How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Merve replied on 31/01/2017 20:55

Posted on 31/01/2017 11:44 by Fysherman

B2. You don't even need a TV if you have a laptop. Simply buy a TV USB plug in tuner (mine happens to be "Total Media" but there are loads for about £25) Then a 12v lead from Amazon for your laptop and just plug it into the 12v socket in your caravan and plug in the aerial into the USB tuner and watch telly with VERY little current draw all day if you want to.

Merve. Wasting your time with the CC. They are not interested as it would take potential customers for their overpriced sites away. Try the other club as they are far more focused upon independent (off grid)campers and caravanners with their support of low cost off gridTemp Holiday Sites. Everybody has a SP on these sites.

Might just see you on that CL near BB Merve in July. We have unfinished sea Fyshing business. All the best mate. Fysh

Posted on 31/01/2017 20:55

That would be great Fysh! Yes we do have unfinished business ! I hadn't forgotten. Always willing to be taught by a master!  Yes, I think you might be right mate- a waste of time but I have proved ( as though I needed it proved) that the CC is nothing more than a hard nosed business with a thin veneer of grace and tranquility. I would just rather they be honest and say ' Get lost!' Great comments about TV mate- it hadn't occurred to me but we do watch catch up on our pads. - thanks for the tips. I'm sure Mr B2 will be highly relieved knowing he can watch wall to wall box!😂😂😂.

Merve replied on 03/02/2017 19:07

Posted on 03/02/2017 19:07

Just the scribblings of a non EHUer - I wonder sometimes whether the Caravan Club, (AKA Big Business) getting hold of a piece of land that is in a particularly beautiful place, - and I have a place in mind as I write this, - is advantageous for the environment and to the caravanners that have been going to that area for years. I would argue not - particularly for the second item! The first thing they will do is get the diggers in and start mashing up the site so that they can get the maximum amount of pitches in the area they have bought, building toilet blocks, reception areas and play areas - all in an area that for years had been untouched by machinery, noise pollution or overly populated by caravans through the summer months (or even winter months). The site will eventually return to something resembling a green area but having been totally transformed from what it was. Non EHU caravanning just isn't on their agenda because they want to charge the big bucks for you to stay there. They can, of course, rest in the knowledge that there is no shortage of caravanners that want to stay on such a site and will pay handsomely to do so. Views cost right? And yet, non EHU caravanners are the real deal when it comes to looking after the environment in that they don't need trenches dug for cables to be laid so that they can use electricity from the grid. They don't need warm and lit wash facilities as they have everything on their vans already. Thgey don't need perfectly flat hard pitches,They are not attracted like so many moths to the bright, over crowded lights of the CC site. They prefer the quiet, uncluttered and tranquil beauty of a location for its natural beauty, dignity and peace, not for the fact that there is a shop or WIfi on site. When they leave the site, it is exactly as nature sculpted it and will still be like that when they return. Unfortunately, money seems to be the only thing that talks these days and so sites in AONB will continue to be snaffled by businesses like the CC. The only thing one can say about it is its better than having a housing estate built there. That may be so, but, even with the stewardship of the land, however careful, by an entity which is only concerned about what that land can produce on the bottom line of the yearly accounts, then surely, there is something far more precious that has been lost. Where before there was a completely natural site of grass, rocks, trees, fallen wood for the odd campfire etc, there is now numerous numbered pegs, signs by the score, lighting bollards, extra buildings, more tarmac and the 'taming' of the surroundings by man made intrusion, not to mention the blight of numerous white boxes where once there was hardly anything to disturb the eye.

I wonder how many caravanners would be caravanners if it were not for the 'extras' that these sites provide? On a non EHU site, a grass pitch (which I prefer) water and disposal is all we require for a holiday. Is the walk to the single tap on site to fill the aquaroll really to be seen as a chore or an opportunity to strike up a conversation with a fellow camper wanting water for his pitch? I rather think the second. Is the opportunity lost with fully serviced pitches? Have we not come almost full circle with the modern caravan where we want to go into the great outdoors but not if it means the slightest inconvenience like filling the aquaroll, if indeed, thats what it is? The modern caravan or Motorhome is indeed something of a technological miracle on wheels, so much so, I feel it has 'lost something' - something that was quintessentially 'caravan' - to visiting the great outdoors and brushing up against it. You against the elements as it were. Cosseted in our centrally heated vans, with our iPads, laptops, televisions and any number of modern appliances tends I feel, to miss the point of the Great Outdoors. I am of course not suggesting that we return to horse drawn vans and boiling water on an outside fire, no of course not, progress has been made and continues to be made and that is a good thing but perhaps our forbears had something we haven't got in our caravanning - the true spirit of our craft! I feel that since going non EHU, I have rediscovered a little of what was lost. That little challenge of getting it right or suffer. Not being reliant on anyone except for the 3 essentials on site, ie Pitch, water and waste. Whatever it is, it's something that grips me and keeps me coming back for more!! Tin hat on!!

DaveandVicki replied on 03/02/2017 20:10

Posted on 03/02/2017 20:10

Merve

Can I ask you a question, and please don't take it as an attack on your way of caravanning, it is a serious question.....

...you have your roof mounted SP, 2x 110amh batteries and your inverter. What does that little lot weigh ?

You see, I already have to carry 2 wheelchairs and a ramp to get into/out of the caravan I worry about the weight of my van if I add a SP and extra battery.

I think I may not be alone in this respect. I know some new vans have SP's fitted as standard these days, but assumed they made weight savings elsewhere.

Merve replied on 03/02/2017 20:51

Posted on 03/02/2017 20:51

DaveandVicki there is always an exception to the rule as they say. I see your dilemma mate and you have my concern. I'm not exactly sure what it weighs but i would say the kit is about 20-25kilos. Now, when i travel i tend to load as much as i can in the tow car- a 21 year old 3lt Toyota Surf. The caravan travels light. We sort the caravan out when we arrive on site. It takes longer but allows us to stay within legal requirements. I am sure that I read somewhere that manufacturers can upgrade weight if required. In this country we tend to be law abiding which is something that the continentals, in this field at least, don't worry about so much. The stuff they carry to holiday is amazing!! One bloke had his chest freezer with him - I kid you not. I would make enquiries with your caravan manufacturer- you may be pleasantly surprised and thanks for your question- I appreciate it- its great to have a talking point! I know this isn't a one size fits all- how could it be? I just try to promote thought.   I have no intention of offending or insulting anyone - just to promote a conversation on non EHU and surrounding items. Thank you.

Boff replied on 04/02/2017 10:24

Posted on 04/02/2017 10:24

I know people who caravan w/o ehu with various disabilities and there are plenty of able bodied people who couldn't possibly go without ehu because they NEED to use a hairdryer or whatever. So I believe it comes down to personal circumstances.
The weight aspect is a valid question. TBH weight is always an issue with caravans because of the inadequate payload specified by manufacturers. The weight limit is driven largely by two factors. Firstly the marketing department wants to show the caravan is relatively light weight so put a low limit on it knowing people will overload it and never know I probably fall into that category. The second factor is the axle maximum weight ALko specify axles in I think 50kg increments and it is this weight that represents the true maximum weight. If it is rated at 1500kg then that is the maximum the mptlm could be. However at the construction stage I don't think there would be any technical reason why for example a 1700kg axle was fitted instead of the standard 1500kg one, obviously tyres might have to be changed to the correct load index. It might also be possible to argue that this is a specific adaption and alter the vat situation.

I personally don't have a big inverter like Merve but I do have an extra battery and a 150W solar panel. The battery weighs about 25kg and the SP isn't light weight. I think if you wanted to dip your toe in the water for a weekend so to speak you probably don't need anything special except for a battery in good condition and a full gas bottle. The easy way to prove me right or wrong is simply next time you go away in the caravan simply don't plug in. If you have a problem you can always plug in. So it's a safety net.

DaveandVicki replied on 04/02/2017 13:40

Posted on 04/02/2017 13:40

" I think if you wanted to dip your toe in the water for a weekend so to speak you probably don't need anything special except for a battery in good condition and a full gas bottle. The easy way to prove me right or wrong is simply next time you go away in the caravan simply don't plug in. If you have a problem you can always plug in. So it's a safety net."

Thanks Boff.

This was exactly my way of thinking but we need to get a bigger battery first, we only have an 85amh one at the moment. we already run most things off gas while on CL's anyway.

Merve replied on 04/02/2017 16:04

Posted on 04/02/2017 16:04

Yes, I agree. Two or three days is perfectly possible without any additional equipment. Before America became embroiled in the various wars we have seen over the last 25 yrs, we used to go to Mildenhall to the air show which was one of the best around. We would set up up the caravan on the Thursday at Round Plantation, arrive with the kids after they finished school on the Friday and have a wonderful weekend at the show returning on the Monday. Two days was fine but the system then was either a green LED or if the power was failing- a red LED. By the Sunday night the red LED would  invariably be on. We had to plug the car up to do anything after that.  Thinking about it, in those days, the battery would not have been top quality and probably not in the best of condition. We live and learn! God, I love my Solar Panel!! There's no doubt that the bigger the battery, the longer you can go for, but, it stands to reason and as has been said, it needs to be in tip top condition and holding a full charge. 

trellis replied on 04/02/2017 18:48

Posted on 04/02/2017 18:48

Merve,I have just read this post in its entirety ,one I shall keep a close eye on for future reference when I take the non leccy step .You my friend are one passionate believer who could no doubt sell sand to the Arabs . Look forward to stalking you.smilesmile

Hedgehurst replied on 04/02/2017 18:51

Posted on 04/02/2017 18:51

Merve, we're complete caravan virgins, yet to actually take it on the road, but after years of tent camping with no equipment that would plug into an EHU anyway, I do find your information inspiring. We don't want to get into multi-gizmo caravanning, and as long as our first few trips go well I can see us getting addicted, when a move towards more solar power seems truly attractive!
Thanks for all this... when do you publish the book? smile

Richard

Merve replied on 04/02/2017 20:14

Posted on 04/02/2017 20:14

That's something to think about Hedgehurst! I hope you have a great caravanning life. You'll love it I'm sure - you sound as though you are from the right stock!! Do be independent. You don't need electricity created but burning fossil fuels. You can make your own, silent, clean electricity. Think outside the CC box. Folk on here have taken the path to power independence and to a man, (and woman) they are sold on it. Wye, Tirrill, Bolero Boy, Boff! Pippah etc. Take a look at Safefill as well. That is just as important to reducing costs as the mighty SP is. I said a couple of years back that I couldn't see me ever going back to the straight jacket of EHU. Now I know I never will go back to it. Our holidays since I made that decision have been better because of my newly found independence- and less stressed. The costs have been slashed and I am a happy bunny. Let me give you an example. A couple or three years ago we went on our first non EHU trip to North Devon. We went to Leddon Farm, Welcome- site 444 in the book, now, thats just up the road from Trewethett Farm. Without doubt, a beautiful site. We went at peak time so for us to stay at Trewethett would have been at today's prices £26 per night because as I said - views cost right? We had wonderful views too, not directly from the site but with a small walk we were on the coastal path. Now, 14 x 26 = £364 at Trewethett - I note in the book that at Leddon Farm, it's STILL the price I paid - £5 a night and we had everything we wanted powerwise and it was a spacious site with your next door neighbour well away from you. My bill £70. A £294 saving on fees! A third of the installation costs back in my pocket from one holiday, or, if an EHU CL at £14 a night thats still £126 saved! So what was the difference between someone staying at Trewethett and us? - A view - and not from anything like all the vans there. Can you live on a view or would you prefer to have another £294 to spend on holiday? I know what I prefer. I find my own views and my own tranquility and they are ever changing. I hope I have given you and others the encouragement to look seriously at the new technologies and get the most out of them. Thanks for your post.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook