What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

RedKite replied on 10/10/2024 09:03

Posted on 10/10/2024 09:03

Sorry to hear about folks and car batteries and can sympathise as we were going shopping yesterday and OH went to start the Landcruiser heyho flat battery and it has two so have the same piece of kit as DK it started and no problems for rest of trip but he will check batteries to see if one of them is failing as they were purchased together and Bosch ones 2nd time this has happened so part of his chores today.

Well we had very strong winds last night so cars were moved out of reach of oak trees all ok this morning and only a small piece of branch down but other areas have had it very bad with flooding and a lot of trees down.

DSB replied on 10/10/2024 09:43

Posted on 10/10/2024 08:25 by DavidKlyne

We can go several days without using the car so with our previous vehicle, especially in winter, could be difficult to start despite a recent battery. I got myself a power pack from Machine Mart, £60/70 from memory. Very easy to use it to start the car and it can be used for all sorts of other things as  charging your phone.

David

Posted on 10/10/2024 09:43

That sound a good idea, David.  I may well look out for one of those!!

David

KjellNN replied on 10/10/2024 10:56

Posted on 10/10/2024 05:07 by richardandros

Sorry to hear about the  battery problems, David - but it serves as a timely reminder to me to do something about mine. I've had the Touareg from new and it's now over 9 years old - still with the original battery. Never had a car that long before but I'm reluctant to part with it because it's the best tow car I have ever had.

No indication that there is anything wrong with the battery and our local garage just can't believe it's the original one - but it won't last forever and I think it would be sensible to change it before it has to work harder this winter.

Trouble is - it's not as simple as yours to change.  The battery is under the front passenger seat and that has to come out firstfrown!

Posted on 10/10/2024 10:56

You may remember that I had to replace the one in our Touareg not so long ago, it is a pain that it is under the seat as it makes it a lengthy process.    

After getting the seat loose, I was able to tip it back far enough to get the battery out and the new one installed, but I needed help as these batteries are very heavy.  I had to get our SIL to do the heavy lifting.

KjellNN replied on 10/10/2024 11:05

Posted on 10/10/2024 11:05

Sunny today, meantime, here in Kendal.  Yesterday was dry but very windy until about midnight, much less windy over in Windermere.   We went over there to Lakeland to stock up on a few things for us and DD, and also had lunch in their restaurant.  Very easy to spend a lot in the store!

Today we need a little food shopping and fuel for the car, looks like Sainsburys and Morrisons just down the road are both the same price for diesel.

Quite a turnover of outfits on the site as there are a lot of MHs, possibly more than usual as the Spital site nearer town is closed at present.

mickysf replied on 10/10/2024 11:38

Posted on 10/10/2024 11:38

Off to the doctors for us for Covid and Flu jabs. Rain has curtailed our plans so it’s a paperwork day, insurance, tax, tracker subscriptions and booking in of MOTs/services for all vehicles. This happening at the same time for us, I don’t recall planning it this way, it just seemed to happen. Costly month but all over and done with in October and then forgotten for 11 months.

Planning our next visits too, North Yorks coast and then Clumber and Cambridge. Let’s hope all goes well for the MOT’s. I’ll be paying my deposits for sites so fingers crossed. 

richardandros replied on 10/10/2024 12:04

Posted on 10/10/2024 12:04

"You may remember that I had to replace the one in our Touareg not so long ago, it is a pain that it is under the seat as it makes it a lengthy process."

Not as lengthy as our main dealer made out Kj! I remember when I collected the car, I asked the salesman where the battery was because it wasn't under the bonnet.

"Under the passenger seat", said the salesman "and it's a two day job to change it".

When I mentioned it to our local (small) garage who do all the work on our cars - they fell about laughing and made an inevitable disparaging comment about main dealerswink.

Takethedogalong replied on 10/10/2024 12:07

Posted on 09/10/2024 20:03 by Tinwheeler

We’ve had to stop feeding birds because we realised we were making them targets for squirrels. A few times we witnessed squirrels pouncing on birds as they ate. I hadn’t realised until then that squirrels are omnivores. The birds will fend for themselves and we might have saved a few by not feeding them.

Posted on 10/10/2024 12:07

Never seen them actually pouncing on birds feeding, but they do raid nests. It’s often squirrel v Magpie/Jackdaws here, at certain nesting times of year☹️ Lots of squawking and shrieking. Couple of local cats like to join in the mayhem as well. I water pistol the whole lot at times🤭

Oh has put up lots of nest boxes, different set ups, to attract the smaller song birds, and we still have variegated hedges, so we get a lot of nests. Wrens like to use those little nest pockets, line them with moss and they keep warm all year round. Blue Tits, great tits, Coal Tits, and we did once have a Goldcrest nesting in a small conifer. We have resident Sparrow hawks close by though, so it can get a bit fraught. Buzzards are close by as well. I have seen a pair of Ravens a few times up at Mum’s, goodness knows where they are living, but a great sight to see.

Takethedogalong replied on 10/10/2024 12:17

Posted on 10/10/2024 08:25 by DavidKlyne

We can go several days without using the car so with our previous vehicle, especially in winter, could be difficult to start despite a recent battery. I got myself a power pack from Machine Mart, £60/70 from memory. Very easy to use it to start the car and it can be used for all sorts of other things as  charging your phone.

David

Posted on 10/10/2024 12:17

Our big Jeep can be like this occasionally. OH replaced alternator a couple of years ago and this improved things. But it takes a heck of punch to get things rolling, so we try and use it on a decent run most days. We have a spare battery in garage that is kept charged, so if it won’t start, it’s an easy swop over. Meanwhile, MH can go two three months without rolling a wheel and so far has always started. I think it’s all the sophisticated stuff on modern cars that needs the oomph. The Jeep clicks and whirrs to itself long after ignition is turned off. Computers, alarms, switching to German language…..🤣 a mind of its own!

DEBSC replied on 10/10/2024 16:26

Posted on 10/10/2024 16:26

We were supposed to be going to Exeter for a day out today, OH likes to go there now and again, but Ive been feeling under the weather yesterday and today, not ill exactly just not right, I’m wondering if it’s anything to do with the two injections on Saturday but it seems a bit late. I tidied up the garden for a bit but couldn’t keep it up so I’m sat with my feet up. I was looking online and on a whim booked a couple of days away in a Travelodge next month, OH said he hopes I’m back to normal tomorrow or I’ll have time to make more plans and spend more money.

We moved the bird table, so far so good, but we’ll see, the squirrels seem to be looking for a way up. I’ve found there is less spillage of bird food… or birds just chucking it on the floor, since we got the caged bird feeders, they don’t like to sit on them feeding for too long, they seem to grab and go, so hopefully far less wastage.

nelliethehooker replied on 10/10/2024 21:25

Posted on 10/10/2024 21:25

A fine calm sunny day after the wind and rain of yesterday. OH did another roundabout washing today and it was dry by mid afternoon. Drove through to Hawick for a wander around, filling up with diesel at Morrison's where it was 130.7 per litre, the cheapest we have seen at a supermarket in a long while. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook