing is to camp off grid for many days at a time..

ill keep you posted if my opinion changes, but i suggest you try and catch up on a bit on anything you can find on AGM. 

incidently, the 'expert' did have a recommendation....Varta or Bosch wets.

when i change them, perhaps ill go fully wet Varta or similar...

Merve replied on 19/04/2017 21:26

Posted on 19/04/2017 21:26

Thanks BB for that. I seem to remember a survey where a range of popular batteries were cut open and the only one out of the ten that stood the tests of a proper leisure deep cycle battery was the Banners! In fact, thinking about it I have that survey somewhere as I picked a copy up from the show in Feb. From what I read about Banner from other members on other threads, they seem to have a very good write up.I live and learn mate, live and learn.😂😂

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook