What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Rufs replied on 22/08/2024 14:48

Posted on 22/08/2024 14:48

You lot make me feel very old, grandchildren doing GCSE/A levels, we have 3 already at Uni, one in her 4th year, but we do have a granddaughter aged 10, i wonder what type of exams she will be sitting when she is 15-18 years of age. 

Miserable day here, but not complaining getting lots of indoor jobs done that i always put on the back burner when the sun is shining, have planted a few of our what were our house plants outdoors, so they will welcome a good soaking, we are off to Cornwall for the whole of September so they would no doubt die if left indoors, some had gotten a bit straggly so i gave them a good haircut hopefully they will thrive outdoors in some well sheltered positions. Surprised at just how dry the garden is, even the grass has been very slow in growing this year, i normally cut twice a week but this year mostly only once.

Off to E.G. this weekend to visit daughter, hope the weather improves for next week otherwise i might just have done my last swim of the season, could be too cold in October but cant complain, had a good season and thankfully the water companies in our area seem to have cleaned up their act and we are now seeing a quality of excellent for 2023 -2024, however, Cornwall in September should still be good, Crantock is one of my favourities and only 20 minutes from site followed by Godrevy and Perranporth although i am finding heavy surf quite difficult for my little legs now.yell

Freddy55 replied on 22/08/2024 16:26

Posted on 22/08/2024 16:26

“Lovely photos of Harlow Carr. Doesn’t look very busy though. We might try the Harrogate Site at some point Freddy, looks very nice, and Fodder next door is great.”

Looks can be deceiving, the main car parks were packed, we had to wait for a space. I think if I were to visit again, I’d be looking at early June, I do like springtime. If you were to visit the site, you’ll receive a 10% off voucher (Fodder), we used ours today. Prices are high, but so is the quality.

We did a tour today around the eastern part of Bowland(blue route TDA) taking in some lovely villages en-route. Slaidburn and Waddington, particularly nice. We noticed some white domes from the road from Harrogate to Skipton (Nidderdale?), anyone know what they are? 
Last day tomorrow, nothing planned as yet.

Takethedogalong replied on 22/08/2024 16:50

Posted on 22/08/2024 16:50

Glad you enjoyed your tour Freddy๐Ÿ‘ That route from Harrogate to Skipton is the A59 Blubberhouses route, scenic in its own right. The Domes are RAF Menwith Hill, a GCHQ listening station I think.
We parked up just outside the caravan site earlier this year and I said to OH it looked a nice site. We have family in Harrogate, (so a cheap park up if we need one), but it is a nice site. I often go to the Rock and Gem Shows in the Harrogate Pavilions, so a good stop for this. 

I’ve never seen Harlow Carr not busy to be honest.๐Ÿ˜

If you are bit stuck for something to do, Ripon is a nice town, Cathedral is lovely. There’s a car park not far from Cathedral, so an easy stroll for your wife. Fountains Abbey is lovely, but not without good walking legs I’m afraid, unless EH have a buggy cart to get up and down the hill.

milliehull replied on 22/08/2024 16:53

Posted on 22/08/2024 14:48 by Rufs

You lot make me feel very old, grandchildren doing GCSE/A levels, we have 3 already at Uni, one in her 4th year, but we do have a granddaughter aged 10, i wonder what type of exams she will be sitting when she is 15-18 years of age. 

Miserable day here, but not complaining getting lots of indoor jobs done that i always put on the back burner when the sun is shining, have planted a few of our what were our house plants outdoors, so they will welcome a good soaking, we are off to Cornwall for the whole of September so they would no doubt die if left indoors, some had gotten a bit straggly so i gave them a good haircut hopefully they will thrive outdoors in some well sheltered positions. Surprised at just how dry the garden is, even the grass has been very slow in growing this year, i normally cut twice a week but this year mostly only once.

Off to E.G. this weekend to visit daughter, hope the weather improves for next week otherwise i might just have done my last swim of the season, could be too cold in October but cant complain, had a good season and thankfully the water companies in our area seem to have cleaned up their act and we are now seeing a quality of excellent for 2023 -2024, however, Cornwall in September should still be good, Crantock is one of my favourities and only 20 minutes from site followed by Godrevy and Perranporth although i am finding heavy surf quite difficult for my little legs now.yell

Posted on 22/08/2024 16:53

Rufs Our 8 grandchildren's ages go from 29 down to 14 so quite a range! Yes I wonder what type of exams your 10 year old will be taking in the future or what the country will be like then. Everything seems to be changing so fast. I fear for them sometimes.

Rufs replied on 22/08/2024 16:53

Posted on 22/08/2024 16:53

"We noticed some white domes from the road from Harrogate to Skipton (Nidderdale?), anyone know what they are? "

probably as below, supposed to be the largest monitoring station in the world, i was stationed there for 12 months in approx 1968, was very hush hush and very well guarded, get too close and you were dead laughing

RAF Menwith Hill is a Royal Air Force station near Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England, which provides communications and intelligence support services to the United Kingdom and the United States

p.s. i was actually in the navy but i did what was called "sneaky beaky" work

Freddy55 replied on 22/08/2024 17:30

Posted on 22/08/2024 17:30

“If you are bit stuck for something to do, Ripon is a nice town, Cathedral is lovely. ”

Ripon it is then๐Ÿ‘ Harrogate itself is quite nice, with grand buildings, and nice green spaces. All in all, quite posh๐Ÿ™‚ 

Takethedogalong replied on 22/08/2024 19:42

Posted on 22/08/2024 19:42

Harrogate has always considered itself posh๐Ÿ˜ It is nice. Look up the Cathedral car park in Ripon, it’s where I used to park with my Mum and Dad, so that it wasn’t too bad a walk for them. If you go into the Cathedral, ask about the “Hand of God” if there is a guide around. It’s in the Quire. Hope you enjoy Ripon, we always do.๐Ÿ˜

DavidKlyne replied on 22/08/2024 20:28

Posted on 22/08/2024 08:07 by milliehull

David. Just to say that Nottingham isnt local to us or my friend but it seemed to be the only.option other than waiting 2 - 3 years for the NHS. She went to her outpatient apppintments by train and as she is on her own various friends helped out with transport as well. Not exactly ideal but worth it all in the end.

We transported son and his mates to and from the Beer Festival last night. Judging by the convivial atmosphere in the car when we picked them up a good time was had by all!

Now waiting to hear the GCSE results from 2 of our grandchildren. I expect the stress levels in their 2 houses are pretty high just now.

Posted on 22/08/2024 20:28

Thanks Millie

I think the first thing we have to sort out is what hospitals, outside of main hospitals, would be willing to do the operation given Margaret's previous heart operation. Once we get to see a proper consultant the decision path might be clearer. The problem is getting that initial appointment. I don't think Margaret is keen to pay, although she could!!!! However I suspect she might be persuaded depending on the NHS wait. 

David

DavidKlyne replied on 22/08/2024 20:43

Posted on 22/08/2024 20:43

It's a long time since I have had much to do with a 6 year old child but my eldest son has a grandchild through marriage. It's a complicated story. Well young Mila is staying with them for a week. (the cats have gone into hiding!) It was her 6th birthday recently and Margaret in her wisdom thought it would be nice to take her shopping for some clothes. Well what a tornado (not misbehaved) she was going around the children's clothing department like a professional shopper! I couldn't keep up so went off to look at something else! Decisions made and things purchased and it was a relief to have a drink and cake in the JL Restaurant. Unfortunately this gave Mila a second wind and she still had more things she wanted so she and Paul went to Primark whilst we finished our cake! Don't get me wrong she is an absolute delight but her levels of energy out strip us by almost a 100 to 1!!! So all you that look after young grand children you have my admiration.

David

nelliethehooker replied on 22/08/2024 21:55

Posted on 22/08/2024 21:55

Congratulations from me too, to all grandchildren passing exams, a stressful time for them and their parents!

If you feel old Rufs, imagine how we feel as our only Grandson is 30 yrs old!

More grand photos from those that have been out and about.

A belated happy birthday greetings from me too, Kjell. You certainly deserve a a day of rest from all your extra curricula activities!๐Ÿ˜Š

We had quite heavy rain and strong winds through the night but not as bad as forecast. It was raining again first thing but thankfully it had stopped by the time we were ready to pack up and return home. Easy short drive home and then the sun came out and OH  was able to get 4 rounds of washing done and dried outside. Unfortunately it has now started to rain again but the wind is less fierce than last night, so far at least.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook