What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

nelliethehooker replied on 26/10/2024 21:49

Posted on 26/10/2024 21:49

Much better weather today, with periods of sunshine and with it warm temperatures, a bit of a contrast from yesterday. We visited one of Millie's favoured places, Staithes, walking in from the Cowber loop road. The council have had to put in a new road and footpath to the hamlet due to costal erosion, the old road having disappeared in places. We had a wander down to the the harbour, along the outer breakwater wall, and then around the village. 'Twas a fair climb back up to the car!! 

The first photo is from the coastal path near the site yesterday and the other is of course Staithes from the breakwater. 

mickysf replied on 26/10/2024 22:33

Posted on 26/10/2024 15:33 by moulesy

Micky - that can only mean one thing, Costa Rica, and you'll love it. I'm very envious; we were there in 2018 and would love to go back one day. Some really memorable highlights - Tortuguero National Park, only accessible by boat, Arenal Mountain where all the hotel pools are heated geothermally, like having a bath that never goes cold, and, best of all, zip lining in Monteverde Cloud Forest, starting high above the clouds.

You must get back on here when you go to let us know where you are and what you're doing. Great to be able to look forward to it. 

Posted on 26/10/2024 22:33

Yes, M. This will be our second proper holiday to Costa Rica. We had called in once whilst on a cruise spending just one day at the Tortuguero canals, that was enough to convince us as to the merits of this wonderful country and it left us wanting more. Our first proper visit, not long after yours, pretty much followed your itinerary, I remember your photos and accounts well and our experiences lived up to yours.
On returning home from our holiday we were totally smitten and we have since longed to return. Now we have bitten the bullet for our 70s treat to ourselves. This time we will retrace some of our steps but will spend most of the time on the Pacific coast and in particular the Osa Peninsula, an area not previously visited. We are very excited and I will post of our adventures, I promise.

Francis replied on 27/10/2024 12:36

Posted on 27/10/2024 12:36

just home after a great weekend away at Ayr Craigie gardens club site it’s closing next week so we won’t be down there again now until March. Weather was ok just nice to relax. Nellie we actually forgot about the site voucher until you mentioned it :(. Easy half hour tow home today caravan back in it’s space. Not sure when we will be away in it again hoping to get another weekend in before  Christmas but not sure as the next few weekends are quite busy for us we have a lot on. Plans This afternoon is to stay at home watching football 

Hope everyone else has had a nice weekend

Wherenext replied on 27/10/2024 15:49

Posted on 27/10/2024 15:49

We visited one of Millie's favoured places

One of Mrs.WN's as well. I think a lot of it has to do with seeing so many videos of artists painting the various scenes plus it does happen to be very pretty. I tend to end up visiting the cliffs and Kittiwakes whilst she draws or paints something so we're both happy. Nice little tour you are on.

Had some lovely weather these last 2 days so doing plenty of outside jobs plus speaking to our new neighbours about the plans and works being carried out. Be nice, hopefully, to have a second youngish family in the close.

We hope to get away again later in the week but we'll have to see how MiL is as she's been off colour this weekend.

DavidKlyne replied on 27/10/2024 15:52

Posted on 27/10/2024 15:52

The forecast was good for today and it proved to be reliable. Spent most of the morning in the garden tidying a few things up. I really need to do some weeding at ground level but my knees will often not co-operate!!! Cleared up lots of leaves but many more to come. Just not looking forward to it getting darker an hour earlier. 

David

milliehull replied on 27/10/2024 17:58

Posted on 26/10/2024 21:49 by nelliethehooker

Much better weather today, with periods of sunshine and with it warm temperatures, a bit of a contrast from yesterday. We visited one of Millie's favoured places, Staithes, walking in from the Cowber loop road. The council have had to put in a new road and footpath to the hamlet due to costal erosion, the old road having disappeared in places. We had a wander down to the the harbour, along the outer breakwater wall, and then around the village. 'Twas a fair climb back up to the car!! 

The first photo is from the coastal path near the site yesterday and the other is of course Staithes from the breakwater. 

Posted on 27/10/2024 17:58

Such lovely photos nellie. Thank you so much for sharing them. It is indeed one of my very favourite places. We have some very happy memories of wonderful family times spent there. Yes it is a very steep walk back up to the top. I am sure it is much steeper than it used to be 😁.

DEBSC replied on 27/10/2024 18:21

Posted on 27/10/2024 18:21

Home now, not a bad journey, until we got to the North Devon Link Road and again it was closed, hope that it wasn’t an accident but more likely road works, the upgrade was supposed to be finished by this summer but no where near finished yet. We ignored the diversion and took the locals route down the back country lanes then picked it up again further along.

I bought some meat from a butcher there, very reasonable price and British meat, put it all in the cool bag with some frozen food and managed to get the frozen food home still frozen, just popped it all in the freezer and fridge. If the meat is ok then I might buy more next time we go, can’t get it for that price or looking so good here.

We stopped briefly at Gloucester Services, goodness it was rammed, long queues for everything except the loo. Mixture of good weather and half term maybe.I bought a fig loaf which we will have for tea in a moment with some cheese.

Well it was a good break, beautiful weather today, would like to have stayed longer. Caravan all winterised, we are getting quicker at blowing the water out of pipes with the Floe. Piles of bedding washing brought home, will start tomorrow. Garden absolutely covered in leaves from the wood, I will start that later in the week. Oh, and I’ve got a miserable OH who got home to a tax letter, I must say it is a bit steep and we’re not sure why so suddenly.

DSB replied on 27/10/2024 20:52

Posted on 27/10/2024 15:52 by DavidKlyne

The forecast was good for today and it proved to be reliable. Spent most of the morning in the garden tidying a few things up. I really need to do some weeding at ground level but my knees will often not co-operate!!! Cleared up lots of leaves but many more to come. Just not looking forward to it getting darker an hour earlier. 

David

Posted on 27/10/2024 20:52

We decided to have a few days away in the caravan.  Weather was good travelling, but the sun was quite low in the sky, which made driving a little difficult.

Took a look at the forcast for the next few days... It looked better in the South East, so we've landed at Bearsted CAMC site in Kent... travelled down after church this morning.  The traffic was fairly heavy on the M1 & M25...  thought of you as we passed tbe signs for MK... 😀.  Although the weather has been good and the forcast was reasonable, it may well change - know doubt time will tell!!

David

nelliethehooker replied on 27/10/2024 21:39

Posted on 27/10/2024 21:39

Thanks, Millie. 

It was a lovely start to the day, sunshine and a gentle breeze, ideal for getting the washing dried outside!! Drove around to Robin Hood's Bay, but it was so busy we just kept going and parked up on the Moors above, where we had a couple of walks. After getting back to the van, and a brew, I had an hour's walk down onto the coastal path before dinner. It started to rain around 18:00 and is still doing so at the moment,  so it will be a wet walk out shortly. Today's photo is our lunchtime view, down to RHB.

Enjoy your stay down in Kent, David.

It's a shame you forgot about your free night, Francis, as it is way too late to claim it now unfortunately.  Hope you have managed  to fit it in this time, WN, having missed out last time around. Where are you thinking of going to this week?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook