How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Merve replied on 11/09/2017 20:21

Posted on 10/09/2017 21:16 by kevlon

For me it comes down to affordability. My 150 watt panel, additional battery and inverters along with my 30 watt LED HD colour TV cost me less than ยฃ400. My system generates enough power for my needs so I don't need to worry about how much my TVs is using through the inverter. These Avtex TVs are how much?

Posted on 11/09/2017 20:21

Yes, they ain't cheap Kev. It would be interesting to know what the power consumption is on these other makes if anyone knows? 

peedee replied on 14/09/2017 07:16

Posted on 11/09/2017 20:21 by Merve

Yes, they ain't cheap Kev. It would be interesting to know what the power consumption is on these other makes if anyone knows? 

Posted on 14/09/2017 07:16

Typically inverters are only 90 percent efficient so if you look at your 240v TV spec it should give you the power consumption and you should be able to work it out.  If a colour TV is rated at 100watts when on 240v then adding 10 percent to this will give you its probably consumption when using it via and inverter i.e 110 watts to which you must add the power the inverter itself is consuming which might be 25 watts so total would be 135watts.

There are three disadvantages to using a mains powered TV.

1. They are not made for the mobile market and are alegedly not so robust as a 12v one.

2. As pointed out they do consume more power via an inverter.

3. If they can be powered direct from 12v, they usually cannot accept a wider range of voltages as a 12 volt one.

Merve I have had no trouble with my BM1 and the van is in use year round.

peedee

Merve replied on 14/09/2017 19:21

Posted on 14/09/2017 19:21

Merve I have had no trouble with my BM1 and the van is in use year round.

peedee

Hi mate, that's interesting. I wonder if mine is faulty then? Checking both my controller and my BM1, ampage going into the battery can show as 1.4 for example on the BM1 and 0.4 on the controller! Quite a difference, and as I said, it shows all sorts of garbage when the van is cold- perhaps I just have a duff one? 

Yep, 135w is a lot for a tele. 30w is acceptable! 

Hedgehurst replied on 14/09/2017 19:56

Posted on 14/09/2017 19:56

I looked up this BM1 meter, as at present we're meterless. Over £100 ain't cheap. I've been told that a useful handheld portable meter can be bought for around £10. No doubt there are some cheap rubbishy ones at this price too. Any recommendations for a basic but useful one, please? I did ask a while ago but don't think anyone responded - apologies if you did & I missed it.
Other than the nuisance of having to open up the battery hatch to briefly touch the meter on, is there any huge disadvantage to such a one, rather than an installed version?

Thanks.

Merve replied on 14/09/2017 22:47

Posted on 14/09/2017 22:47

No hedge, I can't see any disadvantage other that what you point out but how many times will you do it before the novelty wears a bit thin. a multi meter from Amazon should do the business, but, just to open the locker and look at the display of the controller when it's pouring with rain is kinda nice?? 

peedee replied on 15/09/2017 06:54

Posted on 15/09/2017 06:54

Merve I do not have any other metering to tell me what is happening to my battery. My MTPL controller only has indicator lights on to reveal whether the battery is low, fully charged or charging. Half the time I cannot remember what the lights are telling me. With the BM1 it is obvious. Plus points for the BM is it tells you the battery state of charge and how many hours you have left at the rate you are using it and it is easy to read.

My installation on my control panel.

http://www.wheelgotravelling.info/Miscellaneous/BM1_3.jpg

peedee

Merve replied on 15/09/2017 09:28

Posted on 15/09/2017 09:28

• Hi peedee. Well, if it's the only monitor you have then it's better than nothing. My BM, which is mounted by the door and if I knew how to get a photo below 500 meg or whatever it is , I would post a photo! - is saying the same  at the moment 12.6v but what I would give for 4.1amps! Been leaden skies here and its raining hard at the moment and it's showing .2A whilst the 'SunWorks' controller shows .1A  It shows 80% battery. But still shows 199hrs to discharge which can't be right. As that's the time shown when the batteries are 100% charged. I'll be going to the show on the Tuesday  and Saturday so I'll talk to someone about it. When non EHU , it's a very useful piece of equipment - if it's working right๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ just noticed yours is different to mine- mine only has the two buttons being the 'compact'

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 15/09/2017 09:59

Posted on 15/09/2017 09:59

Merve, go online to sunworks website, choose your controller, take the image into your photo library then post on here. The photos from websites are all reduced in size to save bandwidth. The photo I've posted from sunworks website is only around 70kb's the photos can be up to 500kb'ssmile

peedee replied on 15/09/2017 11:32

Posted on 15/09/2017 11:32

Merve. Not sure about the compact model but mine had to be calibrated to match battery capacity for it to give a reasonable estimate of capacity remaining. How to do this was all explained in the manual which came with it.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook