How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Merve replied on 04/02/2017 20:14

Posted on 04/02/2017 20:14

That's something to think about Hedgehurst! I hope you have a great caravanning life. You'll love it I'm sure - you sound as though you are from the right stock!! Do be independent. You don't need electricity created but burning fossil fuels. You can make your own, silent, clean electricity. Think outside the CC box. Folk on here have taken the path to power independence and to a man, (and woman) they are sold on it. Wye, Tirrill, Boff! Pippah etc. Take a look at Safefill as well. That is just as important to reducing costs as the mighty SP is. I said a couple of years back that I couldn't see me ever going back to the straight jacket of EHU. Now I know I never will go back to it. Our holidays since I made that decision have been better because of my newly found independence- and less stressed. The costs have been slashed and I am a happy bunny. Let me give you an example. A couple or three years ago we went on our first non EHU trip to North Devon. We went to Leddon Farm, Welcome- site 444 in the book, now, thats just up the road from Trewethett Farm. Without doubt, a beautiful site. We went at peak time so for us to stay at Trewethett would have been at today's prices £26 per night because as I said - views cost right? We had wonderful views to, not directly from the site but with a small walk we were on the coastal path. Now, 14 x 26 = £364 at Trewethett - I note in the book that at Leddon Farm, it's STILL the price I paid - £5 a night and we had everything we wanted powerwise and it was a spacious site with your next door neighbour well away from you. My bill £70. A £294 saving on fees! So what was the difference between someone staying at Trewethett and us? - A view - and not from anything like all the vans there. Can you live on a view or would you prefer to have another £294 to spend on holiday? I know what I prefer. I find my own views and my own tranquility and they are ever changing. I hope I have given you and others the encouragement to look seriously at the new technologies and get the most out of them. Thanks for your post.

Merve replied on 04/02/2017 20:14

Posted on 04/02/2017 20:14

That's something to think about Hedgehurst! I hope you have a great caravanning life. You'll love it I'm sure - you sound as though you are from the right stock!! Do be independent. You don't need electricity created but burning fossil fuels. You can make your own, silent, clean electricity. Think outside the CC box. Folk on here have taken the path to power independence and to a man, (and woman) they are sold on it. Wye, Tirrill, Boff! Pippah etc. Take a look at Safefill as well. That is just as important to reducing costs as the mighty SP is. I said a couple of years back that I couldn't see me ever going back to the straight jacket of EHU. Now I know I never will go back to it. Our holidays since I made that decision have been better because of my newly found independence- and less stressed. The costs have been slashed and I am a happy bunny. Let me give you an example. A couple or three years ago we went on our first non EHU trip to North Devon. We went to Leddon Farm, Welcome- site 444 in the book, now, thats just up the road from Trewethett Farm. Without doubt, a beautiful site. We went at peak time so for us to stay at Trewethett would have been at today's prices £26 per night because as I said - views cost right? We had wonderful views to, not directly from the site but with a small walk we were on the coastal path. Now, 14 x 26 = £364 at Trewethett - I note in the book that at Leddon Farm, it's STILL the price I paid - £5 a night and we had everything we wanted powerwise and it was a spacious site with your next door neighbour well away from you. My bill £70. A £294 saving on fees! So what was the difference between someone staying at Trewethett and us? - A view - and not from anything like all the vans there. Can you live on a view or would you prefer to have another £294 to spend on holiday? I know what I prefer. I find my own views and my own tranquility and they are ever changing. I hope I have given you and others the encouragement to look seriously at the new technologies and get the most out of them. Thanks for your post.

Merve replied on 04/02/2017 20:28

Posted on 04/02/2017 18:48 by trellis

Merve,I have just read this post in its entirety ,one I shall keep a close eye on for future reference when I take the non leccy step .You my friend are one passionate believer who could no doubt sell sand to the Arabs . Look forward to stalking you.smilesmile

Posted on 04/02/2017 20:28

Thanks for your comments Trellis. Yes, I am passionate about my non EHU caravanning. - no doubt to the annoyance of certain members and the CC!! - I don't think they need to be worried though - well, not at the moment!!  Stalk away. If anyone is going to the show, I will be there on Tuesday and the Friday I think. If you want to meet up, let me know. 

Hedgehurst replied on 04/02/2017 21:21

Posted on 04/02/2017 21:21

Merve, thanks too for the Safefill idea - that's one I'm inclined to look at even before the SP. I am seriously not electrically tech minded, though we do have 16 panels on our house roof, for environmental reasons first & long term economics second, and love being able to run household machines off them when there's enough light, which is surprisingly often.

I'll have to re-read your posts on how to work out what best we need once we've had time to see what needs we have in the 'van, then work out how much is within my capability.

Our van is fairly low-tech, no heater, no shower - though does have a water heater - no intention of TV, no microwave, so that will hopefully help.
Meanwhile Safefill looks easier even for a complete beginner! Do you find it's available from forecourts all over the UK?

When it comes to SP I'm also thinking that fastening panels to a pop-top roof might not be so practical, but hopefully portable one(s), padlocked on, would still be sufficiently useful.

One more question for now - places like the Centre for Alternative Technology at Machynllyth were touting stick-on solar panels for buildings a few years ago, I wonder if they're yet practical for caravans?

Merve replied on 04/02/2017 22:38

Posted on 04/02/2017 22:38

Hi Richard. Some do use stick on panels as they are much lighter but they do not produce as well as the rigid type. The portable are fine and many use them. - One thing I must repeat here and this is very important. If you go down the road I am down with a fixed panel on the roof, please, please please make sure that it is done correctly. - you don't want to end up with a damp roof because of water ingress. That can either be by yourself or in my case by a caravan engineer. I had Panelworks at Bawtree, South Yorks do mine and they did a perfect job using the correct adhesives and cements for the job. Only one hole is drilled and is sealed with an epoxy resin that dries rock hard before fitting the waterproof gland for the wire to pass through. The feet are stuck on and mine has been solid for 3 years with not a bit of a problem.

It sounds as though you should have no problems at all running your van on SP as I run far more than you will. We have phones, electric toothbrush- which I have just changed to a USB chargeable model, Heating (when needed) electric pump for taps and toilet etc, lights (LED) television now and again although the garbage on it- I don't know why we bother! Microwave, toaster, blender, vacuum. That's about it I think.

As regards Safefill, I have to say that at the moment, it's not as easily available as we would all  like. There are various reasons for this but I am sure that things will change in the near future as Neil and John at Safefill are working very hard to make Safefill the go to cylinder. However, In the 3 years I have owned one I have not had a problem in getting gas. The Safefill website will show you where Safefill is welcomed. I can only tell you of my experiences. I went to a fillingl station just outside St Davids in Wales two years ago to get gas. As soon as the guy saw the Safefill cylinder he broke into a cold sweat and gave me every excuse in the book as to why he couldn't fill it from 'not being insured' to 'not having the correct licence ' and other BS! Me being me, I asked him straight out- you won't fill it because Calor has told you not to haven't they? He was very sheepish and if the earth could have swallowed him I think he would have chosen it! Calor and Flo are the big two and they make enormous amounts of cash hiring out cylinders that have been hired out 500 times before- Safefill is a real threat to that revenue stream and they are fighting it I'm sure. That's why I encourage all and sundry to buy a Safefill cylinder- they can't ignore all of us wanting gas! Many of the outlets are independent and need to sell gas- we are one such market! Anyway, to finish the story, we were going out the nextt day and took the nearly empty cylinder with us. We were going to Tenby for the day and I called in at a garage that was selling 'gas4wales' - absolutely no problem- they wanted to sell gas- they weren't worried how they sold it or who they sold it to. They weren't into selling 'gas4wales' cylinders either- That is rather revealing don't you think- in fact, I think if the girl at the cash desk could have helped anymore she would have. Anyway, find out where you can fill or fill before you go. Before now, and Oscid will smack my wrist if he sees this but, I have strapped my cylinder into the back seat and pulled up to the pump, opened the rear door window and filled ithrough the window- as far as the cashier is concerned, I am filling the car wink wink. There is more than one way to skin a cat!! Calor cylinder - £24 - Safefill for the same amount £6 approx. No brainer?

I am not electrically minded either but it's amazing how you learn if you have to! I got a friend of a friend to do the installation of the inverter- a great job. And money well spent!

Johnny57 replied on 05/02/2017 13:20

Posted on 05/02/2017 13:20

Hi Merve
As a follower I am pleased you have started your thread again “How to survive a non 240v EHU site” I hope The CC find the original content.
I run A CL in Oxfordshire which is non EHU and am keen to get members to see how SPs etc can give them more freedom!. Last year I built a stand alone solar unit that visitors could try out. I have a page on our website “How to survive without a 240v ehu”  I did have a link to your old post/thread here along with an article by John Therat - Alternative Energy, who kindly agreed I could feature it.
I was wondering if you would consent to me adding your ACCEO article with a credit on the same page?
Keep up the great work
John

Merve replied on 05/02/2017 16:46

Posted on 05/02/2017 16:46

Hi John, Absolutely you can. What a great idea regarding the stand alone SP unit- has anyone been converted? It's amazing how many folk haven't thought about it and when they come across it as they have with me, they take note- particularly when they find out how much money can be shaved off Caravan costs. - an idea - you could ring Safefill and ask Neil or John for some handouts explaining the Safefill cylinder and how safe it is. There are still many caravanners and motorhomers who don't know about them or even their existence. I will visit your website and have a look. Thanks for the contact. The very best for the future.  

Just to put folk right on a point. It was not me who started the original thread- I can't remember who it was but it was a master stroke. I took to this thread like a duck to water We need a thread like this for the folk who think outside the box! 

Johnny57 replied on 06/02/2017 07:49

Posted on 06/02/2017 07:49

Merve thanks for that.
The stand alone unit has had a little use at end of last year after I built it, had tooth brushes and phones/laptops charging on is top. It got people looking at it and asking questions which is all I can ask. The main thing was to try to get people to see you could say longer that 1-2 days! without EHU.
The first couple to try it loved the idea but already had a fold out SP. He did in fact take some photos and sent them into the Club magazine with a short description “No hook-up, No problem!” etc
Will look into adding something about Safefil as well to the web page
Thanks John

ocsid replied on 06/02/2017 08:56

Posted on 06/02/2017 08:56

A point I would make with regards Safefill is a bit of initial research is needed to ascertain if recharging it is going to be viable near home.

Here in Hampshire there are real challenges, with locally no normal fuel station forecourts allowing it, though several miles away a truck centre does. For me over half a gallon of diesel round trip away, so another cost.

Great concept but there are issues with refilling and IMO not one getting better, I suspect more difficult.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook