How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

cyberyacht replied on 19/07/2018 08:18

Posted on 19/07/2018 08:18

I would imagine that if metering was introduced, those who were mostly summer campers would gain and all year/high consumers would lose. The issue in the UK seems, for the most part, about the choice to plug or not to plug. The electrically self-sufficient among us often have to pay for a facility that they do not require, as with toilet blocks. One wonders if there was a more 'menu driven' tariff whether there would be less inclination to 'wild-camp'.

It is somewhat akin to yachting where, mostly, it is a choice between anchoring in a sheltered spot or paying for full-on services in a marina.

Boff replied on 19/07/2018 20:20

Posted on 19/07/2018 20:20

Why doesn’t anyone who objects to metered electricity, ever have the honesty to say.  I don’t want metered electricity because it would cost me more?

Tinwheeler replied on 19/07/2018 20:22

Posted on 19/07/2018 20:20 by Boff

Why doesn’t anyone who objects to metered electricity, ever have the honesty to say.  I don’t want metered electricity because it would cost me more?

Posted on 19/07/2018 20:22

Maybe because that’s not the reason? You’re assuming it is, Boff, but you don’t know for sure.

Boff replied on 19/07/2018 20:50

Posted on 19/07/2018 20:50

2 minutes to reply.  You must be slowing down Tinwheeler.   Go on then enlighten me what are the other, possible / plausible, explanations?   

hitchglitch replied on 19/07/2018 20:56

Posted on 19/07/2018 20:20 by Boff

Posted on 19/07/2018 20:56

How could anybody object when they are metered at home? Many also have water meters. Utilities are valuable resources which should not be wasted so in principle all members should support metering, however, whether it is cost effective for the Club to install meters is questionable. 

Tinwheeler replied on 19/07/2018 21:21

Posted on 19/07/2018 20:50 by Boff

2 minutes to reply.  You must be slowing down Tinwheeler.   Go on then enlighten me what are the other, possible / plausible, explanations?   

Posted on 19/07/2018 21:21

Do you think I sit and watch you, Boff? Don’t flatter yourself!

All I did was point out what would have been obvious if you’d stopped and thought before suggesting other posters aren’t being honest.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 19/07/2018 21:28

Posted on 19/07/2018 20:56 by hitchglitch

How could anybody object when they are metered at home? Many also have water meters. Utilities are valuable resources which should not be wasted so in principle all members should support metering, however, whether it is cost effective for the Club to install meters is questionable. 

Posted on 19/07/2018 21:28

+1. I have both & I’m a big fan of em too. You know where you stand & are in total control👍🏻

Boff replied on 19/07/2018 22:23

Posted on 19/07/2018 21:21 by Tinwheeler

Do you think I sit and watch you, Boff? Don’t flatter yourself!

All I did was point out what would have been obvious if you’d stopped and thought before suggesting other posters aren’t being honest.

Posted on 19/07/2018 22:23

Flattered? By you?   I can assure you I cannot conceive of any circumstance whiere by I could be flattered by you.   Twisting my remarks yes, accusations again yes.  Actually answering a question absolutely not.  As a self appointed arbiter of what is allowable on this forum, why you you answer questions? 

Tinwheeler replied on 19/07/2018 22:51

Posted on 19/07/2018 22:23 by Boff

Flattered? By you?   I can assure you I cannot conceive of any circumstance whiere by I could be flattered by you.   Twisting my remarks yes, accusations again yes.  Actually answering a question absolutely not.  As a self appointed arbiter of what is allowable on this forum, why you you answer questions? 

Posted on 19/07/2018 22:51

What are you asking? It’s indecipherable.

This all stems from you suggesting that posters are being less that honest in their comments about metering. That’s fact, not accusation and is twisting nothing. Go back and read your earlier post if you don’t believe me.

Tinwheeler replied on 19/07/2018 23:26

Posted on 19/07/2018 23:26

Look, Boff, I have no idea why you decided to pounce on me following my initial post which was not inflammatory and merely stated that what you were saying about people not giving honest views may not be the case.

A lot of people will be upset if this thread is closed due to your response to my post and the subsequent comments so, for their sakes, I propose to leave it there.

As for metering, I couldn’t care less one way or the other so have neither an axe to grind, nor any strong views.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook