What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

ABM replied on 17/10/2022 22:19

Posted on 17/10/2022 22:19

Neighbours returned from their short trip into Welsh World today so relieved yours truly of pigeon feeding duties. Still he came round to ask how they behaved and then to discuss the world (all except Tranmere v Crewe --  no bad language permitted) but he had already noticed a pair of male Sparrowhawks sitting on the roof of a tallish building just a few yards from the 'cote' !  But no chance of them getting a sneaky snack because, while rules are not yet in force, there has been too much Avian Flu information diseminated in press, t.v.  etc for any silliness to occur!!

Also R.S.P.B. has been contacting members of all grades via Royal mail as well as E--Mail looking for urgent funds to help with the anti--virus campaign.

RedKite replied on 18/10/2022 17:56

Posted on 18/10/2022 17:56

Finally managed to identify the birds I saw in the bushes next to our caravan last week thankfully I have plenty of bird books to look at and they were Bonelli's Warblers and what pretty little birds and did hear them calling to each other.

Jay's are busy here with the acorns on our largest Oak Tree, have noticed that a lot of acorns dropped on the ground have black holes in them and the Jay's ignore them.

Pliers replied on 18/10/2022 18:49

Posted on 09/10/2022 20:04 by Wherenext

Best of luck Pliers. Must admit that we were exceptionally lucky when we were in the Netherlands in the summer seeing these birds on at least 5 occasions I can think of, in different areas, it would still have been a thrill to see them in Norfolk. Hope you have some better fortune.

Posted on 18/10/2022 18:49

No luck so far with the eagle spotting!
But some very good birding, nevertheless. 
1st winter thrushes of the autumn for me, flocks of redwings and fieldfares flying in at Holkham.  Good views of snow buntings on the beach, at Cley. Plus all the usual suspects. 
And toads. Lots of toads, on the sides of the footpath to the beach, at Titchwell. Never seen anything like it before, in fact I’d always thought they were nocturnal. 
Still plenty of dragonflies around, too. Good weather certainly helps. 🙂

trellis replied on 18/10/2022 19:27

Posted on 17/10/2022 21:32 by nelliethehooker

Had word back from RSPB re my sighting, and it seems that there have been a number of sightings of a Ruff at Catcott reserve, so it looks as if the wader I saw was one.

Today's fungi,  seen on the path to the elsan point on the CL. Not been able to identify it yet, but waiting for word back from an expert.

Posted on 18/10/2022 19:27

Wondering if it's a pleated inkcap mushroom ?.

Wherenext replied on 18/10/2022 19:32

Posted on 17/10/2022 21:32 by nelliethehooker

Had word back from RSPB re my sighting, and it seems that there have been a number of sightings of a Ruff at Catcott reserve, so it looks as if the wader I saw was one.

Today's fungi,  seen on the path to the elsan point on the CL. Not been able to identify it yet, but waiting for word back from an expert.

Posted on 18/10/2022 19:32

Must admit that they look a lot like some Japanese mushrooms I've come across. Never seen these before though.

nelliethehooker replied on 18/10/2022 21:27

Posted on 18/10/2022 19:27 by trellis

Wondering if it's a pleated inkcap mushroom ?.

Posted on 18/10/2022 21:27

Had word back from Pat at First Nature who identified  it as Hare's-foot Inkcap, so your suggestion was very close, trellis. 

Oneputt replied on 22/10/2022 10:03

Posted on 22/10/2022 10:03

Nice stroll around Sculthorpe this afternoon. First birds seen was Nuthatches and Siskin, quickly followed by Bullfinch and multiple Marsh tits.

breakfast in the van this morning and 2 flocks of Redwings flew over, guessing their were between 200/300 in each flock.  

Lots of rarities come in on the Easterly winds so let the search begin

nelliethehooker replied on 22/10/2022 20:33

Posted on 22/10/2022 20:33

We had a chorus of Owls last night, both Tawny and Barn, around 10:00. This morning, as well as stacks of Pheasants and Partidge, I saw 8 Red Kites circling above the maize fields, and then a flock of Fieldfares. Then on our walk we saw a group of 8 Red Kites and Buzzards together, and numerous individuals of each variety too, a Sparrowhawk chasing a smaller unidentified bird, and 3 Kestrals, one being harassed by a Buzzard!

Oneputt replied on 24/10/2022 21:15

Posted on 24/10/2022 21:15

Back to Sculthorpe today, just to shelter from the wind really.  Highlight was a Barn Owl taking shelter in a Kestrel's nest box in a large oak tree.

The CL we are on at the moment is great for dark sky's.  Stood outside looking in wonder, even saw the Milky Way with the naked eye 

nelliethehooker replied on 24/10/2022 21:28

Posted on 24/10/2022 21:28

Yesterday it was a Hare and later a Ferret on the Maize fields near the site, with Red Kites overhead, also a few White Pheasants and a flock of Fieldfares. Today it was a Green Woodpecker near Lower Swell and a Kingfisher on the R.Eye at Lower Slaughter.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook