What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

DSB replied on 23/08/2024 08:57

Posted on 22/08/2024 20:43 by DavidKlyne

It's a long time since I have had much to do with a 6 year old child but my eldest son has a grandchild through marriage. It's a complicated story. Well young Mila is staying with them for a week. (the cats have gone into hiding!) It was her 6th birthday recently and Margaret in her wisdom thought it would be nice to take her shopping for some clothes. Well what a tornado (not misbehaved) she was going around the children's clothing department like a professional shopper! I couldn't keep up so went off to look at something else! Decisions made and things purchased and it was a relief to have a drink and cake in the JL Restaurant. Unfortunately this gave Mila a second wind and she still had more things she wanted so she and Paul went to Primark whilst we finished our cake! Don't get me wrong she is an absolute delight but her levels of energy out strip us by almost a 100 to 1!!! So all you that look after young grand children you have my admiration.

David

Posted on 23/08/2024 08:57

I know exactly how you feel, David.  Our daughter's little lad is 3 in a few weeks time and he is 'non-stop'.  We're currently staying with them on Lewis with Harris...  Wayne is into climbing and it looks like little Euan may well be taking after his dad!!  ๐Ÿ˜€

David

richardandros replied on 23/08/2024 11:13

Posted on 23/08/2024 11:13

Well I've had an eventful morning - so far!  The storm passed through, starting about 4.30 this morning. I'd have taken the awning down before it was due, but couldn't because it's been too windy to do that ever since we put it up! I have to say that the Veduta coped with gusts of up to 50mph extremely well - although I was a bit worried at times.

However, another couple on site didn't fare so well.  He is 82 and she is 77 and in a tent! no less - but the storm flattened their tent and ripped the roof to shreds. I and the couple next door dashed out to help as soon as we saw it happening about 8 o'clock - and managed to rescue all their equipment and get it stored in their car.  Biggest problem was that the elderly man couldn't find his hearing aids and they were buried somewhere in all the inevitable clutter inside the tent (we did find them eventually!). Sadly the tent is a write-off and I suspect that their tent camping days may have come to an end. Anyway, they were provided with a cuppa and breakfast and have now gone on their way home with the first load of gear and are coming back for the second load later. Feel more than a bit sad for them but they seem to have taken it in good spirits.

Oneputt replied on 23/08/2024 12:00

Posted on 23/08/2024 12:00

Felt a bit autumnal first thing.  We had rain and very strong winds.  Sorry for those who suffered damage but I do love strong winds, watched a couple of Marsh Harriers sky dancing, fascinating.  Went to the beach and big waves rolling in, sand stinging the face but the lovely sound of gravel rolling in the waves.

Booked 3 additional days at Kessingland at start of our next trip so we can take the grandtwins away 

Rufs replied on 23/08/2024 12:04

Posted on 23/08/2024 12:04

"If you feel old Rufs, imagine how we feel as our only Grandson is 30 yrs old!"

Gawd i will be 86 yrs old when that happens, but as my old dad used to say

"you are only as old as you feel"

was at hospital yesterday, only check up xray for OH's wrist which is now almost healed, and bumped into the consultant that did my knees some 12 years ago, he was chuffed to bits that i am still cycling & Swimming and said he would do me a good deal if they ever wear out and need replacing laughing

You know when it has been a rough night when the cruise ships are hiding behind the IOW, glorious now though but still a tad blowy

milliehull replied on 23/08/2024 20:50

Posted on 23/08/2024 20:50

We have had a lovely day today with daughter and eldest grand-daughter. We went to Barnsdale Gardens for a wander round followed by afternoon tea. It was my 80th birthday present from them. My birthday was actually in the winter but we waited until the summer weather for our visit. It really is a lovely place. We were so lucky with the weather as after a very windy night it was settling down by the time we got to Barnsdale.

milliehull replied on 23/08/2024 20:57

Posted on 23/08/2024 11:13 by richardandros

Well I've had an eventful morning - so far!  The storm passed through, starting about 4.30 this morning. I'd have taken the awning down before it was due, but couldn't because it's been too windy to do that ever since we put it up! I have to say that the Veduta coped with gusts of up to 50mph extremely well - although I was a bit worried at times.

However, another couple on site didn't fare so well.  He is 82 and she is 77 and in a tent! no less - but the storm flattened their tent and ripped the roof to shreds. I and the couple next door dashed out to help as soon as we saw it happening about 8 o'clock - and managed to rescue all their equipment and get it stored in their car.  Biggest problem was that the elderly man couldn't find his hearing aids and they were buried somewhere in all the inevitable clutter inside the tent (we did find them eventually!). Sadly the tent is a write-off and I suspect that their tent camping days may have come to an end. Anyway, they were provided with a cuppa and breakfast and have now gone on their way home with the first load of gear and are coming back for the second load later. Feel more than a bit sad for them but they seem to have taken it in good spirits.

Posted on 23/08/2024 20:57

That poor couple. I feel so sorry for them. Thank goodness they had you and several other people to help them.

Freddy55 replied on 23/08/2024 21:39

Posted on 23/08/2024 21:39

richardandros, well done you ๐Ÿ‘

milliehull, I remember going to Barnsdale a long time ago, we were staying just outside Peterborough. It wasn’t  long after Geoff died. I remember sitting in front of his bust (I assume it’s still there?) and feeling quite emotional. I bumped into one of his sons, he was the spitting image of his dad. The gardens were fabulous, I loved the different themes. Must try and get back there one day.

Last day here in Harrogate, so we went to Ripon. A really nice city (oldest in England, apparently) with a nice atmosphere. We visited the cathedral which became visible as we walked down a cobbled street. Sorry TDA, I couldn’t remember what you said (Hand Of God). Bought a couple of rather lovely jam/cream scones from a bakers in the market square, yummy ๐Ÿ˜‹ 

nelliethehooker replied on 23/08/2024 21:40

Posted on 23/08/2024 21:40

Lovely photos, Millie, and pleased to re,as that you had a fine day for your belated birthday gift. 

R&R, such a shame for the elderly couple but thankfully they were unhurt, by the sounds of it. Grand that fellow campers were around to help them out.

We were up early this morning to ensure we were about should we be the first on the boiler service engineer's list, and thankfully he was! The whole job was completed by 8:45, great service. It stayed dry for most of the day although rather windy, but we have had some more rain this evening.

Takethedogalong replied on 23/08/2024 22:46

Posted on 23/08/2024 22:46

Well done to whoever helped out the camping couple, fantastic commitment to still be out camping๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Barnsdale is on my list of gardens to visit, and that afternoon tea looks very nice๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜

We had a wild night here, but thankfully no damage. Quick visit up to Mums today, she was too tired to sit out in her chair today, so I got away early. Only for a bit of Aldi shopping, but it’s been a nice warm sunny day here. OH had a dip, but I missed out as a neighbour called in.

Sounds like you had a nice visit Freddy๐Ÿ‘ Hope so, safe travels on tomorrow. 
This is Ripon’s “Hand of God”. It’s a wonderful wooden hand that goes up and down, and looks as though it is blessing visitors๐Ÿคฃ Its actually a clever device used by the organist to help beat time for the choir singing in the Quire! ๐Ÿ˜ 

KjellNN replied on 23/08/2024 23:16

Posted on 23/08/2024 23:16

Spent most of today at our Guide Hall.  We were to get smart meters fitted between 13.00 and 17.00, with the engineer contacting OH to give a more specific time, so OH asked me to go there in the morning and start fitting our new wireless linked smoke alarms.

OH came down just before 13.00 with a packed lunch and we waited….and waited……I finished putting up all the alarms…..and at 15.30 OH said she reckoned nobody was coming.   A few minutes later her phone rang……Octopus had to cancel the appointment.

We will get £30 Compensation to the Guide account, but the first new appointment they could offer was while we should be on holiday, so no use.  OH will need to arrange one for later in the year.

So, a bit of a wasted day, the 14 smoke alarms only took me half a day to fit,  not an ideal situation when I could have been working in DD’s flat instead.

Off to Ikea tomorrow to pick up some stuff for DD and us, no meatball lunch this time, just a quick “click and collect” trip.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook