What have you seen

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:48

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:48

I can't see the original sticky so will start a new thread.  Saw nearly 30,000 knot on Breydon Water yesterday.  Great weekend at Minsmere, Otter, Kingfishers, Bitterns, lots of Marsh Harriers

brue replied on 06/03/2018 09:30

Posted on 06/03/2018 09:30

We love seeing "our" woodpecker, usually we see one baby later in the summer. I wonder if they pass the pitch on to their descendants? Lovely story Milo, we're lucky to see all these things. smile

Milothedog replied on 06/03/2018 10:11

Posted on 06/03/2018 10:11

The wild parakeets we have locally can be quite entertaining as well, especially when the trees are laden with fruit.  I have also seen a Green Woodpecker in our garden on the odd occasion.  In fact we are very lucky with the amount of different wild life we have, especially when you consider how urban it is where we live in South London.

Pliers replied on 06/03/2018 13:26

Posted on 06/03/2018 13:26

Heard curlew calling on our local moors this morning, 1st ones of the year here on their regular breeding grounds.

Didn't see them, in fact didn't see anything, not even the sheep, just thick, swirling mist 😱

brue replied on 06/03/2018 13:41

Posted on 06/03/2018 13:41

Have been outside quite a bit today, spotted a blackbird with a mouthful of nesting material heading into a bay bush by our home. also a robin has started nest building in one of the hedges. Time to stop hedge cutting, but we've managed to get some tree pruning done.

Spring has sprung (hopefully!) It's lovely and mild today, but squelchy under foot. smile

Wherenext replied on 07/03/2018 15:02

Posted on 07/03/2018 15:02

Great story Milo. We have 2 pairs in the woods behind us and you can tell the difference in pitch between the two. Gets interesting at this of year when the interloper is feeding on the nuts and the other one arrives.

The owners of that house that he likes should be grateful that they don't live in Germany and have a Black Woodpecker visiting. Boy, you should hear them.

brue replied on 07/03/2018 16:51

Posted on 07/03/2018 16:51

I wish we'd set our trail camera up near our house to film the blackbirds building their nest, I've seen so much "stuff" being taken in over the last few days. The large Bay bush has been used for the same purpose before and they go in via the back, well out of sight from the garden but in view from our conservatory. Blackbirds use all sort of things for their nests. I found a YouTube video of something similar.

brue replied on 07/03/2018 19:14

Posted on 07/03/2018 19:14

Friends of ours lived on Mitcham Common, before the Parakeets arrived, they moved a bit further away and the parakeets have reached them now. When I saw a pair in Bristol recently I realised just how far they have spread. 

neveramsure replied on 07/03/2018 19:15

Posted on 07/03/2018 19:15

Spring must have finally arrived in the bird kingdom.smile

Today while on my dog walk I watched a crow peel a large length of moss from a tree branch and fly off with it.cool

I did not even know that crows used moss, I thought it would just be twigs and leaves.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook