What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

DEBSC replied on 01/08/2024 12:58

Posted on 01/08/2024 12:58

Oh believe me WN I am more frightened of them, a real phobia I’m afraid. You are right about lack of respect and rudeness not being class orientated. I worked as a Trading Standards officer for 25 years and dealt each day with numerous people. There were some minor rogues who were always polite and could be quite pleasant to deal with but some people who you really weren’t expecting to be nasty could be really unpleasant. Sadly some feel entitled and think they can get through life by trying to bully others. I really think that the entitled feeling ones is down to the way they were brought up. We soon learnt to deal with all sorts, start off by being nice but I could certainly stand my ground if I had to. I didn’t want to retire but when we were issued with stab vests I realised that the job, and sadly, a section of the public had changed from when I started.

Oneputt replied on 01/08/2024 13:08

Posted on 01/08/2024 13:08

We arrived home on Monday after a super 10 days away.  Even the M3/M25 behaved for us.

Unless we take the children away for a couple of days our next planned trip commences 1st September

All washing done and garden tidied up.  Had our first lot of this seasons runner beans for supper, they were gorgeous.

milliehull replied on 01/08/2024 13:16

Posted on 01/08/2024 13:16

We picked up our new (to us) car at the weekend.  The process seemed more complicated than I remembered from when we picked up the Mitsubishi 4 years. A different dealership and the car salesman liked the sound of his own voice. Luckily son and DIL were with us and DIL was having none of his sales talk and he eventually realised it! I had to insure the new car at the dealers on my phone but I managed it. I drove it in the evening when we went over to son and DIL's for a BBQ (about 15 miles) Lovely to drive but I need to get used to the clutch as it was a bit like 'kangaroo petrol'. I have only ever driven by little elderly Clio for a number of years so it is a bit of a learning curve. We had our 16 year old grandson for part of the day on Sunday as his parents were at the Latitude Festival (he wanted his evening meal and a lift to swimming!) and he had a play with all the gagets and managed to connect my mobile phone up to the car in case I want to listen to spotify in the car undecided. He also manadged to leave his swimming gear in the boot of the car and I got a frantic message on Tuesday afternoon to ask had we got it! Very intelligent boy but completley disorganised.

I agree with the attitude of some of the general public. I worked on the frontline in the ante natal clinic of our local marternity unit for many years. It was usually the relatives that were the worst. I think it is even worse now. Everyone seemed to think they were entitled to everything and that they shouldn't have to do anthing for themselves. They got very angry when the consultant didn't have a clinic at exactly the day and time they wanted.

Wherenext replied on 01/08/2024 14:13

Posted on 01/08/2024 14:13

Everyone seemed to think they were entitled

We blame L'Oreal and their strapline "Because you're worth it..." It's been downhill ever since.smile

Takethedogalong replied on 01/08/2024 14:26

Posted on 01/08/2024 14:26

Any kind of visit to a hospital, be it A&E, or even simply visiting someone on a Ward is an eye opener. How can folks be so ignorant and horrible around others that are trying to help them, or are so poorly. When my OH was in Northern General, and in the ICU, one of the best things about going there was the level of security and strict protocols for visitors. 

There are some very nasty individuals in places of influence as well, not doing anything but wind up those who are easily led into bad behaviour. ☹️

DEBSC replied on 01/08/2024 15:39

Posted on 01/08/2024 15:39

Glad that you got your new car Millie, I’m sure that you will get used to it. I really wouldn’t know how to drive a manual car now with the gear changing. I recently changed my car, the owner of the garage, who I first dealt with was lovely but I then had to see the other guy working there, he sounds just like the chap you saw, really irritating with all the sales speak. OH came out laughing saying,’well he just met his match’, so a bit like your DIL. At work we used to run law seminars for businesses, my boss always gave me the ones for car salespeople and estate agents, after running these for years and with around 80 delegates at a time I got used to their sales chat and how to move on with the seminars. Your grandson sounds just like mine with his forgetfulness.

DSB replied on 01/08/2024 16:04

Posted on 30/07/2024 20:37 by DavidKlyne

We both find it difficult to cope with this hot weather so have not done much today, part of the luxury of being retired. Don't know how we coped with South of France or Italy as it was similar to what we have now. We treated our selves to a couple of small USB rechargeable hand held (or free standing) fans from JL/Waitrose only £12 each. Very effective. 3 speed and they seem to last quite a while between charges.

David

Posted on 01/08/2024 16:04

.... I wished it was a little warmer here!  We're now at Stonehaven, but have driven to Aberdeen today.  Apart from some shopping, we went on to the beach - for a fairly short time!!,  It got a bit breezy, but managed to stay on for about an hour before a drive to the nearest Costa!  😀😀

David

Rufs replied on 01/08/2024 16:38

Posted on 01/08/2024 16:38

Phew!!! 28 degs today at the beach house, Cowes week so we have spent every afternoon down there hoping to see some sailing, but alas no wind, until today after lunch when a breeze did get up and the fleet came sailing out. Fireworks night tomorrow but not been many fireworks during the week due to the lack of wind, it will probably rain tomorrow just to spoil the fireworks.

Done lots of swimming this week, Solent has been very pleasant and crystal clear, long may it continue, probably until the next storm when Southern water will find another excuse to dump stuff into the Solent, fortunatly  for us most of the dummping is well towards the east of us so we dont seem to have many problems

milliehull replied on 01/08/2024 16:48

Posted on 01/08/2024 15:39 by DEBSC

Glad that you got your new car Millie, I’m sure that you will get used to it. I really wouldn’t know how to drive a manual car now with the gear changing. I recently changed my car, the owner of the garage, who I first dealt with was lovely but I then had to see the other guy working there, he sounds just like the chap you saw, really irritating with all the sales speak. OH came out laughing saying,’well he just met his match’, so a bit like your DIL. At work we used to run law seminars for businesses, my boss always gave me the ones for car salespeople and estate agents, after running these for years and with around 80 delegates at a time I got used to their sales chat and how to move on with the seminars. Your grandson sounds just like mine with his forgetfulness.

Posted on 01/08/2024 16:48

Yes the car salesman we dealt with certainly met his match with our DIL DEBSC.. She deals with complaints proceedures at work dealing with insurance companies who wont pay out so takes no nonsense. Apparently they call her the rottweiler at work! My manager used to say that the crosser I was with people I dealt with at work the more I smiled - the fixed smile 😁.

It is extremely hot here today. We are forecast thunderstorms later but no sign yet. It was cloudy first thing and we had spits and spots of rain but nothing useful. The garden could do with a downpour and so could we to clear the air.

Hope MIL coped with her walk this morning WN and that her ribs are a little less sore.

Enjoy your latest trip nellie. How long are you away for this time?

RedKite replied on 01/08/2024 17:14

Posted on 01/08/2024 17:14

At last a cooler day today after the heatwave with it being very hot  upto 41.3C on Tuesday so did some garden pruning this morning looks a lot better and moved two big plants in pots from being by the front door and now nearer the bedroom window as they were growing well and kept hitting them when we went pass and OH has built  a small wooden frame to prop one of my plants up and kept it off the path by the lounge window.

Hopefully it will stay cooler for a few days more as I would like to get a few more chores done outside.

Glad to hear your MIL is improving WN.

Our friend who has cancer is back home now a 6 hour operation and they have removed her Spleen as well as the lady parts as she calls it and has had a short walk outside the house but still gets very tired quickly and said it will be a longish recovery after the major surgery.

Keep cool folks and send us some rain ha ha.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook