How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Merve replied on 28/08/2017 22:18

Posted on 28/08/2017 22:18

Hedge, it doesn't matter what caravan you have. I'm sure it is absolute luxury compared to the tent you gave up for it. There's nothing quite like snuggling down in the duvet with the rain pattering on the roof. I hope you make the transition to a refillable cylinder- you won't regret it I'm sure. 

Merve replied on 28/08/2017 22:44

Posted on 28/08/2017 22:44

A greener way of doing things is welcomed by everyone I'm sure Pippah, particularly the future generations.

Johnny57 replied on 29/08/2017 11:37

Posted on 28/08/2017 20:46 by

Really interested in how you do this.  Specifically how do you connect your solar unit to a caravan or motorhome?  Also, the units look quite large so do they contain batteries?

Posted on 29/08/2017 11:37

Hi [Deleted User User]
The unit we have made is on a small trailer so it can be moved around the site easily. It does contain a 200ah battery which is also charged by the solar panel as well as the caravan or motorhome if plugged in. The units battery powers a led light and a 600w inverter to convert 12v DC to 240v AC (but only providing about 5amps max) for charging things like tooth brushes, phones, laptops etc (this is just so people can sse what is possible).
A basic system for a van would be a fold out 80w panel and a regulator such as this on ebay you can carry it in the outfit and fold out and connect to your battery compartment when on site.
See more at http://newtongrove.co.uk/how-to-thrive-without-a-240v-ehu/ some better pictures of it at bottom of page
Regards John

Merve replied on 29/08/2017 13:11

Posted on 29/08/2017 13:11

That's the point John - being able to show what is possible. I would agree that a 'basic' system for a van would be 80watt but if they want to be off EHU almost permanently, I would be recommending starting at 120w. You want to write to the CMHC and tell them about your setup. You must be the first in the country to offer such a service- it's worth the club taking notice but of course- you're non EHU aren't you - if you have as much luck as I did don't hold your breath!! 😂😂😂😂😂

Hedgehurst replied on 29/08/2017 18:51

Posted on 28/08/2017 20:46 by

Really interested in how you do this.  Specifically how do you connect your solar unit to a caravan or motorhome?  Also, the units look quite large so do they contain batteries?

Posted on 29/08/2017 18:51

On Merve's thread recommending his wonderful Lake Dist. site, we got off-topic and I promoted a rant about the CMC doing remarkably little to publicise information about all things solar. While I was rightly reminded there's a lot of it on sale, so the information's there, I still felt that you have to want to look in the first place, and know where to look to learn more. I reckon that while this post specifically wonders about connecting the Newton Grove unit marries up to one's own van/MH, I still feel this post helps reinforce my point. We have to do some digging, and that's enough to discourage the faint hearted. Not like those here!
Good luck with the research, [Deleted User User] :-)

Hedgehurst replied on 29/08/2017 19:05

Posted on 28/08/2017 22:18 by Merve

Hedge, it doesn't matter what caravan you have. I'm sure it is absolute luxury compared to the tent you gave up for it. There's nothing quite like snuggling down in the duvet with the rain pattering on the roof. I hope you make the transition to a refillable cylinder- you won't regret it I'm sure. 

Posted on 29/08/2017 19:05

You're right, Merve, in both respects, it is more luxurious, and yes there is no sound like pattering rain on the roof as you snuggle down... whether in a van or a decent tent! In the past we've had concerned caravanners asking if we were OK after the storm, as they'd been tossed and battered all night, with a torn and bent awning, and in some cases water had forced its way into their vans, while we sat snug and dry in our tent, and the ground didn't rock!
Our van has none of the dials, gauges, thermostats, microwaves, sound systems, etc which most modern vans seem to have. In some ways, it's the nearest thing to a tent we could find which has comfortable beds off the ground, an inside loo, and neither needs pitching, nor folding away wet while the rain batters you as you're packing, to later re-pitch soggy tent material. And yes, it does have basic electrics, so we survived in freezing temperatures with our small heater way better than the tent would have allowed. We're thoroughly converted!

Hedgehurst replied on 29/08/2017 19:07

Posted on 29/08/2017 19:07

Wondering whether it's better to ask for people's tips on making caravanning greener on this thread, which seems to be thriving again, or to start a new one, as it's really a new topic.

Merve replied on 29/08/2017 20:41

Posted on 29/08/2017 20:41

Well Hedge, I think it's one of the same thing. Being off grid is a greener way of doing things.I remember when I was starting off on this project, 50% was the fact that it was a greener way of doing things and 50% of it was I could caravan so much cheaper- I've been proved right on both counts. All ideas are very welcome on here but if you think a new thread will help, go for it. 'How to thrive on a non 240v site' pretty much involves anything that makes life better for the non EHUer. Green issues included. I can virtually guarantee that opinions will be free flowing!

replied on 29/08/2017 20:45

Posted on 29/08/2017 20:45

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Merve replied on 29/08/2017 21:14

Posted on 29/08/2017 11:37 by Johnny57

Hi Dorset Diver
The unit we have made is on a small trailer so it can be moved around the site easily. It does contain a 200ah battery which is also charged by the solar panel as well as the caravan or motorhome if plugged in. The units battery powers a led light and a 600w inverter to convert 12v DC to 240v AC (but only providing about 5amps max) for charging things like tooth brushes, phones, laptops etc (this is just so people can sse what is possible).
A basic system for a van would be a fold out 80w panel and a regulator such as this on ebay you can carry it in the outfit and fold out and connect to your battery compartment when on site.
See more at http://newtongrove.co.uk/how-to-thrive-without-a-240v-ehu/ some better pictures of it at bottom of page
Regards John

Posted on 29/08/2017 21:14

I have to say John that your website and the information you have provided is superb. What an effort! There is so much information there, You deserve the thanks of the caravanning community for your foresight and tenacity for bringing the opportunity of offgrid experience and prospects to those who would look at it. You also deserve great success with your site.  Well done- excellent. You even have the link to the PDF for the Red Guide info. You have done more for the potential non EHUer than the club has- and by a long way- DDs comment in his last paragraph say it all.  If only there were more like you......

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook