What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Goldie146 replied on 30/07/2024 14:41

Posted on 30/07/2024 14:41

We're back from our week away. We've been going to New England day since 1976, off and on. Every year for the last 25 years I think. We were lucky and got our favourite pitch - a very wide pitch at the end of a cul de sac, on its own surrounded by trees and wind bushes.

The weather was OK. It looked better than it was (blue skies and sun, but a very cool sharp breeze). The first photo looks good, but the second is the reality.

We didn't do much apart from sleeping in and catching up on books. The WiFi was pitiful (even the Premium), but it might have been the pitch we were on (out of the way). Phone reception on EE was just OK. But it was fine. We were there to get away.

Back home to a deskful of paperwork and hay making.

Wherenext replied on 30/07/2024 18:28

Posted on 30/07/2024 18:28

These last 2 days have been filled to the brim, just like our garden waste bins. We've spent a goodly amount of time trimming the bushes at the front and bringing them down to eye level. Unfortunately some of them are well established holly, so a lot of sawing going on. Had to make 3 trips to the recycling centre today with 3 of the old style black bins on each trip. Still more to do.

Whilst tidying up a white panel van drew up next door and elicited no reply, unsurprisingly. Asked our advice of whereabouts of man-child who "lives" there. Turns out they were bailiffs. We had a friendly chat but I couldn't tell them where he was as I don't know. They tried the front door handle which was unlocked so they went in. Upshot is they're going to ask Environmental Agency to pay him a visit. These were hardened men but said they were shocked at the state of the living room. 

Never a dull moment around here. Then had a man call to give us a quote for replacing the up and over garage door with one that is electrically operated.

Phone call with younger brother and tales of woe, like we don't have enough, with older brother ringing in about an hour.

Might have the day off tomorrow and go for a good walk.

DEBSC replied on 30/07/2024 19:30

Posted on 30/07/2024 19:30

Our green garden bin gets emptied tomorrow so grass cut, some of the lilac cut down and large bush in the front garden cut back. The lilac needs much more cut off as it’s growing everywhere, so no flowers next year but it grows so fast. OH has ordered me a small chainsaw to make jobs like that easier for me. So I’ll tackle more of the lilac when it arrives. Green bin now full.  
Had a chat with new neighbours, who’ve been here a few months, nice people, they have two grown up children at home. She said that she was sorry the dog barks, told her that we barely hear it and it doesn’t bother us, they do call her in or distract her, so no problem for us. She’s a nice dog, a collie. So we think that we are lucky with our new neighbours. The previous ones were very nice but I’d much rather have the dog than the 4 cats who used our garden as a toilet and killed the birds.

DavidKlyne replied on 30/07/2024 20:37

Posted on 30/07/2024 20:37

We both find it difficult to cope with this hot weather so have not done much today, part of the luxury of being retired. Don't know how we coped with South of France or Italy as it was similar to what we have now. We treated our selves to a couple of small USB rechargeable hand held (or free standing) fans from JL/Waitrose only £12 each. Very effective. 3 speed and they seem to last quite a while between charges.

David

nelliethehooker replied on 30/07/2024 21:47

Posted on 30/07/2024 21:47

It has been fine for the last few days, thankfully not as hot as down south, and we have been busy with getting prepared for our next trip, as well as having yet another dental appointment. However we are now away for a few days, firstly on a non-EHU site near Lancaster before going to a CL to meet up with our daughter, SIL and in particular our grandson before he heads off to the Far East for an extended holiday then hopefully a job teaching EFL in Japan. We may fit in another THS, or two, on the way back home.  

It doesn't sounds like next door is a very nice place, WN, perhaps the EA will send in someone to clear out the house if they consider it a health hazard.

Wherenext replied on 31/07/2024 20:35

Posted on 31/07/2024 20:35

Enjoy your current trip Nellie.

Next door even worse than we thought. We'll await developments.

We were going to have a day off finishing the front bush cut back and actually did have a walk this morning but curtailed it when the guilty conscience kicked in. We did manage to get everything done and have promised ourselves to keep on top of it from now on.(Yeah, that's going to happen🤣).

Too bushed (pun intended) to do much else this afternoon.

nelliethehooker replied on 31/07/2024 21:36

Posted on 31/07/2024 21:36

Next door even worse than we thought. We'll await developments.

WN They didn't find a body there, did they?whatsurprised. You now need to get away for a couple of nights for a rest following your exurtions today!

It has been very hot day here today so we only did a couple of walks from the van. Walking by the river this morning we saw 8 juvenile Goosanders swimming together. It has clouded up this evening and is now a much more pleasant and comfortable temperature.

DEBSC replied on 01/08/2024 09:27

Posted on 01/08/2024 09:27

Like other places it was very hot here yesterday. I did garden for most of the day, with short breaks indoors but I was so glad of the cool shower in the late afternoon. At one point, due to being amongst thick growth of plants, I had on socks long trousers and wellies, I’m scared of toads, other small creatures and especially coming across a snake. They are in our woods and local fields so always worried they will come into our garden. As we were out so much on our recent break away we are in at the moment and I can’t bare sitting here looking at the garden if it is untidy. We never go far during the school holidays as it’s so crammed here, and certainly avoid the ‘hot spots’ and the beach.
Our granddaughter works on reception at one of the holiday camps and was telling us of some of her more obnoxious people staying there, some start from the moment they book in. Hard to believe how badly some people behave and how rude they can be, often with young children in tow, what has gone wrong with some people. However, she said that others can be lovely. She has certainly learned how to stick up for herself, but at just 19 it’s a hard lesson to have to learn. It does make me wonder how some people are brought up. Sadly the news of recent riots and the attacks on emergency workers confirms there is a real problem with some people.

Takethedogalong replied on 01/08/2024 11:10

Posted on 01/08/2024 11:10

Boy was it hot last night🥵 It’s been 28-29c for last few days, but huge downpour this morning, and it’s much nicer now.

I don’t mind Toads DEBSC, but I might jump at a snake. We have loads of frogs, I like them around the garden, they have been having a right old croak last couple of nights.
Your grand daughter has my sympathy, it’s a tough job is front of house. I used to keep an eye on some of our pool receptions if I was in the building at busy times, couldn’t believe some of the verbal abuse aimed at staff. They used to remain calm and polite. I did have to sort a few really bad customers out though. 

Wherenext replied on 01/08/2024 11:45

Posted on 01/08/2024 11:45

Mil and Mrs.WN going around the close this morning, slowly but going nevertheless so I've agreed to stay in for a parcel that's due. I'll have a stroll after lunch.

Managed the Tesco run early this morning. Really surprises me how much the traffic drops off in "rush hour" when school holidays are on. Hardly had to stop this morning.

We once found a Grass Snake skin that had been sloughed on our back garden a couple of years ago. Quite fascinating. They do tend to keep away if they see you. Believe it or not but they're more frightened of you than you are of them (although some people might say that's impossible!😂)

I agree with you DEBSC about how split peoples attitudes to their fellow humans are with regard to respect. Doesn't seem to be class orientated either. Parenting skills seem to have slipped somewhat.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook