What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Oldgirl and Staffy replied on 10/12/2022 10:22

Posted on 10/12/2022 10:22

I know the title of this thread is ‘What have you seen’ but is anyone like me concerned about what they have not seen?    
We feed the birds in our garden from autumn through to late spring. This year the sparrows and starlings are there as usual but there seem to be few blue tits, great tits and chaffinches.  Is it a consequence of bird flu I wonder?

brue replied on 10/12/2022 10:44

Posted on 10/12/2022 10:44

Good post, I think most of us are on the lookout for changes. In our garden all the birds are OK except we lost all our greenfinches following the pox outbreak a few years back. We have lots of Bluetits etc but the cold won't help weak individuals like our one Bluetit with few feathers remaining. frown

Hope things improve!

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 10/12/2022 12:11

Posted on 10/12/2022 10:22 by Oldgirl and Staffy

I know the title of this thread is ‘What have you seen’ but is anyone like me concerned about what they have not seen?    
We feed the birds in our garden from autumn through to late spring. This year the sparrows and starlings are there as usual but there seem to be few blue tits, great tits and chaffinches.  Is it a consequence of bird flu I wonder?

Posted on 10/12/2022 12:11

We lost nearly all species for almost 2 weeks & thought the same OG&S but they’re all back & then some. I’ve just ID’d a Twite(thanks RSPB) only once mind, it was sat in a Maritime pine watching a Great tit & Blue tit bickering over the Sunflower hearts🤷🏻‍♂️😊

Tinwheeler replied on 10/12/2022 12:18

Posted on 10/12/2022 12:18

Our birds vanished in August when the weather was hot. The blackbirds vanished and only one female remained. The magpies, jackdaws and crows are greatly diminished but I did spit a Jay the other day.

Takethedogalong replied on 10/12/2022 12:42

Posted on 10/12/2022 10:22 by Oldgirl and Staffy

Posted on 10/12/2022 12:42

Luckily, we are still seeing most of our regulars, including Blue, Great, Coal and Long Tailed Tits. Lots of Blackbirds and Sparrows, Robins, we have resident Jackdaws, Magpies. Heavy frost here for last few days, with no sign of temps dropping below zero, so we are feeling and watering like mad at the moment. So lovely to see garden birds, they need such help in this kind of weather😁

Amesford replied on 10/12/2022 12:58

Posted on 10/12/2022 12:58

We have a large bramble apple tree in the garden we has produced a bumper crop of apples we have given up on clearing away the fallen apples and being idle has paid off as we have now  attracted loads of Blackbirds, Redwings, Fieldfares, Thrushes to our garden 

Wherenext replied on 10/12/2022 14:17

Posted on 10/12/2022 14:17

We've seen Redwings passing through at the bottom of the garden and there were a few Fieldfares in the centre of the village where there are some Rowan trees with berries on.

Still have all of our usual freeloaders in and around the garden. Tough at the moment as temp below freezing and snow gently falling.

Can't believe the number of buds on the Camelia when we covered it over the other day to save it from the frost.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 10/12/2022 14:48

Posted on 10/12/2022 12:42 by Takethedogalong

Luckily, we are still seeing most of our regulars, including Blue, Great, Coal and Long Tailed Tits. Lots of Blackbirds and Sparrows, Robins, we have resident Jackdaws, Magpies. Heavy frost here for last few days, with no sign of temps dropping below zero, so we are feeling and watering like mad at the moment. So lovely to see garden birds, they need such help in this kind of weather😁

Posted on 10/12/2022 14:48

I’m breaking 3/4” pieces of ice from the cast iron water fountain & taking a boiled kettle for the smaller pieces👍🏻

JVB66 replied on 10/12/2022 18:58

Posted on 10/12/2022 18:58

We have not seen any birds watt the feeders for a while ,just hoping that bird flue has not desimated them

DEBSC replied on 10/12/2022 19:27

Posted on 10/12/2022 19:27

I did worry about encouraging the birds to the feeder station this year, due to bird flu and them gathering. I’m glad that I did though, it has been so busy today in the freezing weather, many different types as well.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook