What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

Bluemalaga replied on 09/03/2018 22:13

Posted on 09/03/2018 21:18 by neveramsure

More great pics BM, I'm very impressed by the way you capture birds in flight.smile

I need to make more of an effort to find locations where I can spot more birds to snap.undecided

Posted on 09/03/2018 22:13

Thanks you all for the kind comments.

Since I retired, I have spent many many hours trying to capture wildlife pics that I was satisfied with. Today was without doubt my most rewarding and unexpected as the weather was poor and not usually to the Owls liking.

The Owl is one of the easier birds, as they seem to glide at a fairly consistent height for the most part, and a reasonably big target. There were four today and two Kestrels to aim at. One flew around hunting for nearly two hours and came within a few feet of me stood in the road. Wonderful 2 hours.

Oneputt replied on 10/03/2018 09:10

Posted on 04/03/2018 13:15 by Pliers

He posts quite regularly on the Manchester Bird Sightings website, but I've not heard from him for a while. Maybe I should e mail him a nudge...🤔

Posted on 10/03/2018 09:10

Had an e-mail from Alan aka Twitch yesterday.  He hasn’t been well for a while but is hoping to make it to Sandringham in a week or so.  Hopefully if my operation is ok I will do my best to get up and visit him. 

Bluemalaga replied on 10/03/2018 19:04

Posted on 10/03/2018 19:04

When leaving the Short Eared Owls a week ago, I noticed what looked like a Barn Owl at dusk in the distance. As the light was reasonable late afternoon and needing some fresh air, made my excuses and scarpered.

The Barn Owl turned up with just about enough light to hold the high enough shutter speed. Hope they reproduce alright. 

The Owl stayed only for about 10 minutes and headed home with supper.

Oneputt replied on 10/03/2018 19:11

Posted on 10/03/2018 19:11

Great shots with supper in its talon.

saw the Snowy Owl but too far away for photos. It Sat on Titchwell beach

Bluemalaga replied on 11/03/2018 12:01

Posted on 11/03/2018 12:01

Hoping to visit the Barn Owl again later now that I know where to find it. Perhaps the light will be better and the Owl hangs around longer.

Reminder for anyone not familiar, the Norwich Peregrine camera is working again and the birds are visiting regularly. addictive viewing as the breeding season unfolds. Looks like one of the pair feeding at present and seemed to be preparing a laying site earlier.

I had a surprise this morning when checking the garden pond. Our Koi are now nearly out numbered by Frogs that are very active in the breeding department. Counted 10 this morning and one on guard by the spawn which appeared overnight.

Wherenext replied on 11/03/2018 17:04

Posted on 11/03/2018 17:04

Sad morning. Went to take some stuff to the caravan ready for the off later and found a dead Redwing near the van. Didn't notice any in the neighbourhood yesterday and the position it ended up in is difficult to just fall out of the sky. I found a dead Great Tit in the same spot just before the snows came the other week and assumed the overnight frost had got it but am now suspecting that a local cat might be leaving the birds there.

Cheered up later when serenaded by Skylark when setting up van on site.

Lovely photos BM.

brue replied on 11/03/2018 17:17

Posted on 11/03/2018 17:17

We occasionally find a dead bird near our home but it's usually caused by them flying into one of our windows. frown

Looking at BlueM's frog photos we must check our pond again. It was intended for wild life only until I noticed some fish had been slipped in on the quiet by OH. wink I was wondering if that would stop frogs setting up in there, we do have toads.

Oneputt replied on 11/03/2018 18:15

Posted on 11/03/2018 18:15

Couldn’t resist going and having another look at the fabulous Snowy Owl which has now moved to RSPB Snettisham.  Long walk from car park was well rewarded with the owl showing well sitting on a fence post some 150 yards away. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook