What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

moulesy replied on 27/07/2024 18:00

Posted on 27/07/2024 18:00

I know this is a caravanning forum, but just in case anyone is on the lookout for a special place to celebrate a special occasion, I'd really recommend this hotel near Chagford. Very peaceful, (no mobile signal ) and lovely walks direct from the hotel - we haven't had to move the car since arriving! Great food & drink and the staff couldn't be more welcoming.

https://millendhotel.com/

RedKite replied on 27/07/2024 19:54

Posted on 27/07/2024 19:54

Just to say congrats from us  and glad you are enjoying your break away Moulesy, we had our 50th nearly three years ago.

Well it has got a lot warmer  today and the next 3 to 4 days are going to be hotter and will be in heatwave mode from 12noon tomorrow so will not be doing much outside for my birthday except in the morning heyho and thanks Nth for your wishes.

We had put a few adverts for some garden items on a local website so garden furniture gone and today my old mountain bike which was free due to its age a very nice person bought it for his daughter and he bought his dad along as he was local and he is from the Drome a bit further south and they bought us a small bottle of Syrup of Acacia home made to use on fruit etc apparently it is good for you.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend folks.

KjellNN replied on 27/07/2024 20:41

Posted on 27/07/2024 20:41

Lounge floor at the flat now complete, so tomorrow we start on the hallway, where there are 3 doorways to undercut, so progress will be slow.

OH asked us to re-measure for the  staircase handrail as she was not convinced on the sizes, turned out she was correct, so another bit  of handrail will need to be ordered on Monday.

DD will come and help me tomorrow too, then later on we have to go and pick up a free garden bench she has procured.

OH was left to look after the boys this afternoon as SIL announced, without checking that Gran was OK with being left with the boys, that he was off to see his Dad to watch  football……football, and teaching, is what he lives for it seems.

When he announced to the boys that he was off out, Callum asked why he was going out.  He replied that he was off to watch football with Grandad.  Callum then asked why Daddy needed to watch football, which Daddy did not have an answer to.

Callum was not impressed , and when Daddy left OH reported later that the boys both barely even said bye-bye, which I think is rather sad.  They just do not seem to have bonded with Daddy,  but Mummy is very important and gets an ecstatic reception when she comes home.

Oneputt replied on 27/07/2024 22:11

Posted on 27/07/2024 14:15 by Rufs

Wow!!! if that was Clanfield cricket club i played there must be 60 years ago, I was a Radio Operator in the Royal Navy for my sins and i spent some time doing training at HMS Mercury which was close by, it is a housing estate now i believe, i keep promising myself i will go and visit some of my old haunts but never do, you should be getting some good weather just now gorgeous this morning but some cloud sweeping in but ok for swimming i think high tide around 1700 ish so will be popping down for a dip, cut the grass this morning and successfully saved a Robin chick from the neighbours cat, i shot the cat plum on the side of the head, dont panic with a water pistol, they dont often come into the garden now.surprised

Posted on 27/07/2024 22:11

The club seems to be thriving with several teams including girls, ladies, mixed, juniors etc.. it has a nice club house, bar and changing rooms etc 

DavidKlyne replied on 28/07/2024 12:35

Posted on 28/07/2024 12:35

I usually only do jigsaws in the winter months but as we now no longer have the motorhome I thought  I would have a go at one, rather than waiting. The jigsaw is made up of Lego bricks forming a multi-coloured puzzle. Quite a challenge, especially when yo have a full box of piecessmile

David

vbfg replied on 28/07/2024 13:58

Posted on 27/07/2024 15:58 by richardandros

Many congratulations Mr & Mrs moulesy - hope you had a lovely day.

WN - totally agree about weather forecasts.  I usually check the BBC one - and to be blunt, it's rubbish. Both last month and this month, our time away in the van were predicted to be washouts, whereas in reality, the weather was wonderful. I did read some time ago, that it was due to a lot of their staff working from home where they didn't have access to the weather 'super' computers - but that sounds a bit far-fetched to me.

Had an 'interesting' afternoon, yesterday.  I was getting quite worried about my arm which is now completely black/purple from my shoulder down to my wrist.  It looks horrendous.  Took myself down to our Doctor's and when the Receptionist saw it - saying "what on earth have you done" - she gave me an emergency appointment with our own GP. I thought, based on the advice from the Doctor I saw on Tuesday that I was heading for A&E in Hull - which is akin to spending Friday night in Beirut (or perhaps Gaza, these days!)

Our Doctor was wonderful (as he always is) and spent ages explaining what was happening and why he wasn't overly concerned - although he was a bit horrified when he first saw it. Gave me some good advice and sent me on my way with the reassurance that a visit to A&E wasn't required.

I have to say that although I have been critical of our surgery in recent times, I couldn't have received better treatment.  I do think they do respond well when it is something potentially serious.

Posted on 28/07/2024 13:58

If BBC staff are working from home so the forecast is incorrect due to them not having access to super computers, one has to wonder why they are allowed to work from home, especially as it is the  viewers who are paying their wages, whether they want to or not?

DavidKlyne replied on 28/07/2024 14:13

Posted on 28/07/2024 13:58 by vbfg

If BBC staff are working from home so the forecast is incorrect due to them not having access to super computers, one has to wonder why they are allowed to work from home, especially as it is the  viewers who are paying their wages, whether they want to or not?

Posted on 28/07/2024 14:13

Not sure it should make any difference, see here https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=4217606191651399 

David

Tinwheeler replied on 28/07/2024 14:46

Posted on 28/07/2024 14:46

The BBC switched their weather forecast supplier from the Met Office to the Meteo Group a few years back and the forecasts haven’t been as accurate since then.

Wherenext replied on 28/07/2024 15:01

Posted on 28/07/2024 15:01

When the BBC switched we went over to using the Met Office but their own standards have slipped (see my post of yesterday as an example). Thinking about just wetting my finger and sticking it in the air.laughing

Busy day today. Gardening for 2 hours this morning then visiting the tip. Now that we only have the small runaround for tip visits I will have to make another trip.

Our council has just voted to move general waste collection to a 3 weekly cycle from 2. The reason given was that they need to up their recycling percentage to meet the Welsh Gov's target as fines loom. I fail to see how this would help as the solution seems to lie with educating those people who do not recycle or don't do it well enough. Moving a general waste collection won't get the message across. It would seem we are paying higher council tax for a reduction in service, particularly as the recycling centres are now closed for 2 of the weekdays.In addition I can see an increase in fly tipping looming.

Lovely day here. Hope those away are getting some of it.

Tinwheeler replied on 28/07/2024 15:10

Posted on 28/07/2024 15:10

My apology if I’ve posted this before.

Years ago, before centralisation, there was a Met Office based on an RAF station near where we lived. They had a piece of seaweed hung on the door and a poster which read "If all else fails, look out of the window".

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook