How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Merve replied on 05/09/2017 08:10

Posted on 05/09/2017 08:10

You never stop learning do you? By watching servicing videos on caravans on YouTube, (very good for self maintenance)  I discovered that the tv  ariel can be turned off! The red light always shone in the overhead locker and I hadn't realised there was an on/off switch as it was not visible. According to the video maker, the ariel can use quite a bit of power so, that's another way of saving power. We are in Wales at the moment and weather isn't great. No bright sunshine but the panel is working and the batteries are holding up well. 

Boff replied on 05/09/2017 08:45

Posted on 30/08/2017 09:36 by Boff

Just back from holiday. Some figures what they are worth

8 nights @ £7 per night non-ehu

5 nights@ £14 ehu

5 nights Welsh national Rally £70 (I think) 

Solar panel kept everything topped up off ehu

Off ehu We used approximately 1kg of gas per day  safefill ran out halfway through ehu stay . Refilled at a cost of £9.  Biggest saving however was not the non ehu but because we stayed local we did a grand total of 748 miles a lot less than going to France or Germany. 

Posted on 05/09/2017 08:45

Just to finish this off.  We did a further off ehu at a rally last weekend. Yesterday refilled the safefill cost me £8.03. 

So that is a total of 15 nights off ehu and 5 on so total cost of gas used £17.03.  The included extensive use of the Weber Q including forgetting to switch it off once. So an extra £1.15 ish per day for gas assuming no use while on ehu.  

Put it another way if the CL off grid was  £7 per night, and with £14 per night that is £6 per night saved or £90 saved.   It's not all a bed of roses, I did have to use a pan to heat the milk for my wife's coffee using a pan rather than the microwave and err actually that's it. 

peegeenine replied on 05/09/2017 10:23

Posted on 05/09/2017 10:23

Similar gas usage to me. Just done 5 weeks without plugging in and gas consumption worked out at about £1 per day. We actually did 6 weeks but for the first 5 days we did have Ehu as it was included but the battery charger was off as the SP looked after the batteries.

Merve replied on 06/09/2017 19:43

Posted on 06/09/2017 19:43

It's great to see Boff and others reporting back to the thread on real life savings. As reported earlier, we are in Wales at the moment enjoying off grid at its best. The rain has been falling freely but never the less, the SP has done what it should- kept us in power. After this fortnight I will dig out all the records of my years adventures and post the costs to the thread. Thanks guys. 

Johnny57 replied on 08/09/2017 11:26

Posted on 08/09/2017 11:26

Hi all Thriving Non EHUers
Kevlon a while back offered a spreadsheet of Non EHU CL sites. I thought this was a great idea as you are not able to search the CAMC website CLs to show results for sites that don’t offer EHU
So after getting in touch with him he agreed to allow ne to update the existing data and tweaking it a little with a view to make it available online.
I have only just published a PDF view of it on our website together with a sharable link to view the Non EHU CL sheet in google docs (will some brief instructions for anyone who needs it) see the page here
Or direct to sheet here (if link works in this post forum)
As it is new and not tried and tested much if you come across an issue or would like us to edit/add an entry please leave a comment on the sheet page or email me here.
Keep Thriving - John - Newton Grove CL

Merve replied on 08/09/2017 18:07

Posted on 08/09/2017 18:07

Great news John. I had noticed how awful the search facility was on the club website- you ask for no facilities and you get everything from EHU to washroom and showers!! The spreadsheet will have to be kept up to date on a monthly basis as and when closures or (hopefully) new ones come on line. Great idea and it's something that the club should be doing- yet more evidence that they don't have non EHU in their priorities. Only the direct to sheet link is readable 

kevlon replied on 08/09/2017 22:11

Posted on 08/09/2017 18:07 by Merve

Great news John. I had noticed how awful the search facility was on the club website- you ask for no facilities and you get everything from EHU to washroom and showers!! The spreadsheet will have to be kept up to date on a monthly basis as and when closures or (hopefully) new ones come on line. Great idea and it's something that the club should be doing- yet more evidence that they don't have non EHU in their priorities. Only the direct to sheet link is readable 

Posted on 08/09/2017 22:11

For anyone who may not be convinced with our clubs lack of support for thriving on non EHU or indeed the massive benefits from using Safefill and other refillable gas bottles, just scroll up to the top of this page and click on "Advice and Training". Now look for anything connected with Solar Panels, Refillable Gas Bottles or indeed power inverters. What have you found? Nothing, zero, zilch, nought. 

Ive had a thought! What if all of the positive contributors to this forum were to vote for their favourite CL of the year. I would like to bet that Newton Grove would get their vote. What John has done to encourage non believers into witnessing for themselves what is easily possible should be applauded by one and all, not least our club. If Johns fabulous CL were to win then surely they would have to take heed of what we are attempting to do. That is simply to enlighten others that there is an alternative to the source of power that our club is hell bent on promoting much to the detriment of our planet.

Johnny57 replied on 09/09/2017 09:16

Posted on 08/09/2017 18:07 by Merve

Posted on 09/09/2017 09:16

Merve I have now found an opensource pdf viewer plugin that is free for the website and will allow you follow the links but it opens in the viewer window (so have to use browser back button to go back!) can also be printed or downloaded.
I hope to get time to keep it up todate on a monthly basis.
Something like this would not be required if the club allowed you to search for Non EHU sites!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook