How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

SuttonColdfield replied on 08/06/2018 16:06

Posted on 08/06/2018 16:06

Has anyone of you with solar panels fitted it out yourselves? I ask as I am just embarking on it so will let you know how it goes.

JayEss replied on 08/06/2018 16:10

Posted on 08/06/2018 16:06 by SuttonColdfield

Has anyone of you with solar panels fitted it out yourselves? I ask as I am just embarking on it so will let you know how it goes.

Posted on 08/06/2018 16:10

Yes I fitted ours about 4 years ago. It's not too bad a job but we decided against permanently mounting it once I'd got the cables in place. It ate up valuable payload laughing

Boff replied on 08/06/2018 17:07

Posted on 08/06/2018 17:07

Yes I've fitted them to the roof.  Its not a difficult job.  Just requires a bit of thought.  If you are going to drill the roof investing in a 19mm? hole saw makes a pretty neat job.  Tube of Sikaflex.  Top tip if you if you are going to roof mount most panels come with MC4 connectors.  You can buy extension lengths of solar cable with a male MC4 on one end and  a female the other.  Buy one that is twice the length you need to go to the controller and then you can connect up the panel cut the cable in half you can then connect to the  controller.

Good luck!

Merve replied on 09/06/2018 12:30

Posted on 09/06/2018 12:30

Have to say I had my 135w panel fitted professionally. Silaflex is good stuff but they use a filler that dries rock hard around the gland etc. I have had no issues with mineIt’s not a technically demanding job but you need to plan it. I think any additional panel will be a suitcase type. I have saved payload just recently by going over to 1 X 100ah Lithium Battery as against 2x 110ah lead acids- a quarter of the weight! As far as a hair dryer is concerned, a micro fibre towel will virtually dry the hair I understand- not my area of expertise though!! 

1Tracey1 replied on 10/06/2018 19:43

Posted on 10/06/2018 19:43

Hi, going back to my laptop query...is this the sort of thing that would work

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/80W-Universal-Laptop-Car-Charger-Travel-Adapter-12V-DELL-HP-TOSHIBA-SONY-ACER/132518870120?epid=2149176215&hash=item1edabd7c68:g:kscAAOSwHAdZt5ta#rwid

I know nothing about wattage or anything and tried to find something on HP or PC World sites but nothing came up.

Re the hairdryer..I've given up off grid and just choose a very sunny day to wash my hair.  Whilst a micro fibre towel is better and a 12v hairdryer will dry if you have an hour to spare, if you have long hair I have decided that the sun is the best way and being not to bothered about what you look like. 

Merve replied on 12/06/2018 21:57

Posted on 12/06/2018 21:57

It gives you a list of compatible Laptops in the product details Tracey. Can’t see any reason why it shouldn’t work. Gives input voltage and is fused to protect from any surges. 

Merve replied on 15/07/2018 18:49

Posted on 15/07/2018 18:49

No problem John. Enjoying offgrid caravanning in Wales at the moment- been watching the Wimbledon Men’s Final and other stuff and the battery is still 100% State of Charge. This really is living the dream!! Hope others get something out of it. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook