How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Merve replied on 09/09/2017 11:00

Posted on 09/09/2017 11:00

Good work John. Thank you so much. We are all in your debt.

Kevlon, I fully appreciate and agree with what you are saying. I don't think it's a secret that you are one of the people who found the non EHU threads on this website and decided to do what others had found was perfectly possible. The problem we have as far as I see it is this. Firstly, we have no help from the club and I think, after all the evidence, help will not be forthcoming. Yes, there are non EHU pitches etc on club sites and that is a good thing so at least there is some sort of recognition.

Secondly, although there are a goodly number of non EHUers (I am surrounded by them right now) and the number is growing all the time, the actual amount of those using and posting to the threads is infinitesimally small- what? 10, - 15 at the most? And against a membership of over a million? To back my claim up, since starting down the non EHU road, although I have met dozens of people who have discovered the same as I have, not one posts to the website- 99% of them either don't know it exists or if they do, never use it. I always try to encourage them to post their experiences as it's easy to ignore one or two, it's not so easy to ignore many.

Then we have the trolls! Who come on and not being interested in it themselves, take great pleasure in poking fun or being plain abusive about something they know nothing about as far as experience is concerned. I am not interested in trailer tents for example- can you find any posts in that section from me? Let alone posts taking the pee or being abusive? No. Why would I? I can only come to the conclusion that we as a group and me in particular as one of the main proponents of non EHU IS pressing a button somewhere, - are we making them feel uneasy? but of course, that will be utterly denied by those who prefer to try to cause problems rather than concentrate on subjects they are involved in or have an interest in. Ignoring them is the way to deal with them. So, we have to continue to communicate our message, not to convert or to 'save' the world as has been said, but to allow people like you to have a different approach to their caravanning. You , I think, would be one of the first to admit that it has had a massive change on how you caravan now,  to what the 'status quo' had you doing?  We know that there are folk out there who find the non EHU threads annoying but there are many more who find them educational, interesting and money saving. So yes, any ideas are most welcome.

Hedgehurst replied on 09/09/2017 11:06

Posted on 08/09/2017 22:11 by kevlon

For anyone who may not be convinced with our clubs lack of support for thriving on non EHU or indeed the massive benefits from using Safefill and other refillable gas bottles, just scroll up to the top of this page and click on "Advice and Training". Now look for anything connected with Solar Panels, Refillable Gas Bottles or indeed power inverters. What have you found? Nothing, zero, zilch, nought. 

Ive had a thought! What if all of the positive contributors to this forum were to vote for their favourite CL of the year. I would like to bet that Newton Grove would get their vote. What John has done to encourage non believers into witnessing for themselves what is easily possible should be applauded by one and all, not least our club. If Johns fabulous CL were to win then surely they would have to take heed of what we are attempting to do. That is simply to enlighten others that there is an alternative to the source of power that our club is hell bent on promoting much to the detriment of our planet.

Posted on 09/09/2017 11:06

Brilliant idea! And while we've not yet been there, we do want to pay a visit.... perhaps I'd better wait until we can claim that before voting!

Meanwhile, I'm still post-surgically slow on finishing a letter I'm writing to the C&MC, which I've mentioned on the "greener" thread, but will send it soon; writing  as newish members, saying that while we value much they offer, such things as the complete lack of information on just that list you give, on their "Advice and training" section, are really disappointing, as well as showing they're missing a trick with the growing awareness and interest in such things. (Ditto measures on sites, info in magazine, etc.)

If more people were to write such messages to them, that might hit harder too.

peedee replied on 09/09/2017 12:04

Posted on 09/09/2017 12:04

Do you believe that those that correspond on CT are really representative of CC membership? I think it is unlikely. It is only those that can be bothered to state an opinion that have a view point. I suspect the vast majority of members just take their two or three week holiday on a site with perhaps the odd weekend thrown in and have no further interest in anything else.

peedee

Tinwheeler replied on 09/09/2017 12:54

Posted on 09/09/2017 12:54

There already is a competition for CL of the year. Surely you've all found voting forms when you visited CLs.

EJB986 replied on 09/09/2017 16:01

Posted on 09/09/2017 11:06 by Hedgehurst

Brilliant idea! And while we've not yet been there, we do want to pay a visit.... perhaps I'd better wait until we can claim that before voting!

Meanwhile, I'm still post-surgically slow on finishing a letter I'm writing to the C&MC, which I've mentioned on the "greener" thread, but will send it soon; writing  as newish members, saying that while we value much they offer, such things as the complete lack of information on just that list you give, on their "Advice and training" section, are really disappointing, as well as showing they're missing a trick with the growing awareness and interest in such things. (Ditto measures on sites, info in magazine, etc.)

If more people were to write such messages to them, that might hit harder too.

Posted on 09/09/2017 16:01

Good luckwink

All of the points raised have been pointed out to the CC many times but as is common knowledge they are strictly ignored.

In fact the CC without hundreds of ignored suggestions and hundreds of ignored complaints just wouldn't feel like home..... so don't try to be too successfulsurprisedsealed

Merve replied on 09/09/2017 18:02

Posted on 09/09/2017 12:04 by peedee

Do you believe that those that correspond on CT are really representative of CC membership? I think it is unlikely. It is only those that can be bothered to state an opinion that have a view point. I suspect the vast majority of members just take their two or three week holiday on a site with perhaps the odd weekend thrown in and have no further interest in anything else.

peedee

Posted on 09/09/2017 18:02

I suspect you're right peedee! 

Hedgehurst replied on 10/09/2017 12:47

Posted on 09/09/2017 18:02 by Merve

I suspect you're right peedee! 

Posted on 10/09/2017 12:47

Ah well. I'll send to them anyway... there was the same sort of response from the world to those weird ideas people began mentioning in the last Millennium about humankind's actions just possibly affecting what happens in the world. Maybe if their cage bars are bashed enough times they'll eventually notice!

hallagather replied on 10/09/2017 15:41

Posted on 10/09/2017 15:41

hi been looking at an inverter to run a tv while off grid or would it be better to buy a 12v tv any advice please

EJB986 replied on 10/09/2017 16:29

Posted on 10/09/2017 15:41 by hallagather

hi been looking at an inverter to run a tv while off grid or would it be better to buy a 12v tv any advice please

Posted on 10/09/2017 16:29

Very many models are 12v with Avtex being the market leader.

If you convert 12 to 220 volts to power a similar product it is normally less efficient than using 12v directly.

replied on 10/09/2017 16:42

Posted on 10/09/2017 16:42

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook