What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

richardandros replied on 22/10/2024 15:28

Posted on 22/10/2024 15:28

In view of the lovely weather we are having here at the moment, I bit the bullet today and got stuck into the one caravanning job I loathe - cleaning the roof! With all the rain of previous weeks, it was almost as green as the lawn!!  Much to my surprise, it came off quite easily although I have to say that the little electric re-chargeable rotary brush that DSB recommended last year was of great assistance in the stubborn areas.

At least it shouldn't get too bad over the winter, now.

A 'tip' day tomorrow to get rid of all the packaging from the new fridge plus 4 old toilet seats.  Isn't life exciting?undecided

Wherenext replied on 22/10/2024 19:49

Posted on 22/10/2024 19:49

Richard - "4 old toilet seats?" What was it? A BOGOF or maybe an "Off-Bog?"smile

Quiet morning stroll around a local nature reserve this morning, trying to get some equilibrium back into our life. Lovely day for it and it did the trick. MiL had a craft class this afternoon so we were able to tarry. She gets picked up and delivered back home.

Rearranged dental appointment tomorrow followed by a lunch date with my cousin and her OH. Should be fun, the lunch that is, as we always have a laugh.

nelliethehooker replied on 22/10/2024 20:42

Posted on 22/10/2024 20:42

Another fine day so we had a walk around Bedale in the morning along by the river then after a look at the limited market continued with a stroll around the park. Drove onto the interesting Thornton  Stewart after lunch were we visit the village church St Oswolds, which lies about 1/2 ml down a wooded lane, well away from all the village properties, and is the oldest chuch in Wensleydale, parts dating from Norman period. In the middle of the village is Fort Horn which was apparently constructed as an armoury and store room for the corps of volunteers ‘during the troublous times of the French war’. No doubt the upper room would also have been an observation post, with watchers ready to the raise the alarm if Napoleon’s army was spotted marching into Masham. After hostilities ended in 1815 Fort Horn was converted into a dwelling. But with its martial name and bold crenellations it continues to commemorate George Horn’s patriotic gesture of raising volunteers and building the fort. 

Takethedogalong replied on 22/10/2024 22:25

Posted on 22/10/2024 22:25

Looks interesting Nellie👍

Lovely weather here today as well, so a couple of hours logging, and in garden this morning, then vets for a check up, and sort out next six months meds. Little drive out to a lovely local garden centre for a coffee.

Glad you have had a more normal day WN, good to get rid of the COVID.

Rufs replied on 23/10/2024 15:51

Posted on 23/10/2024 15:51

Just another day at the office, and we are supposed to have something similar for the next 10 days.

Was surprised today at just how few folk there were out and about, several swimming and a party in the beach side sauna, but no queues at the ice cream van laughing

Wherenext replied on 23/10/2024 19:02

Posted on 23/10/2024 19:02

Had a full day but not overly taxing. Dentist visit to Chester, which was remarkably quiet, then as OH was with me I was forced into M&S to buy some new trousers. I was told that 2 pairs at home were about to be binned. So I was blind-sided.

Had a lovely lunch date with cousin and her OH. We all felt better for it as they've not long recovered from Covid, plus we all enjoyed the meal itself. Best of all was a saving of nearly £50 off the meal as the pub group hand out vouchers during the year and we both had enough to help with the bill.

Then home and a first chat with our new neighbours. They're busy knocking seven bells out of the house and garden. Good luck to them.

nelliethehooker replied on 23/10/2024 21:36

Posted on 23/10/2024 21:36

Sounds like a successful day out, WN, glad to read that things are getting back to normal. Guess you are relieved that next door now has new residents. 

The morning started off rather foggy and it wasn't until after 11:00 before it cleared and the sun came out, and by that time we were at Kipling Hall. We had a walk around the grounds, with the intention of circling the lake but had to reverse our route due to a flooded path, so split the walk into two parts. After lunch we visited the House where there were some very well informed volunteer room stewards, so we learnt a lot about the history of the 4 separate families that have owned the property since it was first built around 1625. Stopped off in Catterick Garrison for some shopping on the way back to the van. 

milliehull replied on 24/10/2024 11:39

Posted on 24/10/2024 11:39

Lovely photos nellie. You are visiting some very interesting places.

WN I am pleased to hear that you and Mrs WN are feeling better and your life is getting back to normal. It sounds as though you had a lovely meet up with your cousin.

It has been an 'interesting' few days here. We had a Ring doorbell fitted at the weekend as there have been one or two 'incidents' recently in our area. Daughter and SIL came to fit it for us.  The physical fitting was a doddle but connecting it to the WiFi was complicated (well for me anyway!). We had also bought a small Alexa screen so when I am out with my phone OH can still see who is at the door. Daughter was really helpful setting it all up. OH has discovered the joys of having an Alexa and keeps asking her to play Dave Brubeck (he is a fan). Then on Sunday our front door lock,which has been 'iffy' for a while, decided to give up completely and locked us in the house. We had to go out via the conservatory and the back gate. We rang our handy handyman on Monday morning and although he had another job booked he came straight round and dismantled the lock and let us out of the house.  We now have a new door lock. We then had to have extra keys cut for our children at Timpsons - I hadn't realised how expensive they are - £10 each! I went to Specsavers yesterday to collect my new glasses - more expense.

Very pleasant weather here this week, quite mild and sunny some of the time. Long may it last.

heddlo replied on 24/10/2024 13:58

Posted on 24/10/2024 13:58

We visited Kipling Hall a couple of years ago Nellie, an enjoyable visit from memory and, as you say, the room stewards were great and one particularly was ‘interestingly different’ and very knowledgeable.  You are in a lovely area with lots to see.  Enjoy. 

Glad you were able to get out of your house eventually Milliehull.  Like you we have had a busy and expensive time of it lately…. needed a new fridge/freezer as ours gave up, OH had new glasses, and we had a new rear garage door fitted, all this along with decorating the study which is still ongoing.  We will be glad to get away soon as we have booked a cottage in the Lake District.

Talking of Alexa she can surprise you at times by suddenly speaking and asking a random question about whether or not we would like this book?  Also we’ve had ‘sorry I don’t know that’ even though we hadn’t asked her anything.  It can be a bit weird!!! 😂 

Pleased to hear you are both recovered from Covid WN.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook