How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Merve replied on 06/02/2017 11:16

Posted on 06/02/2017 11:16

Safefill, like everything else, is a choice. Many factors play a part in that choice. If those factors don't add up, then Safefill is not for you. However, many thousands of Safefill cylinders are circulating in this country and abroad so I assume that people made an informed purchasing decision and are happy with them. I know they are happy with them- thrilled with them! As for as not having a refill facility near to you, that would be one of the factors that you have to take into account. However, it is exactly the same scenario as if you hadn't got, let's say a Waitrose store nearby. You would have to travel to where there was a Waitrose if that is what you wanted.

Safefill is no different. Certainly, Safefill is not getting more difficult to fill. More garages are coming on board and will continue to do so. "Why is it taking Safefill so long to become established?" You may ask.? The answer is simple. For 50 or for how ever many years, the system worked in this country by two or three large companies has been for us to hire heavy steel cylinders which are filled by them and for which they determine the price. It doesn't take an Einstein to work out that the change that Safefill has brought to the LPG market is nothing short of MASSIVE! It's going to take some time for the industry to accept it but accept they will have to. I have said before and I'll say again, there will come a tipping point and I don't think that is too far away, where more garage groups will come on board and welcome Safefill, and areas like Hampshire and the like, who are, we are told, bereft of filling facilities will start to see the benefits. Had Safefill and the like not come along we still would be straight jacketed into a 'monopoly'. Safefill gives all of us a choice. I now have money in my pocket that would not have been there had it not been for Safefill - THANK YOU SAFEFILL!!

Yes, it's not always easy to fill Safefill cylinders in an area, that's why I plan and if I can't fill in the area or en route I go with full cylinders but to be honest, I've never really had a problem in getting gas.

Personally, I would have bought a Safefill cylinder no matter what. Why? - because it takes the power that Calor had and returns it to me- the little guy!

Fysherman replied on 06/02/2017 13:35

Posted on 06/02/2017 13:35

Owning and using a Safefill is really not difficult.

Simply carry a Safefill and an empty Calor/Camping gas cylinder then if you really cannot find any where to fill up the Safefill (come on chaps and chappesses, use a bit of nous and/or a bit of charm and you can fill them anywhere that sells autogas) then you can swap out the empty Calor/Camping for a full one if all else fails as per pre Safefill standard practice.

Never had to do this yet, not even overseas.

Merve replied on 06/02/2017 14:14

Posted on 06/02/2017 14:14

You're right Fysh- it's not difficult. Let's get those old, rusty heavy cylinders turned into plough shears.......or BBQs? 

Pippah45 replied on 06/02/2017 19:36

Posted on 06/02/2017 19:36

Here Here Merve - but just don't do what my idiot builder did and thought a calor gas was empty and started cutting it to make a BBQ - how he escaped serious injury I don't know! 

Merve replied on 07/02/2017 15:40

Posted on 06/02/2017 19:36 by Pippah45

Here Here Merve - but just don't do what my idiot builder did and thought a calor gas was empty and started cutting it to make a BBQ - how he escaped serious injury I don't know! 

Posted on 07/02/2017 15:40

Didn't he knock the valve out first? There are videos on YouTube showing how to do it I believe - not that I look at things like that..... cough .... cough. 😝😇

Pippah45 replied on 08/02/2017 09:41

Posted on 08/02/2017 09:41

No he didn't - he came back from lunch break absolutely stinking of gas - so I asked - his side kick was still white with the terrors! 

Merve I sent you a query via email - did you get it - I know you don't check that one all that often. 

Merve replied on 08/02/2017 09:59

Posted on 08/02/2017 09:41 by Pippah45

No he didn't - he came back from lunch break absolutely stinking of gas - so I asked - his side kick was still white with the terrors! 

Merve I sent you a query via email - did you get it - I know you don't check that one all that often. 

Posted on 08/02/2017 09:59

Good job no one was smoking eh? Human torch comes to mind!! 

SteveDSD replied on 08/02/2017 12:04

Posted on 08/02/2017 12:04

I've just upgraded my batteries with 200Ah of lithium iron phosphate (LiFePo4) which are charged by my 400 watts of roof solar, the engine alternator via a charge controller or a 240Volt charger when on EHU.

They're a 3rd of the weight of the two lead acid batteries they replaced and besides being over 3 times the cost they have extremely long lifespans and higher useful capacity (around 170 useful Ah as opposed to the 90 or so from my previous "200 Ah" lead acid battery bank).

I do a lot of camping without EHU so it's worth the investment for me. I tend to be the go-to guy for internet access with the people I go camping with and so running a router etc. 24 hours a day takes a little bit of power. My van is all 12volt including the compressor fridge, laptop, phone charger etc. I don't have an inverter.

I have a microwave and 500 watt fan heater for when I'm on EHU, but I don't use them when not connected to mains. I suppose I could if I got an inverter, but I can get away with my single ring gas stove for the stuff I eat hot.

Merve replied on 08/02/2017 13:47

Posted on 08/02/2017 13:47

ATV- I intend to upgrade at the show to lithium ion batteries and I am looking at either adding solar or going to a 200w panel. I am aware that Lith ion batteries hold much more charge than the lead acid batteries- the old technology! Your compressor fridge interests me as it's a field I have been researching. What does it take in watts? So glad you you have posted- here's a guy who is running a router 24/7, running a fridge and other bits and pieces. With what you have ATV, an inverter would be so useful- you'd never have to hook up- 400watts- that's a lot of watts- is that 2x 200w panels? Not sure I would want to have just one gas ring!! Good on ya!! 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook