How to thrive on a non 240v site!

Merve replied on 16/01/2017 17:56

Posted on 16/01/2017 17:56

Due to difficulties migrating the original thread, which was massively interesting and popular with members, I am starting another one until the original can be found and  migrated to the Forum.  I apologise to the original OP but I think this is far too important not to be available. Personally, I think, because of the massive moves in technology recently, this subject should have a section by itself. I don't suppose the CC would think about that? So, anything about Solar Panels, LED lighting, Inverters, Safefill even. Anything that assists the caravanners to go off grid in fact - and saves money!!

Merve replied on 15/09/2017 11:49

Posted on 15/09/2017 11:32 by peedee

Merve. Not sure about the compact model but mine had to be calibrated to match battery capacity for it to give a reasonable estimate of capacity remaining. How to do this was all explained in the manual which came with it.

peedee

Posted on 15/09/2017 11:49

That might be the the answer then peedee- I'll investigate further. Rocky has revealed something for me though. Looking at the Sunworks website as discussed, I find that I have a controller for a single battery- not the one for a double- I have 2 batteries!  - it seems to have worked for 4 years so I'm not too worried but I might buy the dual controller as I am getting new Banner Bull batteries in the spring. This is the one I have. The second one is what I should have. Hey! It worked! Thanks Rocky. 

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 15/09/2017 12:54

Posted on 15/09/2017 11:31 by Merve

Thanks Rocky- good of you. The one on the right is the one I have.

Posted on 15/09/2017 12:54

My pleasuresmile

Vicmallows replied on 19/09/2017 21:59

Posted on 19/09/2017 21:59

I wonder if mine is faulty then? Checking both my controller and my BM1, ampage going into the battery can show as 1.4 for example on the BM1 and 0.4 on the controller! Quite a difference, and as I said, it shows all sorts of garbage when the van is cold- perhaps I just have a duff one?

Merve,

The BM1  has been extensively used in the boating world for many years  (I've had one for around 15 years) and its 'peculiarities' are well established.

The most common cause of inaccurate/random readings is poor contact in the in-line fuse holder.  I always recommend replacing the existing one with a blade fuse/holder.

Merve replied on 20/09/2017 22:35

Posted on 19/09/2017 21:59 by Vicmallows

I wonder if mine is faulty then? Checking both my controller and my BM1, ampage going into the battery can show as 1.4 for example on the BM1 and 0.4 on the controller! Quite a difference, and as I said, it shows all sorts of garbage when the van is cold- perhaps I just have a duff one?

Merve,

The BM1  has been extensively used in the boating world for many years  (I've had one for around 15 years) and its 'peculiarities' are well established.

The most common cause of inaccurate/random readings is poor contact in the in-line fuse holder.  I always recommend replacing the existing one with a blade fuse/holder.

Posted on 20/09/2017 22:35

Thanks for that Vic- didn’t know but I do now! Will check that out! 😊

Johnny57 replied on 01/10/2017 13:02

Posted on 01/10/2017 13:02

Hi all “Thrivers”

I have just updated the spreadsheet List of CAMC Non EHU CLs. Link

I have been in touch with the guy that runs the website CL Sites Directory - clsites.co.uk he has now kindly included a “No electric Hook up” facility in his search by County & by Town. At present there does not seem many sites listed but hopefully growing! And I believe it is mobile friendly.
If only our Club could do the same, he did this over night!

Regards, John
NEWTON GROVE, Barford Road, South Newington, BANBURY, OX15 4LN
E: newton.grove@btconnect.com
P: 07722 918265
W: newtongrove.co.uk
See Sites Directory 2017/201* on page 440, entry no: 1273,

eurortraveller replied on 01/10/2017 13:51

Posted on 01/10/2017 13:51

With more and more electric and hybrid cars needing top up re charging I don't think non 240 volt caravan sites have much of a long term future. Sites like that have perhaps got ten years to instal electricity, or quietly close. 

Merve replied on 01/10/2017 18:29

Posted on 01/10/2017 18:29

Thanks John. Good to know. The club IT dept isn’t known for its cutting edge service or super smooth search facility. I bought this problem up with Nick - the big boss and was told that he would look into it. That was a year ago! 

ET, I fail to see what non EHUs have got to do with electric cars or EHU sites for that matter! - or is it that you see charging at the EHU point??- as though that’s the only place you’ll be able to do it!  We have at least 23 years left with diesel cars so I’m not going to worry about it. Non EHU sites will not disappear simply because there are, and will always be, caravaners who want the simple, basic sites. By the time electric cars come in- if they ever do fully, there’ll be charging points all over the place and the cars will be so much better at holding a charge- and don’t forget that cars will carry highly efficient SPs too. 

Johnny57 replied on 02/10/2017 08:39

Posted on 02/10/2017 08:39

Each to his own eurotraveller

Maybe in 10 years time the future will be to have the trees cut down and the CL covered with solar panels so it can add to the national grid to charge all the electric vecihles!

With Electric cars and vans with only a max of 100-120miles on a charge at present they have a way to go! Would take me 5-6 days to get to Sutherland in the Scottish Highlands. I am thinking hybrid is the way to go

With Slow charging drawing up to 3kw of power over 8 hours and fast charging 7kw I guess the existing electrics on most CLs with have to be upgraded anyway to dedicated charging points along side the normal EHU. Large American stlye motorhomes may need a three phase 22kw charging point !

They are working on it! Take a look at this https://futurism.com/take-a-look-at-this-electric-motorhome-powered-by-solar-panels-and-a-battery-pack/

Cant wait to see an electric airbus!

Johnny57 replied on 02/10/2017 08:58

Posted on 02/10/2017 08:58

I was surprised to see our clubs competition is embracing solar power by producing an info sheet click here to visit and is downloadable as a pdf.

eurortraveller replied on 02/10/2017 11:12

Posted on 02/10/2017 11:12

"Can't wait to see an electric airbus".  Well EasyJet reckons they will be flying them on routes up to two hours within ten years.  

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook