How's your footy team doing?

papgeno replied on 14/12/2016 11:00

Posted on 14/12/2016 11:00

I'm starting this thread again because it seems to have been a casualty of the change over to the new site. The Terriers scecured another away win last night at Burton. Two wins in a row now after a barren spell. It'll all go pear shaped on Friday when we go to Norwich because the game is to be televised , we haven't won on the telly for ages.

papgeno replied on 18/04/2022 22:00

Posted on 18/04/2022 22:00

This afternoon’s result is nothing short of remarkable.

Town have never won at the Riverside Stadium, indeed they haven’t won on Teesided since 1987 when Boro were playing at Ayresome Park.

It’s  also remarkable because the scorer of the first goal is a devout Muslim who is fasting assiduously from sunrise to sunset for Ramadan. He also got the goal that put the game to bed last Monday against Luton. I saw him interviewed a few weeks back and he made it sound simple  because it’s something he’s been doing all his life as a professional footballer. It can’t be that easy to go that long without even taking a drink.

He did let us into a little secret which helps to some extent, he said his team mates were very supportive and that our keeper is on the ball during a game as to when he can break his fast, and knows when to kick the ball out of play so he can get a quick pack of energy gel.

That was a thoroughly professional performance by a proper team.

UTT Rog😀😀😀

papgeno replied on 19/04/2022 16:23

Posted on 18/04/2022 22:44 by ABM

And that is what the term " TEAM SPIRIT " really means Roger  !!

Posted on 19/04/2022 16:23

Spot on Brian. There was a perfect example of that in yesterday’s match. Boro hit the bar with one of their rare shots on target, the ball bounced back to a Boro player who lashed a shot towards goal only for our full back to put a block in which knocked him off his feet. Normally you’d see a team mate help him up and pat him on his  back “ well done” Our keeper picked him up a gave him the biggest hug you can imagine. I thought that said a lot.

Wherenext replied on 19/04/2022 21:05

Posted on 19/04/2022 21:05

There was an article in the newspaper the other week about Muslim Football players and Ramadan. Most interesting. I think in the PL the captains come together and agree a 2 minute break or something similar at the right time so that they can break their fast. Of course you have more nutritionalists employed nowadays as well so that also helps plus it's a bit of a culture learning experience for those non Muslim players and fans.

I don't think you are going to be very popular with Ttda, Pg, what with her being a Boro fan.

papgeno replied on 22/04/2022 14:09

Posted on 19/04/2022 21:05 by Wherenext

There was an article in the newspaper the other week about Muslim Football players and Ramadan. Most interesting. I think in the PL the captains come together and agree a 2 minute break or something similar at the right time so that they can break their fast. Of course you have more nutritionalists employed nowadays as well so that also helps plus it's a bit of a culture learning experience for those non Muslim players and fans.

I don't think you are going to be very popular with Ttda, Pg, what with her being a Boro fan.

Posted on 22/04/2022 14:09

Town do a pre-match programme on HTTV and this week was devoted to Muslim athletes and Ramadan. There are eight Muslim players at Town through all the teams from the first eleven to the academy and the club have teamed up with a not for profit organisation Nujum Sports who have been instrumental in helping the club.

The club provides a halal food choice at every meal and also sends our Muslim players home with meals to eat before and after their fast so that they get all the nutrients they need to help them observe Ramadan more easily.

When the team plays away from home someone, not the players themselves, is tasked with finding a room for players to use for prayer.

Apparently there is a fridge in the changing room at the training ground with food and drink in it, and one the vice captains suggested that it should be covered during the month.

I understand that the match at Turf Moor was paused in the 41st minute last night so that those breaking the fast could get a drink, so other clubs are also on the ball. Incidentally the CEO of Nujum sports said that English football was light years ahead of other countries in this matter😀

Pliers replied on 27/04/2022 00:19

Posted on 27/04/2022 00:19

Free flags at the City v Real game tonight.

And what an absolutely fantastic match. Won’t be an easy 2nd leg, though.

Good luck to Liverpool, in their big game, I’m sure they’ll win that one, they are certainly on brilliant form.

⚽️⚽️⚽️

Wherenext replied on 27/04/2022 18:43

Posted on 27/04/2022 18:43

Well done Pliers. If only all matches were that good.

Papgeno, thanks for your reply. Very informative post. Good to see that clubs not necessarily in the eye of the public are ahead of the game in many ways and more community based that some in the PL.

ABM replied on 30/04/2022 00:19

Posted on 30/04/2022 00:19

Well t'Alex are moving forward 'cos they have Promoted the assistant Boy up to Full Manager but I cannot find how long his contract has been set at !

papgeno replied on 30/04/2022 12:00

Posted on 30/04/2022 12:00

Town secured a place in the playoffs and sent the Tykes down last Saturday. We’ll have to wait and see who we’re going to play in the semifinals but I think getting to Wemberlee is a big ask.

Lots to play for in Leagues 1&2 today and Town are at Coventry who looked a very good side when we played them at the JSS. Let’s hope they’re already on the beach🫰

UTT Rog

Pliers replied on 01/05/2022 18:48

Posted on 01/05/2022 18:48

Looking as though you might be swapping spots with your pals from Leeds, next season, Rog. ⚽️🙂⚽️

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook