What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

mickysf replied on 01/12/2022 19:15

Posted on 01/12/2022 19:15

A group of Palid Swifts repeatedly cutting across the sky in front of us. Like our Swifts but brown, smaller and silent. I love those screaming ‘natives’ we have above our heads in summer but these will do, much warmer here in Macaronesia.

mickysf replied on 01/12/2022 19:28

Posted on 01/12/2022 19:28

Sorry, Pallid Swifts!embarassed Apparently they do scream but these birds have been above our heads all day and silent in their aerial acrobatics.

brue replied on 02/12/2022 14:25

Posted on 02/12/2022 14:25

Had to look up Macaronesia Micky, never mind the Pallid Swifts! wink

Have been keeping an eye on a de-feathered Bluetit that seems to have survived over the last few months and comes to our bird feeder right by our kitchen window. I can see it's undercarriage is totally de-feathered but hoping it will survive. We don't know whether it has a bad lice infestation or is just re-growing it's plumage.

Wherenext replied on 02/12/2022 16:01

Posted on 02/12/2022 16:01

Nice Micky. There was a stray Pallid Swift up on the Wirral a week or so ago. 

Watched a small flock of Fieldfares fly over the house today.

mickysf replied on 02/12/2022 16:34

Posted on 02/12/2022 14:25 by brue

Had to look up Macaronesia Micky, never mind the Pallid Swifts! wink

Have been keeping an eye on a de-feathered Bluetit that seems to have survived over the last few months and comes to our bird feeder right by our kitchen window. I can see it's undercarriage is totally de-feathered but hoping it will survive. We don't know whether it has a bad lice infestation or is just re-growing it's plumage.

Posted on 02/12/2022 16:34

Sounds grand, eh, thinking of changing my username to Macaronesia Micky. ๐Ÿ˜‰Over many years we have visited several islands along the length of this archipelago. Mostly those in the Canaries mind of which La Graciosa is the only one remaining for us to visit.  One of the best islands here in our view is El Hierro it was stunning.
Never been to Cape Verde either which is part of this volcanic chain, may be one day. 

nelliethehooker replied on 03/12/2022 20:21

Posted on 03/12/2022 20:21

Nothing as exotic as micky's Pallid Swift, but spotted a few interesting birds as far as I am concerned today. A Red Kite flew over the site when we were out first thing and then during our walk by Lindley Reservoir saw a Great Crested Grebe, a flock of Widgeon calling, a Grey Heron, a Treecreeper, and flying up the River Washburn a Kingfisher.

brue replied on 09/12/2022 11:02

Posted on 09/12/2022 11:02

Does one Fieldfare make a winter?! Our usual single Fieldfare has just put in an appearance, we haven't seen a flock yet although they are around. They are always late arriving in our area. They are attracted to berries and most of all the remaining apples on our trees. Unfortunately this year we didn't have a big apple crop but have saved some to scatter around. Suspect the icy conditions will bring more arrivals.

nelliethehooker replied on 09/12/2022 19:56

Posted on 09/12/2022 19:56

Brue, we saw lots of Fieldfares today on a walk along above Marske Burn. We have seen surprised to find around here, both at Marske and Redmire orchards with lots of apples left to rot in the trees and the ground. What a waste when there are lots of folks who would welcome having them, bet the birds are loving them though. Also saw our second Kingfisher on our current trip, this time flying up the R.Swarfe.

HelenandTrevor replied on 09/12/2022 21:03

Posted on 09/12/2022 21:03

There was a small flock of fieldfare in our local park this afternoon.

Travelling into Oxford this week we've seen so many Red Kites I've lost count, and a couple of Kestrels too.

OH says he sees a Buzzard in the park when taking the dog for his first walk.  He's early enough to have the park to himself so it's quiet. ๐Ÿ˜‰

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook