What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Takethedogalong replied on 09/10/2024 18:41

Posted on 09/10/2024 17:49 by Cornersteady

Thank you and yes brutal is certainly the word, I can normally tolerate pain quite well but this was something else, it only lasted a few minutes but wow.  

It's wonderful today being able to walk around again without any pain. It's a little sore but not that horrible stabbing, piercing pain that went with every step.

Posted on 09/10/2024 18:41

😱Sounds awful.

Takethedogalong replied on 09/10/2024 18:46

Posted on 09/10/2024 18:46

OH has always fed birds, but it can get expensive. He orders a bulk sack of quality food from Vine House Farm. Our squirrels are super fit and glossy🤔 I think there is a connection. I can cope with the squirrels, it’s our rat that I am waging war on😡 We have a big, live capture trap out at the moment, but Mr Super rat has obviously found a way of getting in, eating his fill and getting back out again. I am getting close to borrowing an air rifle……..l

Takethedogalong replied on 09/10/2024 18:48

Posted on 09/10/2024 17:18 by milliehull

WN I am so sorry to hear that you and Mrs WN have Covid and I do hope that it is not too bad and that you soon make a full recovery. Best of luck with your new meds. I am like bakers in that I try not to read all the contraindications when getting a new prescription but OH insists on reading all the small print.

We went for our covid jabs (the Moderna) at the pharmacy this morning. They couldn't do the flu jab as well without an appointment so we will keep our appointment for those at the GP's in 10 days time. Lidl is right opposite the pharmacy so we did our shopping there on our way home. It is raining again here but luckily so far it is not as heavy as last night when it absolutely hammered it down and the roads were flooded again (blocked drains!)

As to bird feeders, we put ours away a few months ago as they were only attracting the squirrel (only 1), the pigeons and the magpies. No little birds at all this year which is a great shame.

We bought an air fryer last year, a two drawer Ninja, and wouldn't be without it. We use it most nights as we couldn't see the point of pre heating and using our big oven for just the two of us.

Next door's roofers are still here. OH has now barricaded our front drive with our wheelie bins so they can't use it to park their vans and equipment on it as they had been doing. OH and our opposite neighbour (who used to be a builder at some point) have decided that they are a load of 'cowboys'. I feel so sorry for the ladies living next door and we feel they are being ripped off. 

Posted on 09/10/2024 18:48

Sounds a bad do next door Millie. I hope things go well for them.

Tinwheeler replied on 09/10/2024 20:03

Posted on 09/10/2024 20:03

We’ve had to stop feeding birds because we realised we were making them targets for squirrels. A few times we witnessed squirrels pouncing on birds as they ate. I hadn’t realised until then that squirrels are omnivores. The birds will fend for themselves and we might have saved a few by not feeding them.

mickysf replied on 09/10/2024 21:32

Posted on 09/10/2024 20:03 by Tinwheeler

We’ve had to stop feeding birds because we realised we were making them targets for squirrels. A few times we witnessed squirrels pouncing on birds as they ate. I hadn’t realised until then that squirrels are omnivores. The birds will fend for themselves and we might have saved a few by not feeding them.

Posted on 09/10/2024 21:32

Yes, squirrels will eat birds, eggs and nestlings although they are not a major part of their diet. The domestic cat is by far a more significant predator killing many birds. 

nelliethehooker replied on 09/10/2024 22:05

Posted on 09/10/2024 22:05

WN, sorry to hear that both you and Mrs WN are suffering from Covid, and hope that both of you are soon rid of it. 

R&R, fingers crossed that your adverse reaction to the injections are soon over. Hopefully no-one else suffers after having their injections.

So far we have avoided the virus, and perhaps the next round of jabs, which we get next week,  will continue to shield us from it. 

We have moved further south, to the C&CC's Jedburgh site. We were able to get packed up in the dry but ran into rain soon after leaving Dunbar, and it has continued for most of the day, but thankfully much lighter here than in the route down. There are only 10 units on the site, with the majority being M/Hs, whereas at Dunbar there was a predominance of caravans.

DSB replied on 09/10/2024 22:25

Posted on 09/10/2024 22:25

Well, we've had 'one of those days' today!!  Packed up at Bridlington CAMC site.  Got into the car ready to hitch up and...... no power at all - a completely flat battery!  Called Mayday/ Green Flag, who arived around 12.30pm.  They jump started the car, but confirmed that the battery was basically worn out and I needed a new one.  Once the car was started, I could drive it....  so we hitched up, drove from Bridlington to Tamworth, dropped of the caravan at the storeage and ended up at Halfords for a new battery.... making sure that we didn't switch off the car engine, until Halfords confirmed they had a battery.

All sorted now, but it did  put us back, time wise, and it was around 6.30pm before we arrived home....

David

richardandros replied on 10/10/2024 05:07

Posted on 09/10/2024 22:25 by DSB

Well, we've had 'one of those days' today!!  Packed up at Bridlington CAMC site.  Got into the car ready to hitch up and...... no power at all - a completely flat battery!  Called Mayday/ Green Flag, who arived around 12.30pm.  They jump started the car, but confirmed that the battery was basically worn out and I needed a new one.  Once the car was started, I could drive it....  so we hitched up, drove from Bridlington to Tamworth, dropped of the caravan at the storeage and ended up at Halfords for a new battery.... making sure that we didn't switch off the car engine, until Halfords confirmed they had a battery.

All sorted now, but it did  put us back, time wise, and it was around 6.30pm before we arrived home....

David

Posted on 10/10/2024 05:07

Sorry to hear about the  battery problems, David - but it serves as a timely reminder to me to do something about mine. I've had the Touareg from new and it's now over 9 years old - still with the original battery. Never had a car that long before but I'm reluctant to part with it because it's the best tow car I have ever had.

No indication that there is anything wrong with the battery and our local garage just can't believe it's the original one - but it won't last forever and I think it would be sensible to change it before it has to work harder this winter.

Trouble is - it's not as simple as yours to change.  The battery is under the front passenger seat and that has to come out firstfrown!

DavidKlyne replied on 10/10/2024 08:25

Posted on 10/10/2024 08:25

We can go several days without using the car so with our previous vehicle, especially in winter, could be difficult to start despite a recent battery. I got myself a power pack from Machine Mart, £60/70 from memory. Very easy to use it to start the car and it can be used for all sorts of other things as  charging your phone.

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook