How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Pippah45 replied on 09/02/2017 21:40

Posted on 09/02/2017 17:20 by Merve

I only heat food in the MW, not cook it, and my OH has not noticed me glowing in the dark yet! LOL I steam my veg etc as its not only cheaper on gas (SAFEFILL) as you are only using one ring but it also stops the veg being contaminated by the water you use. They are cooked in steam or to put it another way - steam is as clean as distilled water. My water distiller arrived today from Amazon (ViaFosa). Now that IS something I'm going to miss whilst away totally clean water- unless I'm on EHU..........yeah, right!

Posted on 09/02/2017 21:40

I hate to disillusion you Merve but the steam from tap water carries pollutants too. (My molecular biologist friend warned of the toxins coming off the boiled egg water!)  I steam my veg too but with filtered water that has a lot of impurities taken out.  Do you mean to say you aren't going to be able to run the distiller on your inverter?  I thought those things on Amazon looked as though there was quite small draw - (mind you the noise might not be welcome in the caravan).  I go with either filtered or bottled in the caravan for drinking and cooking. 

SteveDSD replied on 10/02/2017 18:54

Posted on 09/02/2017 17:28 by Merve

Well, according to my electrician/electronics engineer, although good, Li ion is still being perfected!! Apparently, lead acid are far more robust for the large draws required and the last 3 years has proved that to me at least. Buying Li Ion batteries can be quite confusing as their are different grades apparently. I'll hold back on those for a bit and see what happens. Had a really good chat to him about USBs and chargers etc - its more complicated than you think!

Posted on 10/02/2017 18:54

As a computer hardware and electrical engineer myself I consider LiFePo4 batteries to be a very good fit for a leisure battery, at least for me. The batteries I'm using have integrated battery management systems and that is where the maximum draw rate comes from. 

A friend has a custom made battery pack that can run his air conditioning as well as his full computer setup. He's been running it for over 4 years and has lost only 3% of the capacity.  His previous lead acid bank was well maintained but could not run his air conditioning and  failed after 3 years. Admittedly he's in a big bus conversion and has space for the inverters and batteries, but still, it shows that LiFePo4 is a good fit. 

SteveDSD replied on 10/02/2017 18:59

Posted on 09/02/2017 18:48 by cyberyacht

There's all sorts of development underway in fuel cell technology. We aren't quite there yet though.

Posted on 10/02/2017 18:59

Well, they were using pretty much the same as modern fuel cells on the Apollo moon missions, but yes the practical fuel cell for the public has lots of issues, not least of all if it's a hydrogen fuel cell where the containment of a highly reactive gas needs to be considered. 

Also, hydrogen mostly comes from natural gas reforming, a severely costly and wasteful technology, or electrolysis which is also very costly and energy wasteful. 

Merve replied on 12/02/2017 12:01

Posted on 09/02/2017 21:40 by Pippah45

I hate to disillusion you Merve but the steam from tap water carries pollutants too. (My molecular biologist friend warned of the toxins coming off the boiled egg water!)  I steam my veg too but with filtered water that has a lot of impurities taken out.  Do you mean to say you aren't going to be able to run the distiller on your inverter?  I thought those things on Amazon looked as though there was quite small draw - (mind you the noise might not be welcome in the caravan).  I go with either filtered or bottled in the caravan for drinking and cooking. 

Posted on 12/02/2017 12:01

Hi pippah , believe me, I'm not disillusioned! We have a very polluted world and I am trying to protect myself from as many of the pollutants as I can. No, we wont be able to do in on our breaks- this draws 750w. Filtered water. Will be the best we can do on site but better that than nothing. I will use my own high quality filter rather than buy bottled water which has been proven to be 25% TAP WATER! Most of it is acidic which is a big no no. Information can be gathered from YouTube regarding this from a guy who has researched it - his name is Webber (everything good comes from Webber) Acidic water makes your body acidic- cancer thrives in an acidic body - it cant survive, apparently starving to death, in a Alkaline body. Water is so important above and beyond the obvious.

Johnny57 replied on 12/02/2017 17:10

Posted on 05/02/2017 16:46 by Merve

Hi John, Absolutely you can. What a great idea regarding the stand alone SP unit- has anyone been converted? It's amazing how many folk haven't thought about it and when they come across it as they have with me, they take note- particularly when they find out how much money can be shaved off Caravan costs. - an idea - you could ring Safefill and ask Neil or John for some handouts explaining the Safefill cylinder and how safe it is. There are still many caravanners and motorhomers who don't know about them or even their existence. I will visit your website and have a look. Thanks for the contact. The very best for the future.  

Just to put folk right on a point. It was not me who started the original thread- I can't remember who it was but it was a master stroke. I took to this thread like a duck to water We need a thread like this for the folk who think outside the box! 

Posted on 12/02/2017 17:10

Hi Merve
Just to let you know I have now updated my website with your article and a small bit about Safefill Link to page . If you would like your full name used against your article let me know by email or something.
Thanks again for your help John

SteveDSD replied on 13/02/2017 08:47

Posted on 12/02/2017 12:01 by Merve

Hi pippah , believe me, I'm not disillusioned! We have a very polluted world and I am trying to protect myself from as many of the pollutants as I can. No, we wont be able to do in on our breaks- this draws 750w. Filtered water. Will be the best we can do on site but better that than nothing. I will use my own high quality filter rather than buy bottled water which has been proven to be 25% TAP WATER! Most of it is acidic which is a big no no. Information can be gathered from YouTube regarding this from a guy who has researched it - his name is Webber (everything good comes from Webber) Acidic water makes your body acidic- cancer thrives in an acidic body - it cant survive, apparently starving to death, in a Alkaline body. Water is so important above and beyond the obvious.

Posted on 13/02/2017 08:47

Hi Merve, I hate to be the bringer of disagreement but "someone on YouTube did research" does not bode well for credibility of the results.

Our bodies have evolved over many millions of years to handle most things in our environment and have excellent ways of disposing of many toxins we might consume .

Your body doesn't become acidic because the water you drink might be acidic otherwise we'd be absorbing the hydrochloric acid from our stomachs and sweating acid. What about fruit and meat and all the other things we might eat that contain acid/alkaline in various strengths?

I'm afraid there's a lot of mumbo jumbo about all these things on the internet with so-called "research" that has not been peer reviewed or verified scientifically.  

Our tap water is some of the safest in the world, tested multiple times daily for any contaminants or bacteria/viruses etc.

Obviously we all have our own ideas and actions, but spending large amounts of money to filter and distill water that is already safe to drink is a bit of a waste. Did you know that distilling water can actually concentrate any volatile organic compounds in the distilled water as they have a lower boiling point than water? That's something we were taught and demonstrated in science class at school. 

replied on 13/02/2017 08:54

Posted on 13/02/2017 08:54

It is truly amazing that, as the ages pass, man in the UK, despite all the  multitude of pollutants, has continued to live longer and healthier century upon century. Ain't nature wonderful.

replied on 13/02/2017 09:26

Posted on 13/02/2017 09:26

I blame Fred

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook