What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

TimboC replied on 14/10/2022 19:27

Posted on 14/10/2022 19:27

We have a host of about 20 sparrows that live in our hedge. They entertain us with their squabbles over food, and their games in the bird bath.

Most days, a kestral comes along to try and pick one off. He zooms from one side of the hedge to the other, or sits and waits patiently on top, with head cocked to one side. he hasn't succeeded yet!

Wherenext replied on 14/10/2022 19:28

Posted on 14/10/2022 19:12 by nelliethehooker

I have been in communication with Head Gardener at Abbotsbury and he says that it is a Cauliflower Fungus ( Sparassis crispa), which grows and feeds on conifers and is edible when young !!

Posted on 14/10/2022 19:28

Next question Nellie should be "How do you tell the difference between old and young?" Could be the difference between yum and hello toilet or worse.undecidedwink

nelliethehooker replied on 14/10/2022 21:47

Posted on 14/10/2022 19:28 by Wherenext

Next question Nellie should be "How do you tell the difference between old and young?" Could be the difference between yum and hello toilet or worse.undecidedwink

Posted on 14/10/2022 21:47

Perhaps these will answer your question, WN.

https://www.wildfooduk.com/mushroom-guide/cauliflower-fungus/

https://www.fungiforays.co.uk/cauliflower-fungus

Timbo, we did not notice the prototype bouncing bomb, unfortunately.

nelliethehooker replied on 14/10/2022 21:56

Posted on 14/10/2022 21:56

We had a walk around Shapwick Fen Nature Reserve this afternoon. Watched large Buzzard on a free top, airing it's wings, as if togethers soaking wet, or perhaps infected by insects. At one of the bird hides we watched a GSW taking a peanut from a feeder, inserting it a post and then feeding on it there. From the Canada Hide we saw about 30 Little Egrets sunning themselves on the tree stumps sticking out of the water, along with a couple of Cormorants. We followed a flock of Long Tailed Tits up one of the Drove roads and spotted a pair of Reed Bunting.

nelliethehooker replied on 15/10/2022 21:43

Posted on 15/10/2022 21:43

Another interesting day at a couple of nature reserves. At Westhay, although not able to go round the reserve itself as we had Flyte with us and dogs are no longer allowed in, saw a Great White Egret, Shoveller Ducks, a Marsh Harrier and glimpsed, I think, a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. Then at Ham Walks both Little Egrets and another Marsh Harrier along with more Long Tailed Tits, and as we left there was a field of cows accompanied by about 10 Cattle Egrets.

TimboC replied on 16/10/2022 14:06

Posted on 16/10/2022 14:06

Cat and Mouse on the garden hedge again this morning. The Kestral waited patiently for the sparrows, but they ran rings around him again.

A Blue Tit blundered by and very nearly became lunch, but with swerves and U turns worthy of a Tory MP, made it to safety just in time.

brue replied on 16/10/2022 14:25

Posted on 15/10/2022 21:43 by nelliethehooker

Another interesting day at a couple of nature reserves. At Westhay, although not able to go round the reserve itself as we had Flyte with us and dogs are no longer allowed in, saw a Great White Egret, Shoveller Ducks, a Marsh Harrier and glimpsed, I think, a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker. Then at Ham Walks both Little Egrets and another Marsh Harrier along with more Long Tailed Tits, and as we left there was a field of cows accompanied by about 10 Cattle Egrets.

Posted on 16/10/2022 14:25

It's a different world down there on those peaty black levels isn't it? We rarely get over there for proper walks as we always seem to be trying short cuts through to avoid the M5! Hoping to see a bit of the Sweet Track in the future. 

TimboC, hope the birds escape, we have a Sparrowhawk like a stealth bomber  even sits in full view of our windows.

RedKite replied on 16/10/2022 17:40

Posted on 16/10/2022 17:40

As I was coming back from the campsite rubbish area this morning had 5 Black Kites flying over and on the way back home had 16 Red Kites flying over, had quite a few warblers on site and as I did not have my bird book with me will check later to see what they were must have been about 8 of them also 1 pair of Green Woodpeckers busy on the grass areas of the site.

Glad you had some good sightings on the Levels Nth.

nelliethehooker replied on 16/10/2022 21:48

Posted on 16/10/2022 14:25 by brue

It's a different world down there on those peaty black levels isn't it? We rarely get over there for proper walks as we always seem to be trying short cuts through to avoid the M5! Hoping to see a bit of the Sweet Track in the future. 

TimboC, hope the birds escape, we have a Sparrowhawk like a stealth bomber  even sits in full view of our windows.

Posted on 16/10/2022 21:48

We drove parallel to the line of the Sweet Track yesterday, but didn't realise that there is a replica of it at the visitors centre until we got back to the van. Oh well, another time!

Visited Carcott Reserve today, again only limited access with the dog, unfortunately. Did see 3 Marsh Harriers, numerous Buzzards and a couple of Kestrals. One of each were being harassed by crows. Again both Great White and Little Egrets were about as well as a few Gadwell, and a flock of Lapwings. When they went up there was a solitary long legged wader flying with them. They were not close to the bird hide so it was hard to identify the wader but someone thought that it was a Ruff, a first for me if it was. I have emailed Ham Walls RSPB to see if they have had a report of one and can confirm it, or otherwise be able say which wader it was.

nelliethehooker replied on 17/10/2022 21:32

Posted on 17/10/2022 21:32

Had word back from RSPB re my sighting, and it seems that there have been a number of sightings of a Ruff at Catcott reserve, so it looks as if the wader I saw was one.

Today's fungi,  seen on the path to the elsan point on the CL. Not been able to identify it yet, but waiting for word back from an expert.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook