How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

eurortraveller replied on 17/07/2018 13:11

Posted on 17/07/2018 13:11

I travel the world and never find campsites without mains electricity. It's time some primitive Uk campsites moved on. 

Merve replied on 17/07/2018 15:22

Posted on 17/07/2018 15:22

I don’t travel the world and love the peace and quiet of a ‘primitive ‘ UK site as do many others without the world and his wife jostling for position and the toilet block - we are all different ET. 

Merve replied on 17/07/2018 15:50

Posted on 17/07/2018 11:52 by dmiller555

Very interesting video but isn't the toast rather expensive with this system?

Posted on 17/07/2018 15:50

🤣 No not at all! Every time I make some I have saved. I don’t even have to use Safefill gas! I have only compared to CLs but if I compared to CMHC sites the savings are mouth watering!

Look, I am now retired. As a result I can ‘live the dream’  I, like many others was sold a private pension years ago with promises of 70 or 80k a year. What a load of crap- the payback is pathetic so how was I to do what I had set my heart on ie travel the U.K. with the caravan when I was paying on average £15 a night? The facts were that I would have had to cut down my nights away due to the cost so how could I do it? Cut down the cost of my caravanning that’s how and I have managed to very successfully, with the aid of modern technologies, and expert advice, managed to do just that. Now I know we have some people on here that light there fags with a fiver, but I ain’t one of them. I have reinvested my savings back into the power systems on the van and now I am more than happy with what I have achieved. 

All I am doing is saying to people- there is an alternative- you don’t have to do it now the way you’ve always done it - you can break away from the matrix and be free from the Stranglehold of Calor and EHU sites that charge about a tenner extra for the EHU EACH day from which you take about 20ps with of electricity a day - if that. I’m not having a go at EHU sites- they have to cover their costs but it’s a cost I don’t wish to cover. I paddle my own kayak (as I have been doing this morning) and I am very happy doing it. The other side of the coin is the Safefill Cylinder- another massive saver for the person who doesn’t want to support multi million pound businesses any more- Calor for instance. Or Flo? But I also know, as if I could be anything other than convinced, that there are those who absolutely refuse for one reason or another to investigate an alternative- that’s fine!! I have no problem with that, but I am a little saddened that I am attacked for trying to bring savings to my fellow caravaners! But , as I say it takes all sorts. If they are happy I’m happy. To the people who have emailed me to say that they have tried what I have suggested I am glad that you are all enjoying the benefits of offgrid caravanning and saving serious money in the process. Lithium was the next stage for me in an evolution that started some 6 years ago and I am - so far, very impressed indeed. It’s like I said- wild camping with hook up! Over the next few years the savings will allow me to live the dream. I am more than happy to invest in technology if it’s going to make my life easier and more comfortable- and it unquestionably does. And as a footnote has led me to some of the most beautiful sites I have ever seen. It’s a win win situation for me. 

replied on 18/07/2018 20:40

Posted on 17/07/2018 13:11 by eurortraveller

I travel the world and never find campsites without mains electricity. It's time some primitive Uk campsites moved on. 

Posted on 18/07/2018 20:40

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

eurortraveller replied on 18/07/2018 21:26

Posted on 18/07/2018 21:26

Merve seems happy to accept mains water but has an antipathy to mains electricity. I expect a modern campsite to provide both. 

cyberyacht replied on 18/07/2018 21:35

Posted on 18/07/2018 21:35

There you go, Merve. A challenge - set up a solar still to supply your own water unless you want to go the "Bear Grylls route" and recycle your own wee. wink

peedee replied on 19/07/2018 07:13

Posted on 17/07/2018 13:11 by eurortraveller

Posted on 19/07/2018 07:13

While it maybe true the majority of sites "over there" supply EHU you do have a choice of whether to pay for the service or not which could be of a very low power output or charged at a high rate via metering. It is still best to have your own sources of power which also gives you great flexibility of what to use and where to stay.

For UK sites to move on they need to give more choice and meter electricity usage.

peedee

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 19/07/2018 07:40

Posted on 19/07/2018 07:13 by peedee

While it maybe true the majority of sites "over there" supply EHU you do have a choice of whether to pay for the service or not which could be of a very low power output or charged at a high rate via metering. It is still best to have your own sources of power which also gives you great flexibility of what to use and where to stay.

For UK sites to move on they need to give more choice and meter electricity usage.

peedee

Posted on 19/07/2018 07:40

PD, I’m struggling with this-‘For UK sites to move on they need to give more choice & meter electricity usage’ what is more choice?, what has metering electricity to do with moving on?. Merve understands choice, He & His fellow off gridders choose their lifestyle without expecting the choosers of EHU use to change. The C&MC seems to be getting their mix spot on judging by the £turnover success. You seem to be on a mission to change things to match your own individual mantra🤔☹️

replied on 19/07/2018 07:55

Posted on 19/07/2018 07:55

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook