How's your footy team doing?

papgeno replied on 14/12/2016 11:00

Posted on 14/12/2016 11:00

I'm starting this thread again because it seems to have been a casualty of the change over to the new site. The Terriers scecured another away win last night at Burton. Two wins in a row now after a barren spell. It'll all go pear shaped on Friday when we go to Norwich because the game is to be televised , we haven't won on the telly for ages.

nelliethehooker replied on 07/05/2022 21:54

Posted on 07/05/2022 17:38 by moulesy

Wow! What an afternoon!  For the first time in over 50 years I haven't been to watch The Gas all season, one of a group of supporters who pledged not to go while we had a manager who came in with 2 assault charges hanging over him and showing complete disrespect for the staff and players he inherited. (Our ticket money has been going to the supporters club to finance the junior teams and development squad instead.)

But now I have to eat humble pie and admit that Joey Barton, along with all the players he brought in have done the job and on an unbelievable last day of the season we've made it back into League 1. (I suppose it would be churlish to say that we should never have lost our place last year!)

And what a way to do it,  turning round a 5 goal deficit to overcome Northampton who were ahead of us on goal difference. And to think that at New Year we were 17th and looking at a possible return to the National League.

So, happy days! And yes, Joey, I admit I was wrong and look forward to many trips back to The Mem next year! smilesmilesmilesmile

Posted on 07/05/2022 21:54

You have also to thank Barrow for scoring that second half goal, without which it would have been the dreaded playoffs!!😄 Well done to them, a fantastic result.

A decent result for you tonight, Pliers, with Pool dropping 2 points. Another must win for you tomorrow though.

moulesy replied on 08/05/2022 10:51

Posted on 08/05/2022 10:51

Yes, Nellie, grateful to the goalscorer and also to the goalie for pulling off that spectacular save from Sam Hoskins' late header. Another goal for Northampton would have done for us.

It was almost history repeating itself - in 2016 Rovers had to win their last game of the season at home to an already relegated club and left Lee Brown's winner till very late in the game. I felt a bit sorry for Accrington Stanley that day, not so much for Northampton who don't really play a very attractive game. Got my fingers crossed for Darryl Clarke and Port Vale in the play offs.

nelliethehooker replied on 08/05/2022 21:46

Posted on 08/05/2022 21:46

WN, don't know if you noticed but your local team did themselves proud today by defeating Stockport, and now lie at the top of the table. Could they end the season as champions with direct promotion into League 2?

papgeno replied on 09/05/2022 09:06

Posted on 09/05/2022 09:06

Can I add my “well done” to The Gas Moulsey. Was it 7-0? While we were beating your rivals from across the city.

It’s been a fantastic season for my lot an’all. A team which just about all the so called pundits and predictors were tipping for relegation finished third in the Championship . They won exactly half the matches played (23), lost 10 and drew 13.

The team cost next to nowt, all free transfers and loans.

Now it’s on to Kenilworth Road on Friday with the return leg at the JSS next Monday

UTT Rog

ABM replied on 09/05/2022 21:02

Posted on 08/05/2022 20:34 by nelliethehooker

Yes, hope they make it, but it would be a bitter pill for ABM to swallow, with Vale replacing Crewe in the 3rd tier.

Posted on 09/05/2022 21:02

Not really, Nellie' Coz they are to us like  Liverpool are to that second string team from Manchester  --  most deffo NOT friends yell

And I Don't mean United Ladies  wink

nelliethehooker replied on 09/05/2022 21:38

Posted on 09/05/2022 09:06 by papgeno

Can I add my “well done” to The Gas Moulsey. Was it 7-0? While we were beating your rivals from across the city.

It’s been a fantastic season for my lot an’all. A team which just about all the so called pundits and predictors were tipping for relegation finished third in the Championship . They won exactly half the matches played (23), lost 10 and drew 13.

The team cost next to nowt, all free transfers and loans.

Now it’s on to Kenilworth Road on Friday with the return leg at the JSS next Monday

UTT Rog

Posted on 09/05/2022 21:38

Hope you come out tops in both those games, and then than one that hopefully follows. If so will you be heading down there for the play-off final?

papgeno replied on 10/05/2022 19:07

Posted on 09/05/2022 21:38 by nelliethehooker

Hope you come out tops in both those games, and then than one that hopefully follows. If so will you be heading down there for the play-off final?

Posted on 10/05/2022 19:07

Thanks for that NH.

Speaking of play off matches. Yorkshire people are often unjustly accused of being tight😀. But a glance at the ticket prices for the four teams in the playoffs is instructive.

Luton are charging £32 for home and away supporters; Forest’s price is £28.  Both the Yorkshire teams are asking £20 .

I got tickets for myself and my GS today at £10 each since both of us are concessions 

Incidentally I read today that Town have been one of the cleanest teams in the EFL this season. They’ve had no red cards and the second fewest yellow cards. I’ve also read that we’ll have VAR for the playoffs so hopefully if they use it properly that should ensure a level playing field.đŸ«°

UTT Rog

papgeno replied on 10/05/2022 19:11

Posted on 10/05/2022 19:11

Sorry didn’t read your post properly. Yes we’ll hopefully go to the final if we’re good enough to get there.

Last time, five years ago, Town took over a hundred coaches so we might look to going that way again. However we’ve got options.

Wherenext replied on 10/05/2022 19:17

Posted on 08/05/2022 21:46 by nelliethehooker

WN, don't know if you noticed but your local team did themselves proud today by defeating Stockport, and now lie at the top of the table. Could they end the season as champions with direct promotion into League 2?

Posted on 10/05/2022 19:17

"I am only going to say dis wonz Monsieur Nellie. Wrecks 'em are NOT my local team. U understand?"wink

I still wouldn't trust Joey Barton as far as he could throw himself Moulesy. Waiting for someone to give him a reason for pulling the pin out of the hand grenade. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook