How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Johnny57 replied on 30/08/2017 08:48

Posted on 29/08/2017 13:11 by Merve

That's the point John - being able to show what is possible. I would agree that a 'basic' system for a van would be 80watt but if they want to be off EHU almost permanently, I would be recommending starting at 120w. You want to write to the CMHC and tell them about your setup. You must be the first in the country to offer such a service- it's worth the club taking notice but of course- you're non EHU aren't you - if you have as much luck as I did don't hold your breath!! 😂😂😂😂😂

Posted on 30/08/2017 08:48

Merve
I agree the bigger the better!
We did have a guest who used it last year and asked if he could send in an image and a description to the Caravan Club magazine I said great go ahead (better than if I sent it in!)
Not been published but he got this reply -"Thank you for your email to The Magazine Department of The Caravan Club.
I will forward it to the Editor for consideration in the magazine.
As you can imagine, we are offered far more material than we can possibly use. However, we would like to keep your photo on file with a view to publication at some future date but I'm afraid we cannot make any promises.
Once again thank you for taking the time to write to us."
Not holding my breath either

Boff replied on 30/08/2017 09:36

Posted on 30/08/2017 09:36

Just back from holiday. Some figures what they are worth

8 nights @ £7 per night non-ehu

5 nights@ £14 ehu

5 nights Welsh national Rally £70 (I think) 

Solar panel kept everything topped up off ehu

Off ehu We used approximately 1kg of gas per day  safefill ran out halfway through ehu stay . Refilled at a cost of £9.  Biggest saving however was not the non ehu but because we stayed local we did a grand total of 748 miles a lot less than going to France or Germany. 

Merve replied on 30/08/2017 14:20

Posted on 30/08/2017 08:48 by Johnny57

Merve
I agree the bigger the better!
We did have a guest who used it last year and asked if he could send in an image and a description to the Caravan Club magazine I said great go ahead (better than if I sent it in!)
Not been published but he got this reply -"Thank you for your email to The Magazine Department of The Caravan Club.
I will forward it to the Editor for consideration in the magazine.
As you can imagine, we are offered far more material than we can possibly use. However, we would like to keep your photo on file with a view to publication at some future date but I'm afraid we cannot make any promises.
Once again thank you for taking the time to write to us."
Not holding my breath either

Posted on 30/08/2017 14:20

mmmm......now let me think about this? I've  thought about it- it will be filed under WPB!!  ðŸ˜‚😂😂😂😂

Merve replied on 30/08/2017 14:26

Posted on 30/08/2017 09:36 by Boff

Just back from holiday. Some figures what they are worth

8 nights @ £7 per night non-ehu

5 nights@ £14 ehu

5 nights Welsh national Rally £70 (I think) 

Solar panel kept everything topped up off ehu

Off ehu We used approximately 1kg of gas per day  safefill ran out halfway through ehu stay . Refilled at a cost of £9.  Biggest saving however was not the non ehu but because we stayed local we did a grand total of 748 miles a lot less than going to France or Germany. 

Posted on 30/08/2017 14:26

Staycations are the trend at the moment Boff due to the Euro exchange I guess. What size Safefill do you have? 

Boff replied on 30/08/2017 15:06

Posted on 30/08/2017 15:06

We have the Safefill, mark 1.  8.2kg.   But even if I had used say a 13kg Calor the cost of gas would only be in the region of £15 or so.  Not huge in the great scheme of things. 

Merve replied on 31/08/2017 12:16

Posted on 31/08/2017 12:16

No, not huge as you say, Calor certainly becomes cheaper the more you buy which I guess is the way it works. 13kg are so massively heavy though.

Boff replied on 31/08/2017 13:06

Posted on 31/08/2017 12:16 by Merve

No, not huge as you say, Calor certainly becomes cheaper the more you buy which I guess is the way it works. 13kg are so massively heavy though.

Posted on 31/08/2017 13:06

13kg Calor been arround a lot longer than a safefill.  As kids in the 70s we used to go away with a 32lb butane bottle strapped to floor of the van.  Anyway a 13kg not that heavy compared to 19kg bottle. laughing 

Merve replied on 31/08/2017 17:09

Posted on 31/08/2017 17:09

You couldn't put a 13 in the locker though Boff - I have used them before the appearance of Safefill. I took 2 (or were they 19s??) to Scotland and thank goodness I did- it was at Christmas time and the temperature never got above freezing for 10 days and -15 at night! 

Boff replied on 31/08/2017 17:56

Posted on 31/08/2017 17:56

Actually a 13 will fit in my gas locker.  The blurb says 2 x 11kg.   I do no people who use 19kg bottles less so now than in the past because of safefill.  I would never use one because they are too heavy for me to carry.  

Friends of ours had a custom made Vanmaster, which  had  a rear wet room for their disabled daughter.  They were told by VM (not the current owners of VM btw) to put 2 13kg Calor's in the front to counter balance the rear weight. 

Merve replied on 01/09/2017 06:32

Posted on 01/09/2017 06:32

Yes, it would have been 19s then. I know I had to stand them outside on the ground so the outlet of the cylinder was below the bulkhead regulator so no oils or other detris could enter the regulator and destroy it. I don't like having gas tanks outside the van. I remember them being very heavy. Never again thank goodness!! 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook